Star Trek: Discovery

PST: discuss Star Trek without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

Joun_Lord
Jedi Master

Re: Star Trek: Discorvery

Post by Joun_Lord »

It makes sense for the Kelvin to be an older ship, probably was nearing its life cycle at the time of its destruction. It doesn't make much sense for Starfleet to build over a thousand ships in the 20 years between the Kelvin going bye bye in 2233 and the Enterprise being built in 2255. The Kelvin was probably one of the first generation Federation ships built in the wake of the Earth Romulan War and the formation of the Federation in the 2160s. The USS Franklin from beyond was the NX 326 and was supposed to be a United Earth ship presumably that fought in the Earth Romulan War.

Starfleet building a thousand ships over 70 years makes a bit more sense, especially considering they'd probably have to be replacing outdated ships.
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

The Kelvin being one the first UFP ships (opposed to hand-me-downs from United Earth and other member states) could explain why it seems so disportionate for a Prime (or in this case I should say "shared") timeline ship, if the Kelvin was an early UFP ship it could have been a testbed for future design idea and it was found that ships size of the Kelvin just weren't needed but the basic idea was viable enough so Starfleet kept using the ships of that class that were already built while future designs like a prime connie were smaller.
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
Joun_Lord
Jedi Master

Post by Joun_Lord »

I do like the idea of the Kelvin being a bigass test bed.

And it makes sense for the Kelvin to be large considering it was a survey vessel, most likely a long range one. It was built in an age when the Federation was just starting and didn't have Starbases everywhere and resupply probably wasn't so easy. By the time of TOS they most likely had lots of Starbases (I remember quite often the Enterprise being near a Starbase while on a mission) and didn't need to stuff the ship full of tons of supplies even for ships like the Enterprise on a 5 year exploration mission.

The alt-Enterprise probably could handle longer range missions and indeed I think was what they were doing in the opening of Beyond. The Captain Log talked about dwindling supplies and deep space. One of the plot points was them stopping at a new Starbase.

Maybe the alt-Starfleet wasn't building Starbases at the rate the prime-Starfleet was?
Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Post by Borgholio »

Well in TOS, the Enterprise stopped at a starbase or station of some kind once every few episodes it seemed, so I don't know if we ever saw the Prime Enterprise ever stretch it's resources by going years without any chance to stopover and top off it's supplies.
You will be assimilated...bunghole!
Knife
Emperor's Hand

Post by Knife »

Joun_Lord wrote:I do like the idea of the Kelvin being a bigass test bed.

And it makes sense for the Kelvin to be large considering it was a survey vessel, most likely a long range one. It was built in an age when the Federation was just starting and didn't have Starbases everywhere and resupply probably wasn't so easy. By the time of TOS they most likely had lots of Starbases (I remember quite often the Enterprise being near a Starbase while on a mission) and didn't need to stuff the ship full of tons of supplies even for ships like the Enterprise on a 5 year exploration mission.

The alt-Enterprise probably could handle longer range missions and indeed I think was what they were doing in the opening of Beyond. The Captain Log talked about dwindling supplies and deep space. One of the plot points was them stopping at a new Starbase.

Maybe the alt-Starfleet wasn't building Starbases at the rate the prime-Starfleet was?
I too kind of like the notion of the Kelvin type vessel being one of the first Federation craft after the formation of the Federation. The integration of the 4 powers knowledge of spacecraft and warp. If they want to do prime universe or even Nu trek type stuff I'd hope they'd go for the original feels or even the JJ trek old ships feels. Doesn't have to be a Kelvin or Newton, or Antares, etc... but the feel of them would be nice.
They say, "the tree of liberty must be watered with the blood of tyrants and patriots." I suppose it never occurred to them that they are the tyrants, not the patriots. Those weapons are not being used to fight some kind of tyranny; they are bringing them to an event where people are getting together to talk. -Mike Wong

But as far as board culture in general, I do think that young male overaggression is a contributing factor to the general atmosphere of hostility. It's not SOS and the Mess throwing hand grenades all over the forum- Red
RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

First of all, as mentioned before: this is set in the Prime timeline so can we please stop talking about Beyond because 1) it's irrelevant and 2) spoilers dammit.
Lord Revan wrote:the primary hull looks fine, with some added detail it might even look nice, but the secondary hull looks like it needed a couple more design passes to make it fit the starfleet design tradition better there's nothing wrong with the basic shape there it just looks like too bukly and angular for a starfleet ship.
You know, I think this is the problem with them going back to the Phase II concept art for this design, because there is a Starfleet design tradition now. And this thing feels out of place.

Back in the 70s or whenever that sketch was made we had what, the one ship design (which is neat) and the shuttles (which, let's face it, were boxes). Had that ship or something like it been introduced back then, it might have been better accepted because, well, why not? We'll never know, of course. But the Reliant was just a saucer with some nacelles on the bottom and that's like the second Starfleet design we saw, until we get to the Excelsior and GCS and beyond which gives us a general aesthetic for ships.

Of course this could be an experiment that never quite took off so who knows? I still think it looks kind of ugly, but maybe they'll tweak it a little between now and January.
"How can I wait unknowing?
This is the price of war,
We rise with noble intentions,
And we risk all that is pure..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, Forever (Rome: Total War)

"On and on, through the years,
The war continues on..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, We Are All One (Medieval 2: Total War)
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." - Ambrose Redmoon
"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." - Harvey Dent, The Dark Knight
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

tezunegari wrote:Once there are 1080p videos with less compression available it might actually look better.
Here's a 1080p video. The Netflix AU/NZ trailer, which means it's confirmed that I'll have a way to watch ST:D legally.
Mange wrote:Well, the Discovery is clearly based on Ralph McQuarrie's concept art of the Enterprise for the cancelled Planet of the Titans. No word yet on when it'll be set?

<span class="textlinkplus">EDIT: Sorry, it'll be set in the Prime timeline according to TrekMovie: [url=<a class="textlinkplus" href="http://trekmovie.com/2016/07/23/breakin ... scovery</a>/]TrekMovie[/url]</span>
I've quoted your post without any manual changes. Any formatting fuckups are the result of what the forum does after I hit the quote button in the 'topic review' section below the post window.

Some other interesting things there, so I'll quote the article:
Star Trek Executive Producer Bryan Fuller today announced at San Diego Comic Con that the new Star Trek series set to debut in January 2017 will be called Star Trek Discovery. The series will focus on the adventures of the U.S.S. Discovery, a ship of an unknown class with the registry NCC-1031, set in the Prime Timeline.

UDPATES: During the subsequent press interviews producer Heather Kadin exclusively told Trekmovie.com that the design for the U.S.S. Discovery is not final.
When asked about the increased representation of the new series Kadin said that women and LGBTQ characters (on and off screen) will be important to Star Trek Discovery.

With all the “STD” jokes floating around, John van Citters of CBS took to Twitter to say that the new series is officially being referred to as DSC when an abbreviation is needed.

Bryan Fuller:
One of the most beautiful things of Star Trek is that you have people who see this show and they want to be scientists, they want to make it into space, we have to celebrate a progression of our species, because it seems right now we as a species need a little help. There’s nothing like the guiding light that Gene Roddenberry hung high in the sky.
Fuller stated that the new series needed to remind the audience of Star Trek’s message of hope and optimism for the future, and continue to be progressive and push boundaries. Fuller believes that we have to celebrate a progression of our species, but that we need a little help. The new series will not be episodic, but will instead tell stories like a novel chapter by chapter.

The ship design is an interesting choice, heavily influenced by Ralph McQuarrie’s concepts for an Enterprise redesign during the abandoned Phase II series/telemovies. More info on the concept designs can be found at Memory Alpha.

McQuarrie_Phase_II_Enterprise

Here is the teaser that debuted in Hall H:

NOTE: This is a simple promotional video, and the CGI quality is clearly rough, it should not be taken as an indication of how the final product will look.
I'll give them a pass on the CGI looking crap since they say they will change it

I hope they change the ship to something that fits with Starfleets design traditions.

As for trying to change our traditions in how we refer to each series because they ran into an unfortunate abbreviation, good luck with that.
RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

bilateralrope wrote:As for trying to change our traditions in how we refer to each series because they ran into an unfortunate abbreviation, good luck with that.
Not really? The abbreviations that I've always seen for each series have been a shortening of what comes after the "Star Trek" title: TNG (The Next Generation), DS9 (Deep Space 9), VOY (Voyager) and ENT(Enterprise). Even the original gets, well, TOS for The Original Series.

Seriously, "STD" is the departure here, not DSC.
"How can I wait unknowing?
This is the price of war,
We rise with noble intentions,
And we risk all that is pure..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, Forever (Rome: Total War)

"On and on, through the years,
The war continues on..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, We Are All One (Medieval 2: Total War)
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." - Ambrose Redmoon
"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." - Harvey Dent, The Dark Knight
Skylon
Jedi Council Member

Post by Skylon »

Just a note about the Discovery's registry - NCC-1031 - it is likely a homage to the Space Shuttle Discovery which was designated OV-103 by NASA.
-A.L.
"Nothing in this world can take the place of persistence...Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'press on' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race." - Calvin Coolidge

"If you're falling off a cliff you may as well try to fly, you've got nothing to lose." - John Sheridan (Babylon 5)

"Sometimes you got to roll the hard six." - William Adama (Battlestar Galactica)
SpottedKitty
Jedi Master

Post by SpottedKitty »

Skylon wrote:Just a note about the Discovery's registry - NCC-1031 - it is likely a homage to the Space Shuttle Discovery which was designated OV-103 by NASA.
Also, don't forget the original TOS starship numbers were a little bit all over the place, e.g. Commodore Decker's Constellation was NCC-1017.
“Despite rumor, Death isn't cruel — merely terribly, terribly good at his job.”
Terry Pratchett, Sourcery
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Re: Star Trek: Discovery

Post by bilateralrope »

A though I had after seeing Beyond:
Spoiler
I can't help but see how similar the Franklin and Discovery are in colour. The Franklin is a ship that has been planetside for a few decades, it's allowed to look rusty. What's the Discovery's excuse ?
Q99
Jedi Council Member

Post by Q99 »

I do see why they'd want it to stand out somewhat from other shows, give it a new look.
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

a reply to bilateralrope.
Spoiler
do we even know that SF ships are made from materials that can rust or to be more clear show visible signing of corrosion clearly enough to be visible on a ship as big as the Franklin it could just be the color palette of SF for that era
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Q99
Jedi Council Member

Post by Q99 »

Lord Revan wrote:a reply to bilateralrope.
Spoiler
do we even know that SF ships are made from materials that can rust or to be more clear show visible signing of corrosion clearly enough to be visible on a ship as big as the Franklin it could just be the color palette of SF for that era
Hm, also, aside from whether they're capable, would they? They're in space, nothing to react to.
FedRebel
Jedi Master

Post by FedRebel »

bilateralrope wrote: Now lets talk about the Starfleet vessels with cloaking devices that I can think of:
- The Defiant. A dedicated warship.
- The Holoship from Insurrection. Intended to be used for abduction.
In both cases, these ships got a cloaking device because their specific mission required one. Neither ship was meant for peaceful exploration.
Don't forget The Pegasus, a Black Budget ILLEGAL cloak test bed

The Defiant's got a bible worth of fine print attached to it's cloak, it can only be used in the Gamma Quadrant, Romulan advisor must be onboard, etc. Of course suspiciously the Romulan Advisor vanished...and Sisko & Co. used the rulebook for toliet paper

Nothing rosey at all about Starfleet cloaks, that's for sure.
Prometheus Unbound
Jedi Master

Post by Prometheus Unbound »

FedRebel wrote:and Sisko & Co. used the rulebook for toliet paper
Weeeellllll, outside of the Dominion War, only once.
NecronLord wrote:
Also, shorten your signature a couple of lines please.
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

Maybe I've just had to deal too much with STOs mindless grind (because crypic can't make a proper xp curve to save their life), but I got this nagging feeling that CBS/Paramount are gonna screw up Discovery on purpose to taint everything involving the prime-timeline to promote the Kelvin-timeline.
U.P. Cinnabar
Sith Marauder

Post by U.P. Cinnabar »

Lord Revan wrote:Maybe I've just had to deal too much with STOs mindless grind (because crypic can't make a proper xp curve to save their life), but I got this nagging feeling that CBS/Paramount are gonna screw up Discovery on purpose to taint everything involving the prime-timeline to promote the Kelvin-timeline.
Or merge it into the Kelvin timeline. This is supposed to be set after Enterprise, but before TOS, isn't it?
"Beware the Beast, Man, for he is the Devil's pawn. Alone amongst God's primates, he kills for sport, for lust, for greed. Yea, he will murder his brother to possess his brother's land. Let him not breed in great numbers, for he will make a desert of his home and yours. Shun him, drive him back into his jungle lair, for he is the harbinger of Death.."
—29th Scroll, 6th Verse of Ape Law
"Indelible in the hippocampus is the laughter. The uproarious laughter between the two, and their having fun at my expense.”
---Doctor Christine Blasey-Ford
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

U.P. Cinnabar wrote:
Lord Revan wrote:Maybe I've just had to deal too much with STOs mindless grind (because crypic can't make a proper xp curve to save their life), but I got this nagging feeling that CBS/Paramount are gonna screw up Discovery on purpose to taint everything involving the prime-timeline to promote the Kelvin-timeline.
Or merge it into the Kelvin timeline. This is supposed to be set after Enterprise, but before TOS, isn't it?
I've heard rumors of "after TNG" (which could mean during the same time as DS9 or after Nemesis depending how you interpit "after TNG")
U.P. Cinnabar
Sith Marauder

Post by U.P. Cinnabar »

Oh, okay. Either case, that doesn't stop See BS from trying to merge it into the Kelvin timeline. I know both See BS and Paramount insist that the Kelvin timeline isn't going to end up TNG's past(in so many words), but Paramount also promised no Starfleet Academy movie (starring Kirk and Co.) back in the 1990s as well.
"Beware the Beast, Man, for he is the Devil's pawn. Alone amongst God's primates, he kills for sport, for lust, for greed. Yea, he will murder his brother to possess his brother's land. Let him not breed in great numbers, for he will make a desert of his home and yours. Shun him, drive him back into his jungle lair, for he is the harbinger of Death.."
—29th Scroll, 6th Verse of Ape Law
"Indelible in the hippocampus is the laughter. The uproarious laughter between the two, and their having fun at my expense.”
---Doctor Christine Blasey-Ford
NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

Prometheus Unbound wrote:
Well the writers are on record as saying they always wanted to include a mention that the Romulans had authorized more widespread use of the cloak with less supervision.

It's word of god, but I'd say it's canon.

I'd be very very (very!) unsurprised if they'd also granted the Federation an exemption from the Treaty of Algeron for the Insurrection incident, given that everyone in the Alpha Quadrant was expected to benefit.
Superior Moderator - BotB - HAB [Drill Instructor]-Writer- Stardestroyer.net's resident Star-God.
"We believe in the systematic understanding of the physical world through observation and experimentation, argument and debate and most of all freedom of will." ~ Stargate: The Ark of Truth
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

The question comes to mind as well: if the holoship can use its holograms to disguise itself quite effectively... isn't that basically a cloaking device without the Romulan-specific device?

EDIT: With the caveat, I suppose, that observers external to the holoship might be able to detect its mass or whatever.
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

Well they actually call it 'cloaked' in the film.

Of course it's entirely possible that the Treaty of Algeron doesn't restrict the use of cloaking devices on undeveloped worlds. Unless we saw the text we can't say.
Superior Moderator - BotB - HAB [Drill Instructor]-Writer- Stardestroyer.net's resident Star-God.
"We believe in the systematic understanding of the physical world through observation and experimentation, argument and debate and most of all freedom of will." ~ Stargate: The Ark of Truth
Prometheus Unbound
Jedi Master

Post by Prometheus Unbound »

NecronLord wrote:
Prometheus Unbound wrote:
Well the writers are on record as saying they always wanted to include a mention that the Romulans had authorized more widespread use of the cloak with less supervision.

It's word of god, but I'd say it's canon.
no issues there - it'd make sense for them to authorise it in the war, especially once they became part of it.

The Romulans didn't want the Dominion to win, as such, but as Dax put it were happy to let them hurt the Federation. I'd think Starfleet would have asked the Romulans officially (it seems their thing).

I'd be very very (very!) unsurprised if they'd also granted the Federation an exemption from the Treaty of Algeron for the Insurrection incident, given that everyone in the Alpha Quadrant was expected to benefit.
It's possible it wasn't a cloak but a holographic shell on the outside as well. Actually I wonder why Federation ships don't do that more often. Power requirements maybe. Ahh I guess you could still scan it and all. All they needed to do for the Baku was keep it hidden.
NecronLord wrote:
Also, shorten your signature a couple of lines please.
SpottedKitty
Jedi Master

Post by SpottedKitty »

Elheru Aran wrote:The question comes to mind as well: if the holoship can use its holograms to disguise itself quite effectively... isn't that basically a cloaking device without the Romulan-specific device?
Come to think of it, do we have any canon info on how the Romulan tech works? Could it actually be some form of hologram setup, and the Romulans just got a lucky R&D break ahead of most other warp-capable civilizations in the Alpha Quadrant?

</toss out off-the-wall idea>
“Despite rumor, Death isn't cruel — merely terribly, terribly good at his job.”
Terry Pratchett, Sourcery