Star Trek discovery triggers alt right

PST: discuss Star Trek without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Re: Star Trek discovery triggers alt right

Post by Lord Revan »

Patroklos wrote: 2017-08-15 10:36am I think some of you are letting your homocentrism show. Its quite obvious that Starfleet has settled on Terran English as their operating language, which means that just because a ships name is an English word doesn't mean it is referencing a Terran source.

I am sure lots of species have ships in their history, pre and post space flight, named Defiant. Do we actually know the source of the USS Defiant's name choice? Are you sure its not a translation of the storied Andorian Sea Destroyer Ullu'umlav&*?
It should also be noted that certain concept derived names like "Defiant", "Enterprise", "Voyager", "Equinox", "Intrepid" or "Reliant" would be more or less universal and not "english".

Of the named ships in Discovery that have been revealed "Shenzou" and "Europa" would be "human exclusive" without a dout but "Discovery" means "something that has been discovered" and by no means shouldn't be a human only concept. Sure the name is in english but english seems to be official language of the United Federation of Planets probably since United Earth was vital in forming UFP, the other founders would probably still be at each other's throats had Earth not formed an alliance to oppose the Romulan that eventually grew into the Federation we know.
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
Prometheus Unbound
Jedi Master

Post by Prometheus Unbound »

Elheru Aran wrote: 2017-08-13 11:10pm
Prometheus Unbound wrote: 2017-08-13 11:24am
The Romulan Republic wrote: 2017-08-12 11:23pm How come no Federation ships with alien names, though? It gives the impression that the Federation really is... what did the Klingons call it? A Homo-sapiens only club?
Like the Gorkon, the Sarek, the ShirKahr, the Khitomer, the T'Kumbra, the G'Mat or the Surak? Then there's classes such as Andromeda, Antares, Galaxy, Nebula etc which are "alien" but non-specific.
How many of those are show/movie canon though? (the names, not the classes)
All of them. I was very careful to make sure they'd all appeared on the TV show. None are sourced from books / games / other as far as I know...

This is SD.net, you think as a Trekkie I'd try and pull some bullshit in a debate in 2017? :D The mods are itching for something to do I'd bet, I'd rather not go down that course.
NecronLord wrote:
Also, shorten your signature a couple of lines please.
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

Prometheus Unbound wrote: 2017-08-15 12:31pm
Prometheus Unbound wrote: 2017-08-13 11:24am

Like the Gorkon, the Sarek, the ShirKahr, the Khitomer, the T'Kumbra, the G'Mat or the Surak? Then there's classes such as Andromeda, Antares, Galaxy, Nebula etc which are "alien" but non-specific.
All of them. I was very careful to make sure they'd all appeared on the TV show. None are sourced from books / games / other as far as I know...

This is SD.net, you think as a Trekkie I'd try and pull some bullshit in a debate in 2017? :D The mods are itching for something to do I'd bet, I'd rather not go down that course.
I actually don't think the mods care THAT much as long as you're a reasonably honest debater. Most of the activity happens in N&P.

Anyway, I wasn't that concerned that you were bullshitting, I was mostly just curious and didn't recognize any of those names from onscreen ships in episodes I've seen. Of course, it's been a while since I've watched much Trek. Are these names from like... actual ships that appear, or are they like, stuff you can read off computer screens in high-def?
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
Q99
Jedi Council Member

Post by Q99 »

Elheru Aran wrote: 2017-08-15 01:27pm
Prometheus Unbound wrote: 2017-08-15 12:31pm

I actually don't think the mods care THAT much as long as you're a reasonably honest debater. Most of the activity happens in N&P.

Anyway, I wasn't that concerned that you were bullshitting, I was mostly just curious and didn't recognize any of those names from onscreen ships in episodes I've seen. Of course, it's been a while since I've watched much Trek. Are these names from like... actual ships that appear, or are they like, stuff you can read off computer screens in high-def?
Most of them are either 'in fleet shots/get blown up' or 'on a list of ships,' but the Vulcan command crew of the Nebula class T'Kumbra took on DS9 in a baseball game, so that's quite major, and the Gorkon is an admiral's flagship.

The interesting thing about Gorkon of course is it's a *Klingon* name, the Chancellor from STVI who started the peace process.
Swindle1984
Jedi Master

Post by Swindle1984 »

mr friendly guy wrote: 2017-05-25 03:36am
Prometheus Unbound wrote:I don't think Star Trek is aimed at the alt right :lol: :lol: Maybe go cheer on President Clarke in B5 or something.
But Clarke is too smart to be a Trump president. He actually is competent in getting rid of his political opponents. On the other hand, they both don't have any hair, so..... Although his hands were at least big enough to hold a gun. :lol:
Both Trump and people close to him (family, friends, employees) claim he carries a Model 1911 .45-caliber pistol and a .357 Magnum snubnose revolver for personal protection. Neither of those, particularly the latter, could be considered as having been designed for tiny, girly hands.

And yes, Clarke was better at eliminating his enemies within his administration, if only because he was willing to commit murder to do so.

Edit: His snubnose is actually a .38 Special +P, not a .357 Magnum (nearly as powerful, but not the same thing), and he carries an H&K USP .45-caliber pistol, not a 1911; I misremembered him carrying the 1911 because one was gifted to him upon his election.
Your ad here.
edaw1982
Padawan Learner

Post by edaw1982 »

Q99 wrote: 2017-05-26 01:01am Yea. Enterprise honestly bugged me with how relatively-white it was.
Enterprise bugged me with not acknowledging contributions to explorations of other countries.
No Sputnik. No Kudryavka? No Yuri Gagarin or Valentina Tereshkova?
"Put book front and center. He's our friend, we should honour him. Kaylee, find that kid who's taking a dirt-nap with baby Jesus. We need a hood ornment. Jayne! Try not to steal too much of their sh*t!"
edaw1982
Padawan Learner

Post by edaw1982 »

biostem wrote: 2017-05-26 09:42pm and d) that the Shenzhou (named after a Chinese city) had an asian captain. And before anyone calls me racist regarding d, my issue wasn't that the captain was asian, it was that they gave her a ship with a specifically asian name.
I suspect they've given her a Greek name now to avoid that whole, "Oh dear this is rather on the nose isn't it? It's not like we gave Sulu the USS Yamato or Sisko the USS Malcolm X or Janeway the USS Jean Batten"

Which I do like. It's not like someone of X-ethnicity has to have X-name. I mean it is the future.
If a redheaded Brit can convert to Islam and call himself Abdul, then why can't an Asian woman have a Greek name?

Eyebrow-raising aside, ultimately nobody cared that Picard, played by a very British actor was supposed to be French.

The Klingons are still funny looking but at least they're trying something different rather than, "Yo ho ho and a bottle of blood-wine!" as we're used to. The Starfleet Uniforms are a bit nBSG more than 'Trek' (especially for the Cage-era timeline).
"Put book front and center. He's our friend, we should honour him. Kaylee, find that kid who's taking a dirt-nap with baby Jesus. We need a hood ornment. Jayne! Try not to steal too much of their sh*t!"
Patroklos
Sith Devotee

Post by Patroklos »

When you have a fandom that literally invented and learns a language for an iconic race, you can leave that alone. Meddling there is simply not the best bang for your buck regarding the allocation of resources.
Q99
Jedi Council Member

Post by Q99 »

And if you do meddle there? Make sure it's *visibly* in addition to, and not raising questions of "where are my Klingons?".