Voyager Aeroshuttle SFX test footage

PST: discuss Star Trek without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

TimothyC
Of Sector 2814

Voyager Aeroshuttle SFX test footage

Post by TimothyC »

I didn't see this on a quick look, so I figured that I'd post it:

This was a visual effects concept test to show the producers of Voyager what a launch sequence of the (as of yet) unused "Aeroshuttle" might look like. This special craft was capable of warp speeds and able to fly in a planetary atmosphere. Ultimately, the decision was made to leave the Aeroshuttle alone and introduce the Delta Flyer (this was shortly before the movie "Insurrection," which featured a launch sequence of the Captain's Yacht - the producers didn't want Voyager to "steal the thunder" of such a scene from the upcoming movie). The test was created by Voyager CGI Supervisors Rob Bonchune and Adam "Mojo" Lebowitz, under the supervision of VFX Producer Dan Curry.
"I believe in the future. It is wonderful because it stands on what has been achieved." - Sergei Korolev
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Re: Voyager Aeroshuttle SFX test footage

Post by FaxModem1 »

While it looks cool, I'm glad they didn't use it. It brings up the question of why Voyager never used it in previous seasons, and makes the crew seem like idiots for never using it. Also, the Delta Flyer looks cooler and shows the crew of Voyager thinking outside the box in regards to surviving their situation.
Purple
Sith Acolyte
Location: In a purple cube orbiting this planet. Hijacking satellites for an internet connection.

Post by Purple »

I love how the controls basically have the guy pressing a whole bunch of buttons at once. And they are far away from one another. So basically I guess that if your pilot has small hands you are screwed.
It has become clear to me in the previous days that any attempts at reconciliation and explanation with the community here has failed. I have tried my best. I really have. I pored my heart out trying. But it was all for nothing.

You win. There, I have said it.

Now there is only one thing left to do. Let us see if I can sum up the strength needed to end things once and for all.
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

Well, that's just stock footage that they cut in from some other scene, as was the scene on the bridge of Janeway walking to Paris.
Purple
Sith Acolyte
Location: In a purple cube orbiting this planet. Hijacking satellites for an internet connection.

Post by Purple »

FaxModem1 wrote:Well, that's just stock footage that they cut in from some other scene, as was the scene on the bridge of Janeway walking to Paris.
That actually makes it worse because it implies a serious flaw in the design of a console that is a tad more important than a strange shuttle craft.
It has become clear to me in the previous days that any attempts at reconciliation and explanation with the community here has failed. I have tried my best. I really have. I pored my heart out trying. But it was all for nothing.

Now there is only one thing left to do. Let us see if I can sum up the strength needed to end things once and for all.
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

This is TNG+ Trek. They routinely have to push a zillion buttons for the simplest maneuvers...on ships with a computer that will happily accept voice commands.
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

Purple wrote:
FaxModem1 wrote:Well, that's just stock footage that they cut in from some other scene, as was the scene on the bridge of Janeway walking to Paris.
That actually makes it worse because it implies a serious flaw in the design of a console that is a tad more important than a strange shuttle craft.
That really depends on what is being operated. My laptop has dozens of keys on its keyboard. I don't use all of them depending on the situation, and as we have no idea what's actually being done in the clip, it could be something as simple as searching for a file or typing in a password, scrolling through files, whatever.
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

FaxModem1 wrote:
Purple wrote:
That really depends on what is being operated. My laptop has dozens of keys on its keyboard. I don't use all of them depending on the situation, and as we have no idea what's actually being done in the clip, it could be something as simple as searching for a file or typing in a password, scrolling through files, whatever.
Or, you know, they could just go with something suited for XYZ-axis maneuvering... a joystick or pilot's yoke. Add two buttons for yawing (rudder action), a throttle slider, and you're good.

On a big ship I understand using a keyboard to control the action as (if you go by movie-physics anyway) they're slower and more ponderous, but with a smaller craft you should use something suited to maneuvering rapidly, especially within atmosphere.

Even the Space Shuttle has joysticks:
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Post by Borgholio »

When Paris added a joystick to the Delta Flyer, the other crewmembers mocked him for it. That just goes to show why he was considered such a great pilot...he actually knew which controls were most efficient for controlling a flying machine.
You will be assimilated...bunghole!
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

Looks like Kira and Bashir in the cockpit there to me. Makes sense the aeroshuttle design basically steals the runabout fuselage and sticks wings on it.
Last edited by Crazedwraith on 2014-08-05 02:32pm, edited 1 time in total.
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

Though it does come to me that I've read that the majority of Shuttle flights are actually autopiloted almost entirely (strictly IIRC). The joystick is a backup; the crew mostly sits there and watches everything to make sure it goes fine. I think there's been at least one pilot-controlled Shuttle landing just to make sure they could do it, but apart from that they mostly let the computer do it.

On Voyager? Everybody's pounding a tablet screen.

I wonder how long it is before someone makes an iOS game where you try to pilot a starship with a LCARS equivalent...
Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Post by Borgholio »

They made a big deal in the Pilot for TNG about how Riker needed to prove himself to Picard by doing a "manual" docking of the Stardrive and Saucer sections. Turns out it just meant typing in commands into the autopilot instead of telling the computer to dock the ship. True manual docking should have taken better part of an hour for something that big.
You will be assimilated...bunghole!
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

Makes one wonder just how much work the computers are doing behind the scenes and how much actual human input anybody has in ST. Who knows, maybe all the crew are doing with the LCARS is just moving dots around and the computer's doing everything for them without them really realizing it.

But let's not turn ST computers into Culture Minds :P
Captain Seafort
Jedi Council Member

Post by Captain Seafort »

Elheru Aran wrote:Though it does come to me that I've read that the majority of Shuttle flights are actually autopiloted almost entirely (strictly IIRC). The joystick is a backup; the crew mostly sits there and watches everything to make sure it goes fine. I think there's been at least one pilot-controlled Shuttle landing just to make sure they could do it, but apart from that they mostly let the computer do it.

On Voyager? Everybody's pounding a tablet screen.
Maybe they're playing Solitaire. Or Minesweeper. :P
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

Problem is we can usually see those screens...and they're the typical LCARS layout. Of course maybe they've just gotten really good at ALT-TABing to something that looks like they're working :)
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
Tribble
Sith Devotee

Post by Tribble »

I've never been a fan of the captain's yacht being built into the outer hull of the ship. Why would they do that? To me it doesn't really make sense. That's valuable space which would be better used for more critical systems, such as weapons, sensors etc. I could understand maybe having one for starships that don't have a shuttlebay for some reason because theremnight be times when having a second smaller craft is crucial, but it doesn't make sense for ships with shuttlebays like the E-D or Voyager.
"I reject your reality and substitute my own!" - The official Troll motto, as stated by Adam Savage
Batman
Emperor's Hand

Post by Batman »

Except I don't think the Captain's Yacht would fit 'into' the shuttle bays, and even if it did, it would displace a considerable number of ordinary shuttles.
The more interesting question is 'what the hell do they need this thing for to begin with?'
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

Prancing about, getting some quality time with Vash without Riker cramping your style. That's about it :P
Purple
Sith Acolyte

Post by Purple »

Batman wrote:Except I don't think the Captain's Yacht would fit 'into' the shuttle bays, and even if it did, it would displace a considerable number of ordinary shuttles.
The more interesting question is 'what the hell do they need this thing for to begin with?'
Given that starfleet ships seem to be on call for diplomatic duty quite often I can imagine that having a yacht to show off your prestige to various small minded small world diplomats might come in handy.

Batman
Emperor's Hand

Post by Batman »

As opposed to...showing off the big honking starship you're already on?
Tribble
Sith Devotee

Post by Tribble »

Sorry, I should have been more clear. IMO a captain's yacht is a silly idea most starships seen on screen already have a shuttlebay, so what's the point? Having one mounted in the hull is a waste of space when there are other shuttles available. And you wouldn't really need a yacht that big to begin with.

The only situation where something like this might make sense is for starships that may require a smaller ship to be available for the occasional mission, but not necessarily a shuttlebay full of them. IMO this could be useful for small, short range vessels - any serious maintenance could be done at the nearest starbase, so a full shuttlebay isn't needed. And a shuttlebay would probably take up more space than simply integrating the yacht into the hull.

As for the E-D, E-E, Voyager etc.... ya, no real reason for having a captain's yacht. At least that's my take on it.
"I reject your reality and substitute my own!" - The official Troll motto, as stated by Adam Savage
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

Batman wrote:As opposed to...showing off the big honking starship you're already on?
Not everyone will be impressed by the same thing.

Having a bigger, nicer, shuttlecraft could be a better way to ferry diplomats who may not enjoy the transporter and for whom the runabouts might not be nice enough.
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
Alyeska
Federation Ambassador

Post by Alyeska »

One of the elements of the Aeroshuttle is that it was based on the same chassis as the Runabout. And so Voyager would use the same cockpit set as the DS9 Runabout. By this point DS9 was very rarely using the Runabout and cost wise this would have been a significant benefit. Of course the issue of why the Areoshuttle was never used before still comes up. So the Delta Flyer makes sense from an in-universe perspective from what we know.
"If the facts are on your side, pound on the facts. If the law is on your side, pound on the law. If neither is on your side, pound on the table."

"The captain claimed our people violated a 4,000 year old treaty forbidding us to develop hyperspace technology. Extermination of our planet was the consequence. The subject did not survive interrogation."