Jennifer Lien Arrested For Indecent Exposure

PST: discuss Star Trek without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

Eframepilot
Jedi Master

Jennifer Lien Arrested For Indecent Exposure

Post by Eframepilot »

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/jen ... 33e54be09d
Huffington Post wrote:Former "Star Trek: Voyager" actress Jennifer Lien was arrested in her Harriman, Tennessee, home on Sept. 3 after allegedly exposing herself in front of children, according to multiple reports.

ABC WATE reports that on Aug. 31 a neighbor passing by the 41-year-old's home commented on her crying children, which led to the actress lashing out at the neighbor with a "vulgar" tirade.

The neighbor claims that Lien then exposed herself, lifting up her shirt and dropping her pants, all while three children looked on. Lien denied exposing herself, but police issued her a detainer summons, charging her with indecent exposure.

According to the police report obtained by Variety, when officers later appeared with a warrant on Sept. 3, the actress was naked under a blanket and resisted arrest.

Lien, who appeared on “Star Trek: Voyager” from 1995 to 2000 as Kes, allegedly threatened the arresting officers, claiming she would have all of them shot and killed. She remains in custody at this time.
The strangest Star Trek news I've heard in a long, long time.
Korgeta
Padawan Learner

Re: Jennifer Lien Arrested For Indecent Exposure

Post by Korgeta »

It's terrible news, I know people can have breakdown but I never thought it would be Lien, after being in voyager just have a steady set of roles, afterwards, obviously something has gone wrong and just hope she gets support.
FSTargetDrone
Emperor's Hand

Post by FSTargetDrone »

The Variety story about this from 15 September shows what are apparently her mugshots at age 41:

The difference in her appearance from what is apparently a photo of her taken in 2012 as seen on her IMDb page is astonishing:

Prometheus Unbound
Jedi Master

Post by Prometheus Unbound »

FSTargetDrone wrote: The difference in her appearance from what is apparently a photo of her taken in 2012 as seen on her IMDb page is astonishing:

Not really? She's shaved her head and dyed it (or stopped dyeing it). OTher than that, not that much difference.

One's a mug shot of her either uner the influence or no sleep for days... an the other is a posed, properlly lit and makeuped pic.

Every site (like 6) I've seen with forums or comments talking about this is all LOOK HOW SHIT SHE LOOKS.

Well no shit. She clearly has gone through some troubles. What those are I don't want to guess and it's not my business. But talking about her appearance seems a bit crappy imo.
NecronLord wrote:
Also, shorten your signature a couple of lines please.
Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Post by Borgholio »

Her appearance doesn't matter as far as this criminal case is concerned, but as a side issue it is rather shocking. She looks like a Founder.
You will be assimilated...bunghole!
ZOmegaZ
Youngling

Post by ZOmegaZ »

She was 20 when Voyager started. Now she's 41. Of course she looks different.
Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Post by Borgholio »

It's not that she simply aged. Her entire look changed. She is totally unrecognizable.
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

The 2012 picture versus the 2015 mugshot is still quite recognizable- if you're aware that she shaved her hair.

One question is, is your idea of "her look" that of Kes on the show? Because that was how Lien looked after extensive makeup deliberately trying to make her look like a mildly unearthly being, as I understand it. Nobody would look like that on a regular day to day basis.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
Ziggy Stardust
Sith Devotee

Post by Ziggy Stardust »

ZOmegaZ wrote:She was 20 when Voyager started. Now she's 41. Of course she looks different.
Nobody was comparing her to how she looked on Voyager. The comparison was explicitly between the 2015 and 2012 pictures.
Prometheus Unbound
Jedi Master

Ziggy Stardust wrote:
ZOmegaZ wrote:She was 20 when Voyager started. Now she's 41. Of course she looks different.
Nobody was comparing her to how she looked on Voyager. The comparison was explicitly between the 2015 and 2012 pictures.
one's a mug shot after god knows what she's taken, the other is in makeup for a publicity photo.

Of course she looks different.
NecronLord wrote:
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

She may not be taking anything - she might, in fact, need to be on drugs if she has some form of mental illness.

I think the safest thing to say here is that the woman has "issues", or less euphemistically, "problems".
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Post by Borgholio »

One question is, is your idea of "her look" that of Kes on the show?
Oh hell no, I'm well aware of the amount of makeup and styling they use on actors and actresses. I'm comparing between this one and her mugshot:

This image was taken in 2004 at a Trek Convention. 10 years isn't really all that long of a time, so while I could reasonably expect her to maybe gain a little weight or change her hair style somewhat, the difference between that and her mugshot is more than I would have expected.
Prometheus Unbound
Jedi Master

Broomstick wrote:She may not be taking anything - she might, in fact, need to be on drugs if she has some form of mental illness.

I think the safest thing to say here is that the woman has "issues", or less euphemistically, "problems".
Yes fair. May have been a few nights up without sleep, really unflattering lighting... who knows. Not my business. I was just saying i seems unfair to judge how she looks in a mugshot after ~something~ rather than with a stylist and makeup artist helping her.
NecronLord wrote:
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Ziggy Stardust wrote:
Those look pretty much the same, given that one is a police mugshot of a disheveled messed-up woman who had shaved her head, while the other is a photograph of a woman with an actual hairstyle and (I think) some makeup on.

It is entirely possible for the same person to look completely different after only a few days if those days are stressful enough and cause them to be unable/unwilling to engage in personal grooming. This is especially true for women in Western society, because social expectations result in women spending quite a bit more time and attention working out the details of their hairstyles, clothing, and personal appearance in general.

Any event which stops a woman from doing that can make her "look totally different."
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
Ziggy Stardust
Sith Devotee

Post by Ziggy Stardust »

Why did Prometheus and Simon both respond to my post that way? I never said a single thing about whether I thought the woman looked the same in those two pictures or not. All I said in my post was that we were NOT talking about how she looked on the show, as an earlier poster implied.
Soontir C'boath
SG-14: Fuck the Medic!
Location: Queens, NYC I DON'T FUCKING CARE IF MANHATTEN IS CONSIDERED NYC!! I'M IN IT ASSHOLE!!!

Post by Soontir C'boath »

Newsflash. Some woman who looked beautiful can turn ugly in just a few years. Men goes bald usually in their late 40s-50s.

Is she crazy because she decided the best way to tell someone off is to allegedly expose her genitals or threatening to kill the cops, or both? Who knows, but hopefully her kids come out decent. Where's the husband in all this? Is he batshit insane to marry her and have kids with her? We'll be talking to leading expert in family values, Ann Coulter. Coming up at 5AM.
I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in his stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Counciler or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate, who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who constantly says: "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I cannot agree with your methods of direct action"; who paternalistically believes he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by a mythical concept of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait for a "more convenient season."
Prometheus Unbound
Jedi Master

Ziggy Stardust wrote:Why did Prometheus and Simon both respond to my post that way? I never said a single thing about whether I thought the woman looked the same in those two pictures or not. All I said in my post was that we were NOT talking about how she looked on the show, as an earlier poster implied.
Ziggy, sorry I wasn't making a personal attack against yourself. Just each forum I'm in discussing this is probably have the responders to these threads going doesn't she look bad, hasn't she let herself go etc.

Maybe it's because it's Kes and I like the character, but I just think if Jen ever read these threads (or on facebook or twitter where the same comments are there) it would be heartbreaking for her, that people seem to care more for how she looks than her, herself.

Anyway, she's obviously got to a bad place in her life and I wish her well.
NecronLord wrote:
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

Human decency toward a celebrity who's involved in a scandal? What is the world coming to? ;)