Transporters for Intraplanetary Travel

PST: discuss Star Trek without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Re: Transporters for Intraplanetary Travel

Post by Lord Revan »

J Ryan wrote:Didn't one of the scenes in Enterprise that showed the future Enterprise J (yeah I know) feature transporters to move around the ship? This seems to imply that if there was any issue with casual use of transporters it's been resolved if people use them to avoid moving a few decks in an elevator.
no that was not said in the episode (we really see just a bit of a corridor and a window from the Ent-J. The "use transporters to move around" is from the background info they gave and thus is non-canon).
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
amigocabal
Jedi Knight

Post by amigocabal »

Borgholio wrote:
What's the largest / heaviest object we've ever seen be moved by transporter?
I do not know. What is Voyager's mass?
Baffalo
Jedi Knight

Post by Baffalo »

J Ryan wrote:Didn't one of the scenes in Enterprise that showed the future Enterprise J (yeah I know) feature transporters to move around the ship? This seems to imply that if there was any issue with casual use of transporters it's been resolved if people use them to avoid moving a few decks in an elevator.
I don't know but I personally would NOT want to rely entirely on such a complex system when an elevator is still one of the most simplistic means of travel around. I mean, you're essentially saving, at most, 5 minutes. Tops.
"I subsist on 3 things: Sugar, Caffeine, and Hatred." -Baffalo late at night and hungry

"Why are you worried about the water pressure? You're near the ocean, you've got plenty of water!" -Architect to our team
Darth Tanner
Jedi Master

Post by Darth Tanner »

Baffalo wrote:
I don't know but I personally would NOT want to rely entirely on such a complex system when an elevator is still one of the most simplistic means of travel around. I mean, you're essentially saving, at most, 5 minutes. Tops.
Although I agree with your point an elevator is also a significantly more complex system than a ladder or simply set of stairs and saves time/effort over those means of moving floors - if by Enterprise J time transporters are that casual/reliable a technology (and they would have been in use for hundreds of years by this point) then I don't see it as a problem for their use to have grown prolific. I'd assume there were still ladders and lifts around for when they break regardless as well as several species that don't like transporters.
Get busy living or get busy dying... unless there’s cake.
Prometheus Unbound
Jedi Master

Post by Prometheus Unbound »

amigocabal wrote:
Borgholio wrote:
What's the largest / heaviest object we've ever seen be moved by transporter?
I do not know. What is Voyager's mass?
Heh yeah there were the lizard people who did that. Voyager is 700,000 metric tonnes.

Klingon transporters have done 400 tonnes of matter (2x whales and the water).

Dominion transporters can go up to 3 light years.
NecronLord wrote:
Also, shorten your signature a couple of lines please.
Baffalo
Jedi Knight

Post by Baffalo »

Doesn't the Utopia Planetia use a complex network of transporters, replicators, and other equipment to rapid build prototypes and such? Or am I thinking of something else?
"I subsist on 3 things: Sugar, Caffeine, and Hatred." -Baffalo late at night and hungry

"Why are you worried about the water pressure? You're near the ocean, you've got plenty of water!" -Architect to our team
Prometheus Unbound
Jedi Master

Post by Prometheus Unbound »

That's not in any canon source that I'm aware of - but I'd be very surprised if transporters and replicators were not involved at all in the construction of starships and other large structures.
NecronLord wrote:
Also, shorten your signature a couple of lines please.
Baffalo
Jedi Knight

Post by Baffalo »

Prometheus Unbound wrote:That's not in any canon source that I'm aware of - but I'd be very surprised if transporters and replicators were not involved at all in the construction of starships and other large structures.
I'm thinking it would just about have to be. Even if not every component can be replicated, the majority of components could be transported into place or simply have a huge replicator matrix. Good god, you could handle the bulk of it that way and churn out starships in record time.