Bryan Fuller to start new ST series in 2017

PST: discuss Star Trek without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

Enigma
is a laughing fool.

Bryan Fuller to start new ST series in 2017

Post by Enigma »

ASVS('97)/SDN('03)

"Whilst human alchemists refer to the combustion triangle, some of their orcish counterparts see it as more of a hexagon: heat, fuel, air, laughter, screaming, fun." Dawn of the Dragons

ASSCRAVATS!
SpottedKitty
Jedi Master

Re: Bryan Fuller to start new ST series in 2017

Post by SpottedKitty »

Hmm. I'll wait to hear more details before deciding whether or not to <squee>. Not so enthused to find out the writer "thinks there's something very exciting about the new JJ-verse"...
“Despite rumor, Death isn't cruel — merely terribly, terribly good at his job.”
Terry Pratchett, Sourcery
biostem
Jedi Master

Post by biostem »

I doubt they're gonna get the actual cast from the "nuTrek" films for this, and if it's going to be set in that same universe, then perhaps they are going to do something akin to a "nuTrek: The Next generation", where it takes place in the future of nuTrek's timeline...
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

Or another ship or something like that in Kirk's time, so they can have the occasionally cameo by one of the Enterprise crew.
biostem
Jedi Master

Post by biostem »

The Romulan Republic wrote:Or another ship or something like that in Kirk's time, so they can have the occasionally cameo by one of the Enterprise crew.
I suppose that could work. They kind of tried a bit of that with the Columbia in Enterprise, IIRC.
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

SpottedKitty wrote: Not so enthused to find out the writer "thinks there's something very exciting about the new JJ-verse"...
Wouldn't a lot of writers be excited over nu-trek because it doesn't have much existing canon to get in the way of the stories they want to tell ?
biostem
Jedi Master

Post by biostem »

bilateralrope wrote:
SpottedKitty wrote: Not so enthused to find out the writer "thinks there's something very exciting about the new JJ-verse"...
Wouldn't a lot of writers be excited over nu-trek because it doesn't have much existing canon to get in the way of the stories they want to tell ?
My real only concern is that I'm just tired of them constantly bringing in new species of aliens when the story's taking place in a region of the galaxy that was already been well-covered in previous iterations.
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

biostem wrote:
bilateralrope wrote:
My real only concern is that I'm just tired of them constantly bringing in new species of aliens when the story's taking place in a region of the galaxy that was already been well-covered in previous iterations.
Is any region of the galaxy well-covered in nu-trek ?
biostem
Jedi Master

Post by biostem »

bilateralrope wrote:
biostem wrote:
bilateralrope wrote: Wouldn't a lot of writers be excited over nu-trek because it doesn't have much existing canon to get in the way of the stories they want to tell ?
Wait, other than Spock Prime going back in time and messing with the flow of events, are we going to assume that entire planets/empires are now different, (save for Vulcan having been destroyed)? I don't see why we'd go that far...
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

biostem wrote:
bilateralrope wrote:
biostem wrote:
Wait, other than Spock Prime going back in time and messing with the flow of events, are we going to assume that entire planets/empires are now different, (save for Vulcan having been destroyed)? I don't see why we'd go that far...
Because if the first nu-trek movie was the earliest point of divergence, I'd expect the technology at the start of the movie to look much closer to old-trek than it did. Clearly the earliest point of divergence happened well before then. Which is easy to explain with time travel. Time travel that happened in old trek won't happen in nu-trek, time travel that didn't happen in old trek might happen in nu-trek.
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

JJ Trek is a reboot with a technobabble fig leaf, there's no way it's going to keep continuity with old series.

Sceptical about the series but Fullers done some good stuff. So we'll see.
Enigma
is a laughing fool.

Post by Enigma »

bilateralrope wrote:
biostem wrote:
bilateralrope wrote: Is any region of the galaxy well-covered in nu-trek ?
Because if the first nu-trek movie was the earliest point of divergence, I'd expect the technology at the start of the movie to look much closer to old-trek than it did. Clearly the earliest point of divergence happened well before then. Which is easy to explain with time travel. Time travel that happened in old trek won't happen in nu-trek, time travel that didn't happen in old trek might happen in nu-trek.
The timeline did diverge before time travel. Notice the Kelvin using phasers as a point defense weapon, something not used in old Trek.
ASVS('97)/SDN('03)

"Whilst human alchemists refer to the combustion triangle, some of their orcish counterparts see it as more of a hexagon: heat, fuel, air, laughter, screaming, fun." Dawn of the Dragons

ASSCRAVATS!
Joun_Lord
Jedi Master

Post by Joun_Lord »

Enigma wrote:The timeline did diverge before time travel. Notice the Kelvin using phasers as a point defense weapon, something not used in old Trek.
I assumed that the PDW phasers and embiggened ships are not the result of divergence but just improved technology out of universe allowing them to show stuff that would make sense in universe like point defense weapons and larger vessels. The TOS ships displayed very few weapons from what I recall and were positively tiny especially for a ship that could be expect to carry multiple shuttles. And having large number of shuttles makes sense just for what we see in ST 09, use to escape a ship that doesn't involve very limited and very exposed escape pods. Plus long range explorers would want a large number of shuttles especially if they are going to be without resupply for awhile, so you don't wind up with the Voyager situation of an endless supply of shuttles that probably add up to greater then the volume of the ship that supposed to be carrying them despite the fact the nearest resupply for that ship is on the other side of the galaxy.

Anyway, just because something looks a bit different doesn't automatically mean that there has already been a divergence. Anymore then you'd take Kirk's dad being Thor or Spock's mom being Winona Ryder, which clearly wouldn't have been the case in the original timeline.
Captain Seafort
Jedi Council Member

Post by Captain Seafort »

Enigma wrote:Notice the Kelvin using phasers as a point defense weapon, something not used in old Trek.
Balance of Terror - the E-nil used her phasers to detonate the Romulans' plasma bolts.
Prometheus Unbound
Jedi Master

Post by Prometheus Unbound »

Captain Seafort wrote:
Enigma wrote:Notice the Kelvin using phasers as a point defense weapon, something not used in old Trek.
Balance of Terror - the E-nil used her phasers to detonate the Romulans' plasma bolts.
No they didn't.

They nearly outran one bolt and outran another as it dissipated by itself.

They used phaser bolts / charges as "depth charges" when the romulans were cloaked.
NecronLord wrote:
Also, shorten your signature a couple of lines please.
Captain Seafort
Jedi Council Member

Post by Captain Seafort »

Prometheus Unbound wrote:
Captain Seafort wrote:Balance of Terror - the E-nil used her phasers to detonate the Romulans' plasma bolts.
No they didn't.

They nearly outran one bolt and outran another as it dissipated by itself.

They used phaser bolts / charges as "depth charges" when the romulans were cloaked.
Reviewing the transcript, you're correct, although only one attack was made on the E-nil, which hit at extreme range. They did, however, intend to use the phasers in the manner I described, and were prevented from doing do because they were off-line with a circuit burnout at the time. They did use phasers to detonate the nuke the Romulans dumped in with one of their releases of decoy wreckage.
Mange
Sith Marauder

Post by Mange »

There's already a thread on this: Here
Prometheus Unbound
Jedi Master

Post by Prometheus Unbound »

Captain Seafort wrote: Reviewing the transcript, you're correct,
I just happened to have watched it randomly on TV the day before :D
NecronLord wrote:
Also, shorten your signature a couple of lines please.
amigocabal
Jedi Knight

Post by amigocabal »

Enigma wrote:
bilateralrope wrote:
biostem wrote:
The timeline did diverge before time travel. Notice the Kelvin using phasers as a point defense weapon, something not used in old Trek.
I wonder if it had something to do with the fact that Prime timeline Kirk was a notorious violator of the temporal prime directive. I mean, nu-Trek Kirk's analogous adventures in time (e.g.,City on the Edge of Forever) will either happen differently or not at all.
DaveJB
Jedi Council Member

Post by DaveJB »

Well, this is unexpected! Apparently, none other than Nicholas Meyer is joining the new series in a consulting role. Link
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

DaveJB wrote:Well, this is unexpected! Apparently, none other than Nicholas Meyer is joining the new series in a consulting role. Link
Well, that'll be welcome news to many, though I have my doubts. It smacks of revisiting the past in an effort to pander to the "They changed it so its bad" fanboy crowd.

Still, at least the guy has shown he can make good Star Trek, even if it was a long time ago.
RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

In the U.S., a special premiere episode will air on the CBS Television Network and all subsequent first-run episodes will be available exclusively on CBS All Access. The series will also be available on television stations and platforms in other countries around the world.
So in the US, we have to pay extra special for CBS's on demand service. The rest of the world (might) get it on TV and/or their localization of Netflix or whatever.

1) Dick move, CBS.
2) Wherever it ends up on TV (especially hilarious if it's the BBC and thus, natively English) expect it to be pirated in droves by US Trekkies who don't feel like shelling out extra money for CBS All Access.
"How can I wait unknowing?
This is the price of war,
We rise with noble intentions,
And we risk all that is pure..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, Forever (Rome: Total War)

"On and on, through the years,
The war continues on..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, We Are All One (Medieval 2: Total War)
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." - Ambrose Redmoon
"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." - Harvey Dent, The Dark Knight
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

RogueIce wrote:
In the U.S., a special premiere episode will air on the CBS Television Network and all subsequent first-run episodes will be available exclusively on CBS All Access. The series will also be available on television stations and platforms in other countries around the world.
So in the US, we have to pay extra special for CBS's on demand service. The rest of the world (might) get it on TV and/or their localization of Netflix or whatever.

1) Dick move, CBS.
2) Wherever it ends up on TV (especially hilarious if it's the BBC and thus, natively English) expect it to be pirated in droves by US Trekkies who don't feel like shelling out extra money for CBS All Access.
Hah! Today I am grateful that I am living in Canada. :D
RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

The Romulan Republic wrote:
RogueIce wrote:

1) Dick move, CBS.
Hah! Today I am grateful that I am living in Canada. :D
3) The rest of the world will be incredibly smug about this.
(I forgot to port that over from my comment about this on SB)
"How can I wait unknowing?
This is the price of war,
We rise with noble intentions,
And we risk all that is pure..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, Forever (Rome: Total War)

"On and on, through the years,
The war continues on..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, We Are All One (Medieval 2: Total War)
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." - Ambrose Redmoon
"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." - Harvey Dent, The Dark Knight
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

RogueIce wrote:2) Wherever it ends up on TV (especially hilarious if it's the BBC and thus, natively English) expect it to be pirated in droves by US Trekkies who don't feel like shelling out extra money for CBS All Access.
Expect it to be pirated the moment it shows up anywhere. If CBS All Access is the first place it shows up* then someone who is paying for CBS All Access will upload it to a torrent site.

*A leaked copy might show up sooner.