Star Trek: Bridge Crew (Star Trek virtual reality game).

PST: discuss Star Trek without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Star Trek: Bridge Crew (Star Trek virtual reality game).

Post by The Romulan Republic »

http://www.startrek.com/article/youre-i ... ridge-crew
Today at E3 in Los Angeles, Ubisoft announced a fall release for Star Trek: Bridge Crew, a new virtual reality game that will allow players to explore space as a member of the Federation. Supporting the announcement: a cool video featuring LeVar Burton, Jeri Ryan and Karl Urban trying out the game. Playable co-operatively with a crew or solo as Captain, Star Trek: Bridge Crew puts players directly onto the bridge in a Starfleet ship. The game will be available on PlayStation VR, Oculus Rift and HTC Vive.

Bridge Crew puts a player and their friends in the heart of a brand-new starship, the U.S.S. Aegis, where every action and decision made will determine the fate of the ship and her crew. The overriding mission is as follows: Explore a largely uncharted sector of space known as The Trench, in hopes of locating a suitable new home world for the decimated Vulcan populace -- while coming into direct conflict with the vaunted Klingon Empire.

As developed by Red Storm Entertainment, a Ubisoft Studio, Bridge Crew is designed exclusively for VR. It capitalizes on the powerful sense of social presence only possible through virtual reality. Through hand tracking and full-body avatars, including real-time lip-sync, players can experience what it’s like to serve as an officer on the bridge of a Federation starship.
As a crew, players will form a team of four to operate the roles of Captain, Helm, Tactical or Engineer. Each role is crucial to the success of the varied missions players face, and only by working together can the crew complete their objectives. Also playable in solo, players will assume the role of Captain and dispatch orders to their NPC crew mates. The Captain’s strategic decisions will be vital in order to successfully complete missions. In other words, it's your ship and you're in command.
Interesting.

Apparently its in the new timeline, since the plot is around finding a new homeward for the Vulcans. Graphics seem a little weak, though I don't really know what the standard is for graphics quality in VR.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

I SUPPORT A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE TO REMOVE TRUMP FROM OFFICE.
PREDATOR490
Jedi Council Member

Re: Star Trek: Bridge Crew (Star Trek virtual reality game).

Post by PREDATOR490 »

This has been tried before with Star Trek Bridge Commander trying to pioneer voice command / activation as a gimmick. I fully expect it to suck just as badly because commanding a Starship from the Bridge is only fun in concept. In practice it is having the player rooted to a spot and clicking buttons. The social aspect is certainly a nice addition but all the gushing bullshit just strikes me as form over substance.
Either the gameplay is going to be extremely casual to the point it is more of a social / fun type look around role play thing or this game ends up with players staring at VR bridge consoles clicking all the buttons.

It might be more interesting if they tried to expand the situation to include away teams, wandering around locations fighting in FPS as well as the strategic ship to ship action but I do not see many game developers going for that kind of gameplay.
Grumman
Jedi Council Member

Re: Star Trek: Bridge Crew (Star Trek virtual reality game).

Post by Grumman »

Back in the old days you had command simulator games like 668 Attack Sub and I'm sure you could make a modern Star Trek game that fills that same niche. If the graphics quality seems lacking, I'd put it down to the importance of framerate and a smooth-running game - slightly cartoony graphics might not look as good in screenshots, but it won't literally make you throw up.