War between the Romulans and Klingons in the 23rd century(RAR)

PST: discuss Star Trek without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

War between the Romulans and Klingons in the 23rd century(RAR)

Post by FaxModem1 »

Let's say that before the events of Undiscovered Country, the Romulans and the Klingons go to war, over Klingon ambition or Romulan treachery, take your pick. This being before Praxis has exploded or the Khitomer Accords are made, and the UFP and Klingons are still in a cold war.

How does this affect the political landscape? What would the Federation do? How does this affect the galaxy at large?
Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Re: War between the Romulans and Klingons in the 23rd century(RAR)

Post by Borgholio »

Knowing the Feds, they would sit back and watch their two biggest rivals gut each other.
You will be assimilated...bunghole!
SpottedKitty
Jedi Master

Post by SpottedKitty »

I might be thinking of various Pocket Books stories, but isn't it fairly heavily implied here and there that the two of them have a go at each other every now and then? Maybe not an "official" war, but just a little something to keep the military budget churning over. :wink:
“Despite rumor, Death isn't cruel — merely terribly, terribly good at his job.”
Terry Pratchett, Sourcery
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

Borgholio wrote:Knowing the Feds, they would sit back and watch their two biggest rivals gut each other.
I imagine people are far more approving of that in this case than most where they're 'hands off'.
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

As the Roms and Klingons are not allies, the Federation is not bound to do anything.

So, they'll probably sit out of the war, and be ready to swoop in on the victor if it appears they are planning to go after the Federation next.
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

Solauren wrote:As the Roms and Klingons are not allies, the Federation is not bound to do anything.

So, they'll probably sit out of the war, and be ready to swoop in on the victor if it appears they are planning to go after the Federation next.
that or try to stop the war thru diplomatic ways if it seems like it's gonna spread. UFP seems in many ways a stablizing element in alpha and beta quadrants (at least for area most of ST happens in), also since this is pre-praxis the military fleets of the federation have not been mothballed yet. We got to remember that Klingons are and have never been against ending a war without total destruction of the enemy as long as there's an excuse they can use to do so without seeming "weak" and the romulans are the same in this matter, ironically here the romulans and klingons are more alike then either side wants to admit.
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

So long as the war doesn't spread, however, might as well let your enemies annhilate each other
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.
Darth Lucifer
Jedi Council Member

Post by Darth Lucifer »

I imagine that Starfleet would guard it's assets and borders, just in case one side or the other tries to involve the UFP somehow. Romulans are sneaky bastards and I wouldn't put it past either side to just take what they need by force from someone unfortunate enough to be a target.

There's a possibility that the Cardassians throw in with the Klingons, I seem to vaguely remember the mirror-universe alliance (been forever since I've watched DS9, I'm on a Voyager kick right now). I don't know what kind of power they were in the 23rd Century era except that they were warp-capable and carved out a small area of space of their own.

Perhaps the Vulcans in the unification movement (I think they were around at this time) try to use their influence to encourage diplomatic solutions. Like others have said, the UFP would probably go the diplomatic route to preserve the status quo.

The Ferengi try to make profit from the whole thing, supplying both sides with weapons, etc. because that's what they do. :P
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

The Federation was in a more or less permanent state of Cold War with both parties until Khitomer, so I wouldn't be surprised to see it sitting out a fight between the Romulans and Klingons. Even after Khitomer, it seems that the Romulans weren't particularly interested in making nice with anybody, hence there's still a Neutral Zone and all. It'd play the whole "we're the neutral party here guys, play nice" game while keeping its eyes open for opportunities to benefit itself.
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.