A theory on why the Vulcans we all see are curiously alike

PST: discuss Star Trek without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Re: A theory on why the Vulcans we all see are curiously alike

Post by Simon_Jester »

Could you expand on that?

I mean, going by how they look in Nemesis, they sure don't look like they're descended from or related to Vulcans. And I'm pretty sure Nemesis would supersede a non-canonical TOS novel.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
Alyrium Denryle
Minister of Sin

Re: A theory on why the Vulcans we all see are curiously alike

Post by Alyrium Denryle »

Simon_Jester wrote:Could you expand on that?

I mean, going by how they look in Nemesis, they sure don't look like they're descended from or related to Vulcans. And I'm pretty sure Nemesis would supersede a non-canonical TOS novel.
It would supersede if it contradicted but i went back and checked.

Basically, during the time of Surak, a group of...basically Vulcan refugees left Vulcan on STL or primitive slow FTL ships (dont remember which). Some of them, a Surak-following faction decided to settle on Remus to help get the resources required to rebuild technological civilization. It was harsh, but they made it work.

Then they were betrayed by a douchebag who destroyed their ship and communications equipment and said "Work in the mines for subsistence, bitches" (needless to say people like this were of a decided Romulan philosophical persuasion). So the Vulcans on Remus were basically enslaved, with criminals and other undesirables dropped off as a form of punishment.

In order to better survive there, they ended up genetically modifying their species.

A couple revolts, planetary siege, and cultural stockholm syndrome later, and you get the Remans.
GALE Force Biological Agent/
BOTM/Great Dolphin Conspiracy/
Entomology and Evolutionary Biology Subdirector:SD.net Dept. of Biological Sciences

There is Grandeur in the View of Life; it fills me with a Deep Wonder, and Intense Cynicism.

Factio republicanum delenda est