Varon-T Disruptor

PST: discuss Star Trek without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Re: Varon-T Disruptor

Post by bilateralrope »

Prometheus Unbound wrote: why introduce something or test something that does the same thing just more slowly, to the point the victim/target can flail around in pain?
That is a good question. If you want a weapon that tortures someone, the Varon-T seem too quick. If you just want someone dead, regular phasers work.

Clearly the slow disintegration is a side effect of some other change. Maybe an attempt to use less power per shot.
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

Actually the disintegration doesn't seem to be noticeably slower than a phaser's. Just allegedly more painful.
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
Prometheus Unbound
Jedi Master

Post by Prometheus Unbound »

Batman wrote:Actually the disintegration doesn't seem to be noticeably slower than a phaser's. Just allegedly more painful.
It's like 2-3 times as long to kill someone.

https://youtu.be/WIomRwtVXpY?t=19s

1-2 second via phaser , 6-7-8 seconds via Varon T

And it's literally stated that's it's quite slow compared to phasers.
NecronLord wrote:
Also, shorten your signature a couple of lines please.
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

I never said that the attempt was successful. The low number of them in circulation suggests a design that nobody is making any more. The few in existence might just be prototypes.
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

Prometheus Unbound wrote:
Batman wrote:Actually the disintegration doesn't seem to be noticeably slower than a phaser's. Just allegedly more painful.
It's like 2-3 times as long to kill someone.
https://youtu.be/WIomRwtVXpY?t=19s
1-2 second via phaser , 6-7-8 seconds via Varon T
And it's literally stated that's it's quite slow compared to phasers.
A pity that wasn't a phaser.
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
Batman
Emperor's Hand

Post by Batman »

Nevermind.
Prometheus Unbound
Jedi Master

They lent them to the Jem'Hadar for that episode - one with the Iconian Gate.

Here's a selection:

https://youtu.be/EvI_FYarYIY?t=54s

All of 'em pretty fast. And no screaming (I think Tyrel in ST2 is the only scream we see from a phaser really) or flailing about.

The only one there that seems to take more than 1 second is a Klingon one - and I'm sure they don't give a shit.
NecronLord wrote:
EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

Post by EnterpriseSovereign »

Prometheus Unbound wrote:They lent them to the Jem'Hadar for that episode - one with the Iconian Gate.

Here's a selection:

All of 'em pretty fast. And no screaming (I think Tyrel in ST2 is the only scream we see from a phaser really) or flailing about.

The only one there that seems to take more than 1 second is a Klingon one - and I'm sure they don't give a shit.
In IAMD, Admiral Black was killed by a TOS-era phaser and he screamed in the fraction of a second it took to fully disintegrate him.
Prometheus Unbound
Jedi Master

EnterpriseSovereign wrote:
Prometheus Unbound wrote:They lent them to the Jem'Hadar for that episode - one with the Iconian Gate.

Here's a selection:

In IAMD, Admiral Black was killed by a TOS-era phaser and he screamed in the fraction of a second it took to fully disintegrate him.
Would not surprise me in the least if they're designed to hurt as well, considering the Agony Booth and all ><]

Honestly after everything said in the thread, I don't see it any more than what we're told and what we can infer from it - that it's a weapon, designed to cause pain and vapourise* in a way that maximises time it takes. Or something along that lines.

It was therefore banned by the Federation.

Only 5 were known to exist (niche weapon), Fajo had 4, which were taken by the Federation. So I guess there's one still out there but hey ho.
NecronLord wrote: