Star Trek Beyond *SPOILERS*

PST: discuss Star Trek without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Re: Star Trek Beyond *SPOILERS*

Post by Elheru Aran »

Yeah. I mean... shit happens. The Enterprise always gets beaten up in whatever incarnation it appears. Most of the time, it's in the course of executing the mission of the crew. Kirk simply gets the arse end of the stick because nu-Trek Kirk is a much more active and aggressive Captain, and explosions put butts into seats.
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

Though to be fair there should have be some form of standard board of inquiry/court martial into the loss of the E-Nil in Beyond but he should have also been acquitted for doing everything he could do in the circumstances.
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

Crazedwraith wrote:Though to be fair there should have be some form of standard board of inquiry/court martial into the loss of the E-Nil in Beyond but he should have also been acquitted for doing everything he could do in the circumstances.
I assume there was one off-screen but as said "Encountering a former starfleet officer who went MIA a century ago and has become a genocidial dictator and also has technology well past of what starfleet has avaible" isn't exactly a typical encounter even for the Enterprise in any timeline, so not being able to handle that isn't exactly a mark against Kirk.
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
Venator
Jedi Knight

Post by Venator »

Lord Revan wrote:
Crazedwraith wrote:Though to be fair there should have be some form of standard board of inquiry/court martial into the loss of the E-Nil in Beyond but he should have also been acquitted for doing everything he could do in the circumstances.
I assume there was one off-screen but as said "Encountering a former starfleet officer who went MIA a century ago and has become a genocidial dictator and also has technology well past of what starfleet has avaible" isn't exactly a typical encounter even for the Enterprise in any timeline, so not being able to handle that isn't exactly a mark against Kirk.
The only person who deserves a court martial over that is whoever decided that timed or proximity fuses (a la WWII?) were out of budget for photon torpedoes.
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

Venator wrote:
Lord Revan wrote:
The only person who deserves a court martial over that is whoever decided that timed or proximity fuses (a la WWII?) were out of budget for photon torpedoes.
if you meant "get reprimanded" by "court martial", since for the crew a court martial might end up with commendation for exellent performance against a clearly superior foe, a signifigant portion of crew of the Enterprise (NCC-1701) survived even though the opposition was clearly superior.

People tend to forget that military officers don't get reprimanded (at least in militaries run by sane people) for loosing to clearly superior foe, because loosing to clear superior foe is expected and in those cases the commanders performance is determined by asset/resource preservation (aka was the CO able to preserve the militry asset put to his use to a realistic degree)
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
Feil
Jedi Council Member

Post by Feil »

Photon torpedoes are probably just shaped charges that need to hit the target front-on to do anything, anyway.
Skylon
Jedi Council Member

Post by Skylon »

Lord Revan wrote: if you meant "get reprimanded" by "court martial", since for the crew a court martial might end up with commendation for exellent performance against a clearly superior foe, a signifigant portion of crew of the Enterprise (NCC-1701) survived even though the opposition was clearly superior.
This honestly may have been one of the least contrived goes at trashing the Enterprise. At least compared to say, the Enterprise-D in "Generations." The crew did EVERYTHING right, they were just countered at every turn. The writers of this film just correctly seemed to check off the boxes as to how an enemy would in all likelihood be able to kill the old girl.
-A.L.
"Nothing in this world can take the place of persistence...Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'press on' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race." - Calvin Coolidge

"If you're falling off a cliff you may as well try to fly, you've got nothing to lose." - John Sheridan (Babylon 5)

"Sometimes you got to roll the hard six." - William Adama (Battlestar Galactica)
amigocabal
Jedi Knight

Post by amigocabal »

It would be a board of inquiry in this instance.