4K Video - Every TNG Episode at once

PST: discuss Star Trek without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

Prometheus Unbound
Jedi Master

4K Video - Every TNG Episode at once

Post by Prometheus Unbound »

Hello all o/

I've been working on a project the last few days. It's a bit of a strange one but I wanted to test some stuff in After Effects and Premiere so I thought let's go in at Warp 10.

I've made a 4K video (3,840 x 2,160) of every episode of Star Trek The Next Generation - the first 60 seconds of each show.

It's taken hundreds of gigabytes, days of converting, 12 hours of arranging things very carefully (AE doesn't have any "snap to" abilities like photoshop :( ) and then several hours of rendering to do this for no reason:

That is the full audio and the 1080p Blurays all playing at once. It's a bit of a jumble but see how many episodes you can name :D

It's quite interesting to watch the progression of the show, starting in Season 1 with *every single episode* starting with the ship in space either in orbit or moving toward the camera.

Season 2 is similar.

Season 3, we get 7 or 8 episodes starting with other characters instead of a captain's log. There's other locations and some action - even some explosions.

This continues in Season 4 and we see more location shots throughout 4 and 5.

By seasons 6 and 7 we're starting episodes with people exercising or reading a book - nothing like the first season. Brighter colours, more action - very different.

We also see there are only 2 TNG episodes with a teaser that is less than 60 seconds long. See if you can figure out which ones they are ;-)

Encounter At Farpoint (the first one on the grid) starts off with the Intro sequence - it has no teaser and aired as a TV Movie.

All Good Things was also aired as a TV movie so only has one screen.

I've also put together (because at this stage, why not lol) a season by season version - these are 20-something episodes per video of seasons 1-7 so you can view them individually if you so wish.

I hope you enjoy them. To answer the first question in your head (Why?) : "Because it's there."

----------------------

Season 1:

Season 2:

Season 3:

Season 4:

Season 5:

Season 6:

Season 7:
Last edited by Prometheus Unbound on 2017-02-04 02:54pm, edited 1 time in total.
NecronLord wrote:
Also, shorten your signature a couple of lines please.
Prometheus Unbound
Jedi Master

Re: 4K Video - Every TNG Episode at once

wrong button
NecronLord wrote:
Q99
Jedi Council Member

Post by Q99 »

Kinda interesting, yea ^^

How many times is the Enterprise destroyed in there? Just the once?
Prometheus Unbound
Jedi Master

Q99 wrote:Kinda interesting, yea ^^

How many times is the Enterprise destroyed in there? Just the once?
I think just the once in the Cause and Effect trailer - although it gets destroyed multiple times later in the episode of course.
NecronLord wrote:
Q99
Jedi Council Member

Post by Q99 »

Yea. Kinda surprising they only pulled a ship-destroyed-teaser fakeout once. I mean, there's Holodecks, Qs, etc..
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

Interesting. Yeah Cause and Effect caught my eye as well among all of them.
Prometheus Unbound
Jedi Master

Q99 wrote:Yea. Kinda surprising they only pulled a ship-destroyed-teaser fakeout once. I mean, there's Holodecks, Qs, etc..
That's cos TNG had good writers and didn't need to rely on fakeouts like some other shows *glances at Enterprise and late Voyager* :lol:

IT also meant that due to the restraint they had, when they did do it (in C&A) the first time TV audience saw it and were like "wut." And of course were hooked for the episode.

By the time Voyager did it or Enterprise blew up Earth I think in one teaser, it was like "yeah right." You can use that trick once on an audience ;-) TNG got their first and they waited 5.5 years to do it, too.
NecronLord wrote:
Tribble
Sith Devotee

Post by Tribble »

Cause and Effect seems to be the one that sticks out the most, though the opening to BOBW Part II is a close contender --> you know the deflector dish beam attack is powerful when it drowns out the audio from other episodes :P
"I reject your reality and substitute my own!" - The official Troll motto, as stated by Adam Savage
Prometheus Unbound
Jedi Master

Tribble wrote:Cause and Effect seems to be the one that sticks out the most, though the opening to BOBW Part II is a close contender --> you know the deflector dish beam attack is powerful when it drowns out the audio from other episodes :P

I had to change the audio on it as it actually over-powered the entire other 170 vids playing so I reduced its sound by 50%. You can hear it without alteration on the season 4 vid.
NecronLord wrote: