Captain's Log...

PST: discuss Star Trek without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

Prometheus Unbound
Jedi Master

Captain's Log...

Post by Prometheus Unbound »

Thoughts?

Suggestions? :D
NecronLord wrote:
Also, shorten your signature a couple of lines please.
NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Re: Captain's Log...

Post by NecronLord »

The 'Grabbed them by the pussy' reference is gauche and breaks SoD.
Superior Moderator - BotB - HAB [Drill Instructor]-Writer- Stardestroyer.net's resident Star-God.
"We believe in the systematic understanding of the physical world through observation and experimentation, argument and debate and most of all freedom of will." ~ Stargate: The Ark of Truth
Prometheus Unbound
Jedi Master

NecronLord wrote:The 'Grabbed them by the pussy' reference is gauche and breaks SoD.
Possibly a little too political perhaps as well.

I'll come up with something else and edit that in instead. The videos aren't meant to have any particular slant or bias toward anything it's just a commentary on Trek.

May I ask any other thoughts? Is it even funny? :S I have a particular sense of humour sometimes heh.
NecronLord wrote:
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

nah not really, nor does it really fit Prime-Kirk's character, to me at least Prime-Kirk while a ladies man did respect female starfleet officers as equals so something as openly sleazy that line on essentially official communications just isn't in character for him and as I stated it's not really funny not to mention the "joke" gets dated really soon as that recording is probably not really remembered much after the latest US elections.
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
Prometheus Unbound
Jedi Master

Lord Revan wrote:nah not really, nor does it really fit Prime-Kirk's character, to me at least Prime-Kirk while a ladies man did respect female starfleet officers as equals so something as openly sleazy that line on essentially official communications just isn't in character for him and as I stated it's not really funny not to mention the "joke" gets dated really soon as that recording is probably not really remembered much after the latest US elections.

I meant the concept as a whole :lol:

I find it impossible to know if the vids are funny or not - like the idea of them, the format etc. I can't judge my own humour.
NecronLord wrote:
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

Prometheus Unbound wrote:
Lord Revan wrote:nah not really, nor does it really fit Prime-Kirk's character, to me at least Prime-Kirk while a ladies man did respect female starfleet officers as equals so something as openly sleazy that line on essentially official communications just isn't in character for him and as I stated it's not really funny not to mention the "joke" gets dated really soon as that recording is probably not really remembered much after the latest US elections.

I meant the concept as a whole :lol:

I find it impossible to know if the vids are funny or not - like the idea of them, the format etc. I can't judge my own humour.
nothing wrong with the basic concept per say but I'd think it would funnier if Kirk was more professional, kind of trying to explain that yes all this sillyness did actually happen.
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
phred
Jedi Knight

Post by phred »

I was amused. Although you would probably be better off sticking to lines in the show, or at least paraphrasing them in an interesting way.

Pop culture references like 'Grabbed them by the pussy' get real old real fast
"Siege warfare, French for spawn camp" WTYP podcast

It's so bad it wraps back around to awesome then back to bad again, then back to halfway between awesome and bad. Like if ed wood directed a godzilla movie - Duckie
Prometheus Unbound
Jedi Master

phred wrote: Pop culture references like 'Grabbed them by the pussy' get real old real fast
It's the only "pop culture" thing I did and I'll remove it at some stage :)

Did a Two Parter yesterday

NecronLord wrote:
phred
Jedi Knight

Post by phred »

The cheesy music really helps
"Siege warfare, French for spawn camp" WTYP podcast

It's so bad it wraps back around to awesome then back to bad again, then back to halfway between awesome and bad. Like if ed wood directed a godzilla movie - Duckie
Prometheus Unbound
Jedi Master

New Episode - The Trouble with Tribbles

NecronLord wrote:
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

I like the idea of coming back over this sort of thing and having Kirk have to actually explain and defend some of his decisions instead of just sitting there grinning and going "yeah, that happened."

Because the idea that Kirk is a crazed incompetent making up bizarre excuses for doing random horrible shit is funny once, but it's not going to be funny over and over forever.

So you want to mix it up a little. Maybe complete a series like this, then do it from the other point of view, with Kirk having to sarcastically point out all the insane crap that Starfleet Command drops him in on a regular basis and how he has to deal with weird situations without support.

Like really, this random anthropologist was able to go to an alien planet and turn them all into Nazis as a demented sociology experiment? And now Kirk has to clean it up? Nobody in a position to brief him on this, nobody knew where the guy was going?

Or really, the planetary governor who randomly killed 4000 people decades ago can just join a traveling theater troupe and wander the galaxy, only to appear aboard Kirk's ship with his serial-killing daughter?

These incidents might actually be funnier to see from the point of view of sane Kirk and incompetent high command than the other way around.
Lord Revan wrote:nah not really, nor does it really fit Prime-Kirk's character, to me at least Prime-Kirk while a ladies man did respect female starfleet officers as equals...
Yes. On the whole, the real Kirk was a disciplined, professional man. He had a lot of love interests, some of whom threw themselves at him, and a few of whom he threw himself at, but:

1) He was surprisingly good at saying "no" when his duty and his crew were on the line (see Elaan of Troyius).
2) As noted, he treated his female subordinates, and for that matter the great majority of the women he ever met, with courtesy, dignity, and respect.
3) He never, so far as I can recall, stooped to sleaze. There may be a counterexample or two, but he was not a sleazy person on the whole. Of course, he's a 1960s TV protagonist, so go figure, but you have to work with the evidence you have.

This is why Zapp Brannigan is a parody of Kirk and not the real thing- because he has exaggerated version of all the man's vices, but none of the man's virtues.
so something as openly sleazy that line on essentially official communications just isn't in character for him and as I stated it's not really funny not to mention the "joke" gets dated really soon as that recording is probably not really remembered much after the latest US elections.
Honestly, I am really hoping that that recording stays in the electorate's memory for a long time.

If people in 2020 aren't thinking "Donald Trump's record on women's rights" and thinking "grabs them by the pussy," then it should be because something even worse came along to attribute to him. Trump doesn't deserve to ever have that one forgotten.

That being said, it's far enough from Kirk's character that having him say it really isn't funny.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
Prometheus Unbound
Jedi Master

Maybe complete a series like this, then do it from the other point of view, with Kirk having to sarcastically point out all the insane crap that Starfleet Command drops him in on a regular basis and how he has to deal with weird situations without support.

I do have four other series to cover, each with their own quirks and perspectives :)

Also was bored of rotoscoping today and realised they forgot to fill in the blue screen in Skin of Evil so I did it for them.

NecronLord wrote:
Prometheus Unbound
Jedi Master

Hello - Quick bump - First TNG episode is up: Encounter at Farpoint

Hope you enjoy.

NecronLord wrote:
Prometheus Unbound
Jedi Master

Fuck axanar, my fan films are better.

Early concept footage from TBOBW:

NecronLord wrote: