Should Picard have been promoted?

PST: discuss Star Trek without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

Q99
Jedi Master

Re: Should Picard have been promoted?

Postby Q99 » 2017-04-21 10:40am

Additionally, the E-E is the absolute top of the line and new, Sovereign hulls are in very short supply, even more-so than Galaxies (While the E-D is still a newish design, by the time of Generations it is over a decade old and a newer gen of ships has begun being deployed... and even if they salvaged the Saucer, they'd likely put it on a new ship, no Engineering section means it isn't the Enterprise).

The Stargazer was a pretty old ship at the time, so it's loss is no surprise.

Also, thanks to SIFs, ships can be pretty collision resistant.

Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Postby Eternal_Freedom » 2017-04-21 11:42am

Lord Revan wrote:That said it wouldn't surprice at all if the Stargazer could have been repaired and returned to duty had starfleet been able to recover her right after the battle of maxia (though I suspect too much time had passed when she was recovered from the ferengi to make repairing her worth the effort), Enterprise (NCC-1701-D) lost the whole of the stardrive section and there was possibly (if not likely) heavy damage in the saucer section thanks to the unplanned crash landing.

Picard says in his closing log in Generations that while casualties were light, "the Enterprise herself cannot be salvaged."
"I could be bounded in a nutshell and count myself a king of infinite space, were it not that I have bad dreams" - Hamlet

“I’ve always thought the Yankees had something to do with it.” - Confederate General George Pickett, on being asked why his charge at Ghettysburg failed

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.

Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Postby Lord Revan » 2017-04-21 02:23pm

Eternal_Freedom wrote:
Lord Revan wrote:That said it wouldn't surprice at all if the Stargazer could have been repaired and returned to duty had starfleet been able to recover her right after the battle of maxia (though I suspect too much time had passed when she was recovered from the ferengi to make repairing her worth the effort), Enterprise (NCC-1701-D) lost the whole of the stardrive section and there was possibly (if not likely) heavy damage in the saucer section thanks to the unplanned crash landing.

Picard says in his closing log in Generations that while casualties were light, "the Enterprise herself cannot be salvaged."

I might have worded it better but my point is that the Enterprise had lost the stardrive section totally and there was most likely heavy damage on the saucer section (even though casualities were light) so the fact that Enterprise (NCC-1701-D) was written of as loss is not really a surprise.
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n

Return to “Pure Star Trek”