The Original Enterprise in the Films

PST: discuss Star Trek without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

Baffalo
Jedi Knight

The Original Enterprise in the Films

Post by Baffalo »

I found this interesting picture set where the creator substituted the original Enterprise into the movies instead of the refit.

"I subsist on 3 things: Sugar, Caffeine, and Hatred." -Baffalo late at night and hungry

"Why are you worried about the water pressure? You're near the ocean, you've got plenty of water!" -Architect to our team
Knife
Emperor's Hand

Re: The Original Enterprise in the Films

Post by Knife »

Cool pics. I know it is heresy, but I much prefer the refit to the original though.
They say, "the tree of liberty must be watered with the blood of tyrants and patriots." I suppose it never occurred to them that they are the tyrants, not the patriots. Those weapons are not being used to fight some kind of tyranny; they are bringing them to an event where people are getting together to talk. -Mike Wong

But as far as board culture in general, I do think that young male overaggression is a contributing factor to the general atmosphere of hostility. It's not SOS and the Mess throwing hand grenades all over the forum- Red
Tsyroc
Emperor's Hand

Post by Tsyroc »

Knife wrote:Cool pics. I know it is heresy, but I much prefer the refit to the original though.
I think I do, although I do like how the original turned out in the remastered TOS and in DS9 etc...
By the pricking of my thumb,
Something wicked this way comes.
Open, locks,
Whoever knocks.
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

nice pics, though I think some of them could have been blurred a bit more to match the "plate".

the refit or the alternative versions aren't bad and DS, TOS remaster and ENT did a pretty decent job of making the Connie look like it wasn't a plastic toy.
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
Baffalo
Jedi Knight

Post by Baffalo »

IIRC the Enterprise was originally going to be upside down from what we consider it today. Not only that but the tubes in the rear of the warp nacelles were supposed to be for the output of the huge rocket engines the nacelles were originally intended to be. No warp drive, just really big engines.
"I subsist on 3 things: Sugar, Caffeine, and Hatred." -Baffalo late at night and hungry

"Why are you worried about the water pressure? You're near the ocean, you've got plenty of water!" -Architect to our team
DaveJB
Jedi Council Member

Post by DaveJB »

Baffalo wrote:IIRC the Enterprise was originally going to be upside down from what we consider it today.
That was actually the Reliant in TWOK, which was meant to have nacelles atop the saucer and a torpedo launcher slung underneath it. And before that they were just going to use the Enterprise model for both ships, until someone pointed out that audiences wouldn't be able to tell which ship was shooting which in the battle sequences. :P

As for the OP pics, I think that while the refit Enterprise definitely fit the visual aesthetic of the TOS movies better, they show that the pre-refit design could well have worked in the new movies.
Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Post by Borgholio »

I will agree that on the handful of occasions where they redid the TOS Enterprise, it looked really good. For instance in Enterprise when they had the Defiant actually being seen at warp and going into combat...that made me squeal with nerd-delight. The Connies really are good looking ships when portrayed correctly.
You will be assimilated...bunghole!
Joun_Lord
Jedi Master

Post by Joun_Lord »

I always loved how elegant the Connie looks. Compared to later, and earlier, Feddie ships it just appears so much more graceful. It doesn't look like a big heavy ship. Ships like the D just look, I dunno, chunky and ugly compared.

The Abrams Enterprise isn't too bad but just seems a bit less elegant then the original.

My main problem with the refit is just the nacelles. The Enterprise should be smooth lines, the blocky nacelles just clash.
biostem
Jedi Master

Post by biostem »

This is just my opinion, but one thing I really liked about the E-Nil was that it *didn't* look like a vessel that could support itself under an atmosphere. I looked at the seemingly delicate design, and thought right away "yeah, that's a spaceship".
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!
Location: Hell. In The Room Right Next to Reagan. He's Fucking Bonzo. No, wait... Bonzo's fucking HIM.

Post by Flagg »

I have never been a fan of the pre-refit Constitution class, but I do like it coming out of the water. The others are "meh" to me. My favorite "E-nil" is the Abrams one. I think it strikes the right balance between being instantly recognizable while putting something new on the table.
We pissing our pants yet?
-Negan

You got your shittin' pants on? Because you’re about to
Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
does; he who cannot, teaches.
-George Bernard Shaw
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

My favourite Constitution is still the movie era refit, but the DS9+ redos did a very good job of making the original design look good.
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
Mange
Sith Marauder

Post by Mange »

DaveJB wrote:
Baffalo wrote:IIRC the Enterprise was originally going to be upside down from what we consider it today.
That was actually the Reliant in TWOK, which was meant to have nacelles atop the saucer and a torpedo launcher slung underneath it. And before that they were just going to use the Enterprise model for both ships, until someone pointed out that audiences wouldn't be able to tell which ship was shooting which in the battle sequences. :P

As for the OP pics, I think that while the refit Enterprise definitely fit the visual aesthetic of the TOS movies better, they show that the pre-refit design could well have worked in the new movies.
As Baffalo implied, one of Jeffries designs did indeed show an upside-down orientation which Roddenberry favored (and had a small model built with that orientation). Jeffries didn't like it and won in the end.