George Kirk to return to kelvinverse in film 4

PST: discuss Star Trek without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

MKSheppard
Ruthless Genocidal Warmonger

George Kirk to return to kelvinverse in film 4

Post by MKSheppard »

Breaking on Facebook...
"If scientists and inventors who develop disease cures and useful technologies don't get lifetime royalties, I'd like to know what fucking rationale you have for some guy getting lifetime royalties for writing an episode of Full House." - Mike Wong

"The present air situation in the Pacific is entirely the result of fighting a fifth rate air power." - U.S. Navy Memo - 24 July 1944
MKSheppard

Re: George Kirk to return to kelvinverse in film 4

Post by MKSheppard »

http://variety.com/2016/film/news/param ... 201816258/

Paramount Pictures, Skydance and Bad Robot have announced a fourth film in the rebooted “Star Trek” series, starring Chris Pine and Chris Hemsworth.

The studio made the announcement Monday, four days before it launches “Star Trek Beyond,” disclosing that Pine’s Captain Kirk will cross paths with his father, described as “a man he never had a chance to meet, but whose legacy has haunted him since the day he was born.”

Hemsworth, who appeared in 2009’s “Star Trek,” will return to the space saga in the father role as George Kirk. The remaining cast — which includes Zachary Quinto, Zoe Saldana, Karl Urban, John Cho and Simon Pegg — is expected to return.

The late Anton Yelchin, who died June 19, had played the Chekov character in the three reboots.

J.D. Payne and Patrick McKay will write the screenplay. J.J. Abrams and Lindsey Weber will produce through Bad Robot Productions. David Ellison and Dana Goldberg of Skydance will executive produce.

The announcement did not indicate who will direct. Justin Lin directed “Star Trek Beyond” from a script by Doug Jung and Simon Pegg.

“Star Trek” grossed $380 million worldwide in 2009 and “Star Trek: Into Darkness” earned $460 million worldwide. “Star Trek Beyond” — the 13th film in the series dating back to 1979’s “Star Trek: The Motion Picture” — will make its premiere at Comic-Con on Wednesday in San Diego.

Hemsworth is currently starring in “Ghostbusters” alongside Melissa McCarthy, Kristin Wiig and Kate McKinnon, and filming “Thor: Ragnorak” and “Avengers: Infinity War – Part 1” back to back. He is repped by CAA and ROAR.
"If scientists and inventors who develop disease cures and useful technologies don't get lifetime royalties, I'd like to know what fucking rationale you have for some guy getting lifetime royalties for writing an episode of Full House." - Mike Wong

"The present air situation in the Pacific is entirely the result of fighting a fifth rate air power." - U.S. Navy Memo - 24 July 1944
MKSheppard

Post by MKSheppard »

The only way this can work is if it's a parallel universe crossover with Trek Prime -- because Prime Spock said in Reboot #1 that George Kirk lived long enough to see his son become captain of the enterprise.

So...

Hemsworth in the classic TOS uniform?

SpottedKitty
Jedi Master

Post by SpottedKitty »

Hmm, I wonder... would it be safe to assume the JJ-verse has a Guardian of Forever? (Or would the events that created the JJ-verse imply that there isn't one?)
“Despite rumor, Death isn't cruel — merely terribly, terribly good at his job.”
Terry Pratchett, Sourcery
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

Yeah, I'd expect time travel within Kelvinverse as opposed to alternate universes/going back to prime.
Prometheus Unbound
Jedi Master

Post by Prometheus Unbound »

MKSheppard wrote:The only way this can work is if it's a parallel universe crossover with Trek Prime -- because Prime Spock said in Reboot #1 that George Kirk lived long enough to see his son become captain of the enterprise.

So...

Hemsworth in the classic TOS uniform?
eh could be a hologram or telepathic vision or something. Or another alternate universe - doesn't have to be Trek Prime.
NecronLord wrote:
Also, shorten your signature a couple of lines please.
Joun_Lord
Jedi Master

Post by Joun_Lord »

Hologram or telepathic vision would be a massive cop-out and probably not what they are going to want to do especially if the Kirk daddy bit is a major part of 4 (which considering its the first thing they announced there is a reasonable chance).

Another alternate universe would probably be confusing to casual fans. I'm sure there are already people confused to the fact that the Kelvin Trek's aren't Prequels to TOS and adding a 3rd universe would just further confused people.

No I think the most likely thing is time travel, probably rescuing Thor right when the Kelvin went kablooey.

Going back to Prime is possible if for nothing else then to throw a bone to older fans though I don't think they could do anything without violating that universe's own canon though according to Memory Alpha much of Prime George's life is a mystery so could work with it.
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

I hope they don't go back to the Prime universe. That would be pointless.

I wager it's like Generations; Kirk and Son get to have a grand adventure together before Kirk Sr goes back to his time to die as he should.
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

Or you know, just a dream or flashback. Being signed on to the film doesn't mean he's a living part of the universe.
Superior Moderator - BotB - HAB [Drill Instructor]-Writer- Stardestroyer.net's resident Star-God.
"We believe in the systematic understanding of the physical world through observation and experimentation, argument and debate and most of all freedom of will." ~ Stargate: The Ark of Truth
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

They could just got the BvS route and have him appear on top of a mountain with no explanation....
Prometheus Unbound
Jedi Master

Crazedwraith wrote:They could just got the BvS route and have him appear on top of a mountain with no explanation....
Just do a Worf in Insurrection - just be there and have no one say anything.
NecronLord wrote:
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

Prometheus Unbound wrote:
Crazedwraith wrote:They could just got the BvS route and have him appear on top of a mountain with no explanation....
Just do a Worf in Insurrection - just be there and have no one say anything.
In Insurrection's defense Wolf hadn't been dead for 20-30 years when he showed up, just stationed elsewhere.
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

Gandalf wrote:I hope they don't go back to the Prime universe. That would be pointless.

I wager it's like Generations; Kirk and Son get to have a grand adventure together before Kirk Sr goes back to his time to die as he should.
That would be interesting, though in hindsight it would significantly change the tone and meaning of George's death if he a) knew that his death was fated, and b) knew what kind of man his son would become as a result of his sacrifice.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

I SUPPORT A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE TO REMOVE TRUMP FROM OFFICE.
MKSheppard

Post by MKSheppard »

I had forgotten about the Guardian of Forever as THE classic TOS Time Travel Story.

They've tried to rip off (badly) the classic TOS space combat story with Into Shittiness and Khan.

So Ripping off City on the Edge of Forever sounds....like the thing they'd do.

Only problem is....Harlan Ellison is still alive.

But if they do rip off City on the Edge of Forever; instead of Edith Keeler dying it'll be THOR.

Skylon
Jedi Council Member

Post by Skylon »

I'm with Sheppard on this one. Ripping "City on the Edge of Forever" sounds like an idea that makes sense, but you do not fuck with Harlan Ellison. There is a reason its only appearance post-City was in TAS. Harlan will lose his shit demanding a cut if it is used for a multi-million dollar movie.
-A.L.
"Nothing in this world can take the place of persistence...Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'press on' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race." - Calvin Coolidge

"If you're falling off a cliff you may as well try to fly, you've got nothing to lose." - John Sheridan (Babylon 5)

"Sometimes you got to roll the hard six." - William Adama (Battlestar Galactica)
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

Skylon wrote:I'm with Sheppard on this one. Ripping "City on the Edge of Forever" sounds like an idea that makes sense, but you do not fuck with Harlan Ellison. There is a reason its only appearance post-City was in TAS. Harlan will lose his shit demanding a cut if it is used for a multi-million dollar movie.
Is there any reason they couldn't just use a similarly contrived time-travel plot? "People go back to the past, change details, have to change them back to save the future" is hardly original.
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
GrandMasterTerwynn
Emperor's Hand

Post by GrandMasterTerwynn »

Elheru Aran wrote:
Skylon wrote:I'm with Sheppard on this one. Ripping "City on the Edge of Forever" sounds like an idea that makes sense, but you do not fuck with Harlan Ellison. There is a reason its only appearance post-City was in TAS. Harlan will lose his shit demanding a cut if it is used for a multi-million dollar movie.
Is there any reason they couldn't just use a similarly contrived time-travel plot? "People go back to the past, change details, have to change them back to save the future" is hardly original.
Well, Into Darkness was mostly stolen from The Wrath of Kahn, and Beyond had echoes of The Search for Spock ... therefore, the next film is very likely to be a time travel story ... you know, like The Voyage Home. Only it'll be Kirk's daddy they'll be saving instead of whales.
Prometheus Unbound
Jedi Master

Echos of TSFS?
NecronLord wrote:
J Ryan
Youngling

Post by J Ryan »

Prometheus Unbound wrote:Echos of TSFS?
Well in both the Enterprise was destroyed and they were stranded on an alien planet for a bit.
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

J Ryan wrote:
Prometheus Unbound wrote:Echos of TSFS?
Well in both the Enterprise was destroyed and they were stranded on an alien planet for a bit.
Plus, Spock is dead. Except he's not.

(damn that movie had some serious feels here and there. Poor Anton.)
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
Prometheus Unbound
Jedi Master

eh, I guess. If it was intentional, it slipped past me. And if so they did a better job on taking elements from a previous film than ITD did with ST2.
NecronLord wrote:
J Ryan
Youngling

Post by J Ryan »

Well in very broad strokes we've had:

Star Trek - Giant Ship Attacks Earth (ST:TMP)
Star Trek Into Darkness - The Wrath of Kahn (ST:TWoK)
Star Trek Beyond - Destroy the Enterprise (ST:tSfS)

and from the rumours we've got the 4th one involving time travel, though we have to take that with a pinch of salt until closer.

If the trend continues I'm fully expecting Chris Pine/Kirk to be punching out God in the 5th film.