Star Trek: Beyond trailer

PST: discuss Star Trek without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Re: Star Trek: Beyond trailer

Post by Lord Revan »

the Abrams films so effort even if misguided to make a good Trek film, the later prime verse films as well as ENT and VOY for the most part showed no effort to make anything else the "by the numbers" Trek work and even when they tried did "try" something else it came out as forced and unanatural for the most part.

It's quite telling that best VOY and ENT episodes are generally ones that showed effort to work with the premise
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

The piece of the sound track they chose for this preview is... very very unsuitable for Star Trek. This may be part of what's making people looking at it think they're about to smack into Star Trek: The Fast and the Furious or some stupid thing like that.
Adam Reynolds wrote:The line "This is where the frontier pushes back*" is in many ways a betrayal of the ideals of Star Trek. Though on the upside we actually get to see the idea of the Enterprise doing what it was supposed to. Something we haven't seen at all in the last two movies.
Adam, the frontier always pushes back.

Remember the first episode of TOS? Kirk loses one of his best friends because the Enterprise pushed all the way to the edge of the galaxy.

Remember Q Who? "If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross. But it's not for the timid." There's a reason for that.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

I think that may be my second favourite Trek line. First place goes to one of Garak's:

"Treason, like beauty, is in the eye of the beholder."
Grumman
Jedi Council Member

Post by Grumman »

Simon_Jester wrote:The piece of the sound track they chose for this preview is... very very unsuitable for Star Trek. This may be part of what's making people looking at it think they're about to smack into Star Trek: The Fast and the Furious or some stupid thing like that.
Watching it muted with Beethoven playing doesn't help. The Force Awakens trailer flows a lot better, with the first half of the trailer following a clear structure as it introduces each of the three main actors. This one has its moments, but the best bits of it are the ones where it bothers to focus on one scene for more than a second.
Adam Reynolds
Jedi Council Member

Post by Adam Reynolds »

Simon_Jester wrote:Adam, the frontier always pushes back.

Remember Q Who? "If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross. But it's not for the timid." There's a reason for that.
This is true, and I love the line from Q, it is probably the best single line from all of Star Trek. The one that summarizes the philosophy of true Star Trek the best. And the reason that DS9 and Voyager largely killed Trek. They stopped seeing truly new things. But the thing that makes that line so fantastic is the second half combined with the first half. This trailer's version is missing that half. Where are the treasures? We haven't seen any with the remake films.

Recently, The Martian is a far better version of this idea than recent Star Trek. While there was an extreme degree of danger, there was also a sense of getting to overcome it through intelligence and cooperation* rather than with bigger explosions(exempting those in rockets of course).
* Notice that it was the Chinese that saved Mark Watney and the Hermes crew in the end.

The fact that the director of the Fast and Furious movies is making a film about heroes that are supposed to solve their problems at least partially through intelligence is also bad. We already saw his attempt at this with the TV series Scorpion, which was terrible. It featured a car chasing an airplane down a runway to extract data from it with an ethernet cable. Which made even less sense in context.
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Grumman wrote:
Simon_Jester wrote:The piece of the sound track they chose for this preview is... very very unsuitable for Star Trek. This may be part of what's making people looking at it think they're about to smack into Star Trek: The Fast and the Furious or some stupid thing like that.
Watching it muted with Beethoven playing doesn't help. The Force Awakens trailer flows a lot better, with the first half of the trailer following a clear structure as it introduces each of the three main actors. This one has its moments, but the best bits of it are the ones where it bothers to focus on one scene for more than a second.
I'm not saying the trailer is good, I'm saying the music is bad. ;)

And yeah, too much shaky jittering between scenes.
Adam Reynolds wrote:
Simon_Jester wrote:Adam, the frontier always pushes back.

This is true, and I love the line from Q, it is probably the best single line from all of Star Trek. The one that summarizes the philosophy of true Star Trek the best. And the reason that DS9 and Voyager largely killed Trek. They stopped seeing truly new things. But the thing that makes that line so fantastic is the second half combined with the first half. This trailer's version is missing that half. Where are the treasures? We haven't seen any with the remake films.
Hm. You really think so? I haven't watched much Voyager; it's kind of... embarrassing if they managed to take an opportunity like "voyage through totally unexplored space tens of thousands of light years from Federation space" and turn it into "they stopped seeing truly new things."
The fact that the director of the Fast and Furious movies is making a film about heroes that are supposed to solve their problems at least partially through intelligence is also bad. We already saw his attempt at this with the TV series Scorpion, which was terrible. It featured a car chasing an airplane down a runway to extract data from it with an ethernet cable. Which made even less sense in context.
Well, we can hope the guy has some more hidden depths, but none of the actual evidence to date is promising.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

Yeah, if you're doing Trek you have your work cut out trying to do worse than ENT. But I agree this trailer was pretty incoherent and the soundtrack choice was suboptimal. Still, first trailer, doesn't necessarily say much about the finished movie.
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
Adam Reynolds
Jedi Council Member

Post by Adam Reynolds »

Simon_Jester wrote:Hm. You really think so? I haven't watched much Voyager; it's kind of... embarrassing if they managed to take an opportunity like "voyage through totally unexplored space tens of thousands of light years from Federation space" and turn it into "they stopped seeing truly new things."
Sadly not as much as one would have thought. There were a few new things, like Species 8472, but overall there wasn't as much new material as one would have thought. Though there were far worse problems with Voyager than this.

It was actually a bigger problem with DS9, the only reason that it didn't destroy the series was because its focus was as more of a political drama, which was sufficiently interesting to make up for this change. The problem became worse when the same focus was kept when they went into Voyager, which should have went into territory completely uncharted and for the most part didn't.
Well, we can hope the guy has some more hidden depths, but none of the actual evidence to date is promising.
Indeed not. Especially given that it has the same screenwriters as the last movie as well.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

Bull shit.

Writers of Into Darkness:

Roberto Orci
Alex Kurtzman
Damon Lindelof
Gene Roddenberry (for creating the series)

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1408101/ful ... wr#writers

Writers of Beyond:

Simon Pegg
Doug Jung
Roberto Orci
John D. Payne.
Patrick McKay

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2660888/ful ... wr#writers

That is a really different list.
trekky0623
Redshirt

Post by trekky0623 »

I'm gonna try and trust Simon Pegg when he says that there's more to the movie than what the trailer gives the impression of, but I honestly don't have much hope.

Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

Poor Simon Pegg.

To be fair, the element of the story that's there in the trailer: 'Enterprise crew stranded on war stricken planet having to pick sides' Is fine and has lots of potential. It's just all.. the presentation around that makes give it the side-eye.

But that is what teasers are always like.
darth_timon
Padawan Learner

Post by darth_timon »

I'm going to be cautiously optimistic about it. I didn't mind the trailer and with different writers and a different director, this could be good.
FedRebel
Jedi Master

Post by FedRebel »

The Romulan Republic wrote:Bull shit.

Roberto Orci
Alex Kurtzman
Damon Lindelof

Writers of Beyond:

Simon Pegg
Doug Jung
Roberto Orci
John D. Payne.
Patrick McKay

It's a longer list...which should be worrying, Trek's worst episodes had Bible length writer's credits.
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Post by Eternal_Freedom »

FedRebel wrote:

Roberto Orci
Alex Kurtzman
Damon Lindelof

Writers of Beyond:

Simon Pegg
Doug Jung
Roberto Orci
John D. Payne.
Patrick McKay

It's a longer list...which should be worrying, Trek's worst episodes had Bible length writer's credits.
But so did some of their best (Yesterday's Enterprise springs to mind).
Baltar: "I don't want to miss a moment of the last Battlestar's destruction!"
Centurion: "Sir, I really think you should look at the other Battlestar."
Baltar: "What are you babbling about other...it's impossible!"
Centurion: "No. It is a Battlestar."

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

Or Trials & Tribble-lations. It depends if all the writers wanted to get in on the awesome thing they were doing.... or it's been all around the writer's room as they desperately try to scrape something together for shooting tomorrow.
Mange
Sith Marauder

Post by Mange »

FedRebel wrote:

Roberto Orci
Alex Kurtzman
Damon Lindelof

Writers of Beyond:

Simon Pegg
Doug Jung
Roberto Orci
John D. Payne.
Patrick McKay

The screenplay for Beyond was written by Simon Pegg and Doug Jung. The script by Roberto Orci, John D. Payne and Patrick McKay wasn't used and Pegg has said that neither he nor Jung never even read their script: Nerdist
LastShadow
Youngling

Post by LastShadow »

It looks....exciting, at the very least. Will it be good? i wont really know until i see more trailers, and even then it will take the actual movie to let me say if it looked good. Trailers are very deceptive these days, bad movies look good, good movies look bad. Editing teams and executives need to get closer to the same page.

But my main hope for this movie is that the Enterprise is FINALLY destroyed for good, or damaged enough that the refit comes into play. The ship looks cool, but i want to see the next iteration of the Enterprise, the E-A needs to show up.
Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Post by Borgholio »

Looks like they're doing major reshoots and added a whole new cast member. This can't be good.

http://io9.gizmodo.com/star-trek-beyond ... 1764347508
Justin Lin’s Star Trek Beyond is coming in a few shorts months, but news just broke of reshoots as well as the addition of a new cast member. Deadline reports Shohreh Aghdashloo (24, The Expanse) has been added to the cast as the High Command of the Federation.

We spoke about the film with Lin several months ago and he sounded very confident about the direction it was going. However, this news suggests something was not working when people finally watched the whole thing together. The good news is, if there was a problem, these reshoots are happening to fix it. In theory, they’ll improve the movie... though it is a bit worry some for a new actress to come onto a project this late. If Aghdashloo’s character is a wholly new addition, it could be anything from a quick fix to something more radical.
Star Trek Beyond Is Reshooting and Adding an Entirely New Cast Member

Aghdashloo herself, though, is simply an amazing actress. She first hit with American audiences on 24, was nominated for an Oscar for House of Sand and Fog, won an Emmy for House of Saddam, and has even been in a big genre movie before. She played Dr. Kavita Rao in X-Men: The Last Stand. Recently, she was seen on Grimm and is currently on SyFy’s The Expanse.

Star Trek Beyond is still scheduled for release on July 22.
You will be assimilated...bunghole!
Feil
Jedi Council Member

Post by Feil »

I wonder if they're just trying to create continuity with next year's TV series by inserting a recurring minor character as a bit part in the movie. Especially given her record as a scifi TV star, it would make sense.
Tribble
Sith Devotee

Post by Tribble »

I'll have Q sum up Voyager's main problem:

"Voyager never had a brush with death, never came face to face with its own mortality, never realized how fragile ratings are, how important each scene must be. So its premise never came into focus. It drifted through much of the series, with no plan or agenda, going from one episode to the next, never seizing the opportunities that presented themselves!

It never had a crisis that lasted more than a two-parter, never showed two crews being forced to work together to survive, and no one ever thought they were in any real danger.

They learned to play it safe. And they never, ever, got noticed by anyone."
"I reject your reality and substitute my own!" - The official Troll motto, as stated by Adam Savage
NeoGoomba
Sith Devotee

Post by NeoGoomba »

Tribble wrote:I'll have Q sum up Voyager's main problem:

"Voyager never had a brush with death, never came face to face with its own mortality, never realized how fragile ratings are, how important each scene must be. So its premise never came into focus. It drifted through much of the series, with no plan or agenda, going from one episode to the next, never seizing the opportunities that presented themselves!

It never had a crisis that lasted more than a two-parter, never showed two crews being forced to work together to survive, and no one ever thought they were in any real danger.

/slow clap
"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it. Fifteen hundred years ago everybody knew the Earth was the center of the universe. Five hundred years ago, everybody knew the Earth was flat, and fifteen minutes ago, you knew that humans were alone on this planet. Imagine what you'll know...tomorrow."
-Agent Kay
DaveJB
Jedi Council Member

Post by DaveJB »

Given what we know of the plot so far, it wouldn't surprise me if they're adding a NuTrek equivalent to the scene at the end of The Voyage Home where Kirk and crew get congratulated by the Federation President, and are then given the Enterprise-A.
Tribble
Sith Devotee

Post by Tribble »

NeoGoomba wrote:
Tribble wrote:I'll have Q sum up Voyager's main problem:

/slow clap
Ya I know I'm being silly, but that was the problem in a nutshell. :P

The show was supposed to be... well, pretty much what early nBSG was. Instead we got more TNG, but without the same cast. It was the waste of potential that bugs me the most.

Same with Enterprise, the premise was good (seeing what things were like before the TOS era) unfortunately the execution was horribly flawed.

Hopefully the new series will turn out alright, but I'm going to wait for it to be out for awhile before I take a look.
"I reject your reality and substitute my own!" - The official Troll motto, as stated by Adam Savage
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

Problem with both Voyager and Enterprise can be summed up as playing it safe, that's why they were like TNG with a new cast rather then taking advantage of the premise.

As for the new series, we got to remember that season 1 and 2 of TNG weren't so good either (in fact season 2 is generally considered the worst TNG season), so if it's not "supermega great" from the first episode onwards it doesn't mean it'll suck.
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
Prometheus Unbound
Jedi Master

Post by Prometheus Unbound »

Lord Revan wrote:Problem with both Voyager and Enterprise can be summed up as playing it safe, that's why they were like TNG with a new cast rather then taking advantage of the premise.

As for the new series, we got to remember that season 1 and 2 of TNG weren't so good either (in fact season 2 is generally considered the worst TNG season), so if it's not "supermega great" from the first episode onwards it doesn't mean it'll suck.
but this isn't 1987. There's a billion channels to choose from and no one is going to pay for CBS digital whatever it is (99% of viewers will pirate this show, I guarantee it) - so if it's shit in the first couple of episodes, people will unsub. And no one will view it and it'll get cancelled half way through season 1.
I like Star Trek. It's my favourite Scifi but jeese, give it a rest already. It has done every conceivable Scifi story in one way or another. There is nothing original left to look at.

I'm really not interested in a new TV show or Star Trek Beyond. The last few incarnations of Star Trek have been so far removed from what Star Trek was about, it's just Trek in name only.
NecronLord wrote:
Also, shorten your signature a couple of lines please.