What allies did Voyager make?

PST: discuss Star Trek without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

What allies did Voyager make?

Post by FaxModem1 »

From Caretaker to Endgame, Voyager made enemies. The Kazon, the Borg, the Malons, the Krenim, etc.

But, what allies did Voyager make? Thanks to slipstream and the Pathfinder project, the Federation can continue relations, if not expansion, into the Delta Quadrant. Which races could the Federation continue relations with?
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Re: What allies did Voyager make?

Post by Gandalf »

While allies would be a strong word, they "left a favourable impression" on a bunch of one episode species.

Species 8472 and maybe the Hirogen would be the most obvious examples.
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
Prometheus Unbound
Jedi Master

Post by Prometheus Unbound »

FaxModem1 wrote:From Caretaker to Endgame, Voyager made enemies. The Kazon, the Borg, the Malons, the Krenim, etc.

But, what allies did Voyager make? Thanks to slipstream and the Pathfinder project, the Federation can continue relations, if not expansion, into the Delta Quadrant. Which races could the Federation continue relations with?
Ocampa
Back in time Romulan dude
Talaxians
The Twisted aliens (they had an exchange of data)
Rakosans
Cavemen from Basics
Ilarians
Do the Borg count? Temporarily? The Unimatrix Zero borg I'll pop here, at least
Zahl
Nihydron
Mawasi
Moneans
Qomar
Borg rebel dudes that made their own collective with Chakotay
Lots of races from Drive
Multiple races from The Void
Do the Q count a bit?

There's various others where we me only 1 alien but got on well with them.
NecronLord wrote:
Also, shorten your signature a couple of lines please.
Tribble
Sith Devotee

Post by Tribble »

Gandalf wrote:While allies would be a strong word, they "left a favourable impression" on a bunch of one episode species.

Well, we don't actually know Species 8472's reaction as a whole, apart from the fact that they apparently decided not to purge the galaxy of all life. As they live in another universe, it'd probably be best to just leave them alone.

And the last impression the Hirogen had of Voyager... was Voyager's hologram technology killing a bunch of them.
"I reject your reality and substitute my own!" - The official Troll motto, as stated by Adam Savage
Welf
Padawan Learner

Post by Welf »

There is also the human colony the Voyager discovered. It has only 100.000 people, but would be a good starting point to establish a space. Although I wonder if they by now count as a separate civilization or if they would be offered to instantly join Earth.
Tribble
Sith Devotee

Post by Tribble »

Welf wrote:There is also the human colony the Voyager discovered. It has only 100.000 people, but would be a good starting point to establish a space. Although I wonder if they by now count as a separate civilization or if they would be offered to instantly join Earth.
Oh right yes, the marvellous cities that we never even got to see a matte painting of. I totally forgot about them. I wonder if they found out that Torres literally couldn't identify shit with a tricorder?
"I reject your reality and substitute my own!" - The official Troll motto, as stated by Adam Savage
Prometheus Unbound
Jedi Master

Dunno about it being a good start - that's one of the furthest parts away from the AQ.

Maybe batphone S8472 and ask if you can borrow those spacestations they had.
NecronLord wrote:
FedRebel
Jedi Master

Post by FedRebel »

Gandalf wrote:While allies would be a strong word, they "left a favourable impression" on a bunch of one episode species.

Nope to both

with S8472, it was just one (of apparently many) training outpost, Janeway gave up their only weapon solely on the word from the Administrator that he'd 'try' to talk to his people about Humans not being evil.

If anything, S8472 came out knowing that Voyager had at the time no way of warning the federation of an impending infiltration crisis

As far as the Hirogen...they want to cash in their warranty on holotech after that whole 'Sapient photonic uprising' Voyager wasn't the best tech support...from their point of view

I'd say the race that Voyager had the best impression with was the Talaxians, they took Nelix of their hands.
biostem
Jedi Master

Post by biostem »

Not that it counts for much, but the Doctor did become friendly with that one scientist w/ the phage. Whether she has anyone under her that can be considered a "faction", for purposes of a broader alliance, is another question.
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Post by Eternal_Freedom »

Also, the Mowassi and Nihydron were encountered during the "Year of Hell" that never actually happened, so we can't count them either. Or the Xal.
Baltar: "I don't want to miss a moment of the last Battlestar's destruction!"
Centurion: "Sir, I really think you should look at the other Battlestar."
Baltar: "What are you babbling about other...it's impossible!"
Centurion: "No. It is a Battlestar."

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
FedRebel
Jedi Master

Post by FedRebel »

Prometheus Unbound wrote:
Ocampa
Neutral...at best

interaction with the Ocompa was minimal, and they are best case buried under their planet by the Caretaker (worst case the Kazon found a way in.)
Back in time Romulan dude
Doesn't count, he's not a DQ civilization...and nothing came of that interaction.
Talaxians
Monuments in Voyager's honor all around! For they have taken the blighted one, the terror of incompetence Nelix.
The Twisted aliens (they had an exchange of data)
That was a probe, no direct interaction
Rakosans
More likely neutral, they're probably more confused about this weapon and why it was targeting them, given the apparent prevalence of anti-Voyager sentiment, don't think that will end well
Cavemen from Basics
A pre-neolithic tribe in a seismically active region...oops, they're extinct.
Ilarians
only out of coincidence, they removed an eyesore from the Ilarians. Problem is, Voyager rescued 'Bodysnatcher von Hitler' and created the whole mess in the first place.
Do the Borg count? Temporarily? The Unimatrix Zero borg I'll pop here, at least
Given Unimatrix Zero's absence in Endgame, don't think things ended well for them.

Another thing is the Borg have been pronounced dead before, and this wasn't the first time the Queen was turned into genetic soup either...good bet they're just really, really...really pissed off.
Zahl
Nihydron
Mawasi
Timey Whimey ball, time travel...well "Temporal reset" meant those events never happened
Moneans
Voyager crewman engaging in attempted terrorism with Delta Flyer, given Paris didn't wind up in the Monean version of Gitmo...doubt that incident left a positive impression
Qomar
While initially fancying the Doctor's musical acumen, they did replace him...he was just a fad

Oh, don't forget it was Voyager that damaged their ship...by "accident" and begetted the whole encounter to begin with.
Borg rebel dudes that made their own collective with Chakotay

How exactly did that end well again?

Voyager supports an 'Borg ver. 2.0' against a group resisting default integration
Lots of races from Drive
Meh, okay, they stumbled into a terrorist plot and stopped it.
Multiple races from The Void
Extreme circumstance, and limited to individual ships, mariners tale, nothing more
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

The best thing for PR the UFP could do is demote Janeway from Admiral to Captain, put her in charge of a scout ship under orders to never leave the Alpha Quadrant, and as they re-contact races that Voyager had issues with, let them bring formal charges or grievances against Voyager, and in exchange for not prosecuting Janeway, give them favorable trade conditions.

Otherwise, most of the DQ is probably very, very hostile towards Starfleet and the UFP.
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.
Tribble
Sith Devotee

Post by Tribble »

What about the Doughnut planet aliens? You know, the ones that were stuck in fast forward compared to the rest of the universe? And whose entire civilization revolved around Voyager before they helped them leave?
Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Post by Borgholio »

Given the speed that their planet was evolving, they may have gone extinct by the time the Feds made their way out there.
You will be assimilated...bunghole!
Prometheus Unbound
Jedi Master

Tribble wrote:What about the Doughnut planet aliens? You know, the ones that were stuck in fast forward compared to the rest of the universe? And whose entire civilization revolved around Voyager before they helped them leave?
you mean the one Voyager almost destroyed and spent several thousands years causing 10 on the richter scale earthquakes? That for half it's time was seen as a demon?

Yeah ok lol.

Besides, they were going so fast, they're probably not around after a few weeks - evolved to something else or died out.

Give it 2-3 years, they're either Q level or don't exist.
NecronLord wrote:
Tribble
Sith Devotee

Post by Tribble »

Prometheus Unbound wrote:
Tribble wrote:What about the Doughnut planet aliens? You know, the ones that were stuck in fast forward compared to the rest of the universe? And whose entire civilization revolved around Voyager before they helped them leave?
you mean the one Voyager almost destroyed and spent several thousands years causing 10 on the richter scale earthquakes? That for half it's time was seen as a demon?

Yeah ok lol.

Besides, they were going so fast, they're probably not around after a few weeks - evolved to something else or died out.

Give it 2-3 years, they're either Q level or don't exist.
Or they just figured out how to slow themselves down. They pretty much had that tech by the end of the episode .

And you have to admit, being treated as a demon is still pretty good by Voyager standards. That's like practically begging to join in an alliance
Prometheus Unbound
Jedi Master

Two good points :D

There's those dudes (I probably mentioned them above) who Voyager saved from the Dreadnought. They actually signed off "You've made a friend today."

Those stupid pleasure people wouldn't be a reliable ally by any stretch but they won't be hostile. Hell they only got pissed off with Voyager because Voyager actually stole tech after being explicitly told they can't use or have it - their own version of the PD. In any event it didn't work - Voyager actually royally fucked up there - but I don't think the race would be hostile, not after they get access to Quark's holosuite programs :D
NecronLord wrote:
Q99
Jedi Council Member

Post by Q99 »

Yea, they really didn't make many real allies, did they? Plenty of acquaintances, at least.
FedRebel wrote: Nope to both

with S8472, it was just one (of apparently many) training outpost, Janeway gave up their only weapon solely on the word from the Administrator that he'd 'try' to talk to his people about Humans not being evil.

If anything, S8472 came out knowing that Voyager had at the time no way of warning the federation of an impending infiltration crisis
And knowing Voy had done so purposefully, trusting them, may have made an impression.
Prometheus Unbound
Jedi Master

well the galaxy wasn't purged the next day with thousands of singularities opening in Federation space so we can assume not :)
NecronLord wrote:
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

That might have given Voyager some good will with S8472, especially as that gave them a collaboration at the mockup Starfleet Academy, with Boothby even giving Janeway some roses.

Who knows, Boothby might appear at the UFP someday and ask to deal with Janeway in talks about expanding relations. It's also possible that S8472 will just stay out of the Milky Way galaxy unless someone decides to stir up the hornets nest again.
Tribble
Sith Devotee

Post by Tribble »

Prometheus Unbound wrote:well the galaxy wasn't purged the next day with thousands of singularities opening in Federation space so we can assume not :)
Or it could be that they are taking their time planning and gathering enough forces to make absolutely certain that when they try to purge the galaxy again they'll succeed. We really don't know anything, "Boothby" just said that they he would talk to their leadership and try to persuade them to back down. We have no idea if he was successful or not.
Prometheus Unbound
Jedi Master

Not overtly, but that the Federation was still around 20 odd years in the future (ST09) ... and I dunno about STO etc.

what I don't get is they could duplicate everything, they knew everything... so why did they even think the Federation wanted a war?
NecronLord wrote:
Tribble
Sith Devotee

Post by Tribble »

Prometheus Unbound wrote:Not overtly, but that the Federation was still around 20 odd years in the future (ST09) ... and I dunno about STO etc.

what I don't get is they could duplicate everything, they knew everything... so why did they even think the Federation wanted a war?
Well, they did have to deal with a Federation captain joining the Borg in an alliance. That's not the kind of thing they'd likely forget anytime soon. They probably just assumed that if push came to shove the rest of the Federation would behave just like Voyager did, so they might as well prepare to take them out too.