Star Trek: Discovery

PST: discuss Star Trek without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Re: Star Trek: Discovery

Post by FaxModem1 »

Simon_Jester wrote: 2018-03-07 11:13am I can acknowledge that stance, but I'm trying to think this over from a devil's advocacy position if nothing else.

To be clear, having not actually seen the episode in question, does it reduce planets to rubble, or does it simply render them uninhabitable due to the sheer size of the ensuing volcanic eruption?
The latter.
tezunegari
Jedi Knight

Post by tezunegari »

The exact working of the Hydro bomb was never explained - the reason why Discovery even had them was interrupted.
Only that its detonation will lead to a phreatic erruption (which are created by magma superheating water far above boiling point).

For all we know the bomb might scan the underground structure for subsurface water sources and detonated close to create contact.

I think it would have been better if they had gone with "They have a Yellowstone like supervulcano... place bomb here, enjoy the firework".
"Bring your thousands, I have my axe."
"Bring your cannons, I have my armor."
"Bring your mighty... I am my own champion."
Cue Unit-01 ramming half the Lance of Longinus down Adam's head and a bemused Gendo, "Wrong end, son."
Ikari Gendo, NGE Fanfiction "Standing Tall"
Imperial Overlord
Emperor's Hand

Post by Imperial Overlord »

tezunegari wrote: 2018-03-08 05:05am The exact working of the Hydro bomb was never explained - the reason why Discovery even had them was interrupted.
Only that its detonation will lead to a phreatic erruption (which are created by magma superheating water far above boiling point).

For all we know the bomb might scan the underground structure for subsurface water sources and detonated close to create contact.

I think it would have been better if they had gone with "They have a Yellowstone like supervulcano... place bomb here, enjoy the firework".
The exact working is never explained, which is better no explanation than an aweful one (I'm talking about you Voyager). It does, however, somehow cause a truly gigantic amount of water to come into contact with a very large amount of magma rapidly enough to cause a continent wrecking explosion. And I certainly wouldn't have had an issue with "place 10kg antimatter here to trigger Yellowstone's larger Klingon brother".

I'm going to stop talking about the bomb for a moment and talk about the season overall.

-It was uneven, but Trek does often have bad first seasons. TNG and DS9 had shaky first seasons, Enterprise's was outright bad, and Voyager's first season was ghastly.

-The conclusion of the Klingon war was rushed, but the Mirror Universe episodes were quite good. The Mirror Universe can be pretty campy, but they managed to convey the dystopian nastiness of the Terran Empire without becoming silly.

-I liked pretty much all the characters, even the totally under developed bridge crew. Saru seemed to start a little rocky, but settled into calm and compassionate but firm command style that I really like.

-They were pretty good with handling the effects of trauma and stress, particularly in the Mirror Universe where everyone is surrounded by monsters and can't let their guard down.

-Some of the speech making may have been clumsy, but they clearly grasp Federation values.

-There were no horrible Prime Directive episodes.

-The appearance of the Enterprise at the end was pure fan service and there's nothing wrong with that. They need to follow it up with a good story.

-I'm not sure where they plan to go with the Klingon story. It's certainly conceivable given the Discovery's connections to L'Rell and Voq that the ship might be a forefront of any diplomatic encounters. They could also run it as a B plot storyline or drop it entirely.

-I like that although we don't know Sarek's position on using the planet cracker (he could have been for it or strongly against it) he takes responsibility for the plan as he is a member of a the body that approved it.
The Excellent Prismatic Spray. For when you absolutely, positively must kill a motherfucker. Accept no substitutions. Contact a magician of the later Aeons for details. Some conditions may apply.
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

FaxModem1 wrote: 2018-03-07 10:09pm
Simon_Jester wrote: 2018-03-07 11:13am I can acknowledge that stance, but I'm trying to think this over from a devil's advocacy position if nothing else.

To be clear, having not actually seen the episode in question, does it reduce planets to rubble, or does it simply render them uninhabitable due to the sheer size of the ensuing volcanic eruption?
The latter.
In that case, it hardly seems implausible for a "this is what the prototypes of Genesis looked like, thirty years earlier" technology. Conjuring up a sea's worth of water is after all both argaubly simpler and arguably smaller scale than radically restructuring an entire planet, let alone assembling one out of a nebula 'from thin air.'

If we'd seen the hydro bomb first, and Genesis second, we might well nod our heads and say "this hella Federation terraforming technology is being taken to its logical extremes."
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
Redleader34
Jedi Knight
Location: Flowing through the Animated Ether, finding unsusual creations

Post by Redleader34 »

Dan's Art

Bounty on SDN's most annoying
"A spambot, a spambot who can't spell, a spambot who can't spell or spam properly and a spambot with tenure. Tough"choice."

tezunegari
Jedi Knight

Post by tezunegari »

Redleader34 wrote: 2018-05-06 12:37pm New Teaser Trailer is up

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tgohe_W_0Po
I only get "This video is unavailable" and it is not shown in the channels video list.
"Bring your thousands, I have my axe."
"Bring your cannons, I have my armor."
"Bring your mighty... I am my own champion."
Cue Unit-01 ramming half the Lance of Longinus down Adam's head and a bemused Gendo, "Wrong end, son."
Ikari Gendo, NGE Fanfiction "Standing Tall"
Burak Gazan
Jedi Council Member

Post by Burak Gazan »

Same thing here, on Ont
"Of course, what would really happen is that in Game 7, with the Red Sox winning 20-0 in the 9th inning, with two outs and two strikes on the last Cubs batter, a previously unseen meteor would strike the earth, instantly and forever wiping out all life on the planet, and forever denying the Red Sox a World Series victory..."
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

Same here
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

I found a copy of the teaser on Youtube.

First time I've seen a teaser that only exists to say that the next season is in production. Are they scared of people forgetting that Discovery exists ?
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

bilateralrope wrote: 2018-05-07 01:59am I found a copy of the teaser on Youtube.

First time I've seen a teaser that only exists to say that the next season is in production. Are they scared of people forgetting that Discovery exists ?
I think it's more a way of showing the new TOS style uniforms.
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
houser2112
Padawan Learner

Post by houser2112 »

Lord Revan wrote: 2018-05-07 03:12am
bilateralrope wrote: 2018-05-07 01:59am I found a copy of the teaser on Youtube.

I think it's more a way of showing the new TOS style uniforms.
I was hoping they were just blowing smoke when they said the aesthetics would come around to TOS. Oh well.