Star Trek: Discovery - the first trailer

PST: discuss Star Trek without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

Iroscato
Jedi Council Member

Re: Star Trek: Discovery - the first trailer

Post by Iroscato »

Not to mention this is apparently going to be their flagship (hurr) show for their new streaming service. I dunno, I just want the old girl to find a new lease of life in an age where we have stuff like The Expanse.
Yeah, I've always taken the subtext of the Birther movement to be, "The rules don't count here! This is different! HE'S BLACK! BLACK, I SAY! ARE YOU ALL BLIND!?

- Raw Shark

Destiny and fate are for those too weak to forge their own futures. Where we are 'supposed' to be is irrelevent.

- SirNitram (RIP)
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

There is definitely a need for optimistic, idealistic SF like Star Trek, to counterbalance the endless flood of trendy grimdark that tells us "The world is shit and always will be, and real heroes are tough guy thugs."
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

I SUPPORT A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE TO REMOVE TRUMP FROM OFFICE.
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

The Romulan Republic wrote:There is definitely a need for optimistic, idealistic SF like Star Trek, to counterbalance the endless flood of trendy grimdark that tells us "The world is shit and always will be, and real heroes are tough guy thugs."
Better they do it well than half-ass it and let it flop on its face, though, in which case I'd rather they had not even tried. Television isn't a medium which really tolerates mediocrity well (does not apply to reality shows).
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
Iroscato
Jedi Council Member

Post by Iroscato »

Elheru Aran wrote:
The Romulan Republic wrote:There is definitely a need for optimistic, idealistic SF like Star Trek, to counterbalance the endless flood of trendy grimdark that tells us "The world is shit and always will be, and real heroes are tough guy thugs."
Better they do it well than half-ass it and let it flop on its face, though, in which case I'd rather they had not even tried. Television isn't a medium which really tolerates mediocrity well (does not apply to reality shows).
(Bolding mine)

Or cop shows...or soaps...or sitcoms... :P
Yeah, I've always taken the subtext of the Birther movement to be, "The rules don't count here! This is different! HE'S BLACK! BLACK, I SAY! ARE YOU ALL BLIND!?

- Raw Shark

Destiny and fate are for those too weak to forge their own futures. Where we are 'supposed' to be is irrelevent.

- SirNitram (RIP)
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

Elheru Aran wrote:
Nah, making mediocre reality shows is a stepping-stone to the Presidency. :D
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

I SUPPORT A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE TO REMOVE TRUMP FROM OFFICE.
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

Well, I suppose 'mediocrity' was the wrong word. 'Innovation' perhaps. 'Quality'? Whatever adjective you like, the fact is that television is a highly fickle medium. If you manage to make a nondescript show with the right cast that hits the right tropes and reaches enough people, that's generally enough to keep it around a few years at least. Try to bend the genre... you have to go big or go home. Lost would be a good example-- if it hadn't been such a big success, it'd have been canned after the first season because people wouldn't have had time for that shit.

With Trek, I have a feeling that CBS is a.) not particularly banking heavily on it succeeding, and b.) figuring that if it -does- succeed, it will do so by riding the shoulders of the established fanbase who will basically take whatever they're given, so they don't have to bother with publicity because the fans will hype it themselves.
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
houser2112
Padawan Learner

Post by houser2112 »

Elheru Aran wrote:With Trek, I have a feeling that CBS is a.) not particularly banking heavily on it succeeding, and b.) figuring that if it -does- succeed, it will do so by riding the shoulders of the established fanbase who will basically take whatever they're given, so they don't have to bother with publicity because the fans will hype it themselves.
I have to agree with this as well, although I believe shackling it to an online-only streaming service, especially one that you'll have to pay for, is going to hamstring it. I know that I'm not nearly so enthusiastic about a new Trek series that I'd be willing to shell out money for the privilege of watching it.
amigocabal
Jedi Knight

Post by amigocabal »

If I made a new series, it qould be about a Federation attempt to colonize a star system in the Delta Quadrant, taking place fifty years after Spock Prime went missing in that whole Hobus supernova debacle.

A transwarp corridor connects the colony with the Alpha Quadrant, allowing for relatively fast travel (six weeks), but is only available about once a year.

The colonists must make and defend their new life, while forging peaceful relations with nearby spacefaring peoples.

Subplots could include:

- A family trying to adapt to life in the colony.

- Archaeological investigations reveal that the world had been inhabited by a spacefaring people centuries before. Where are they now?

- Political intrigue, as some Federation officials and Starfleet officers lay a foundation to carve out their own empire in the Delta Quadrant, separate from the Federation.