Bluetooth ST communicator

PST: discuss Star Trek without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Bluetooth ST communicator

Post by FaxModem1 »

http://www.thatisnewtome.com/2015/07/th ... or-is.html
The Star Trek Bluetooth Communicator is coming for $149 in January PUBLISHED ON: 7/11/2015 IN: Featured, News, Technology
acebook

Older Post

Remember how all those "flip" mobile phones were reportedly inspired by the communicator used by Kirk, Spock and the other members of the original Star Trek TV cast? Well, there will soon be a way to make and receive smartphone calls using a exact replica of that fictional device. The Wand
Company has just announced plans to release its Star Trek Bluetooth Communicator in January.
Here's what the official Star Trek site has to say about this very cool accessory:
Structured-light 3D scanning allowed the Wand Company to ensure that every line and curve of the original communicator was perfectly captured. And while the Wand Company's latest product won't be able to call a starship orbiting the planet, it will pair with Bluetooth-enabled mobile phones to answer calls with a flick of the classic antenna grille.
The Communicator will include a sleek stand, using an invisible magnetic catch to hold the Communicator securely in place. It also has a built-in wireless charging capability, so that the Communicator will always be fully charged and ready for use.
Diecast metal, stamped and machined aluminum, specially made microphone and antenna grilles and a painstakingly reproduced housing texture further ensure that the Communicator is a serious prop that will delight collectors.
Of course, the Star Trek Bluetooth Communicator will also include a number of authentic sound effects and recorded cast lines from the original series, and it can also be used as a Bluetooth speaker for just playing music or maybe your favorite podcast. Pre-orders for the device are now being taken at the official Star Trek website for the price of $149.95.
Looks neat, but the thing is that the original series communicator was a prop meant to look cool, I don't think there are enough buttons or lack of a touch screen for whoever is using it to be able to do stuff with it.
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Re: Bluetooth ST communicator

Post by Lord Revan »

I dout it's meant to replicate the full funtions of a smart phone, but rather it's fancy reciever for your calls so that instead of pressing the "anwser call" icon on your phone you press a button on the communicator and press a second button to end the call, but you'll still need your phone to dial a number.
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

Think of it as an smart watch type thing. You can do verbal commands and I'm sure there's some screen hidden somewhere, but for actual functionality you would want a proper phone.
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

Um-it explicitly says this is supposed to be used with an actual phone.
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'