Is Sisko a child of rape?

PST: discuss Star Trek without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

Lord Anubis
Redshirt

Is Sisko a child of rape?

Post by Lord Anubis »

In DS9 it was eventually revealed that the woman who raised Ben Sisko was not in fact his biological mother. His father had been married/involved with another woman previously who was the biological mother of Ben, only it turns out that she was a meat puppet controlled by a Prophet. After giving birth control apparently reverted to the human host who immediately fled and was oh so conveniently killed in an hovercraft accident in the near future.

I'm wondering does this make Sisko a child of rape? And if so, who is the rapist? The Prophet? Sisko's Dad? Would it be possible to prosecute for that crime? How would that case even be made?
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Re: Is Sisko a child of rape?

Post by Batman »

I don't see how Sisko's Dad could ever be guilty of rape (at least not in the eyes of the law). As far as he knew, this was consensual sex (heck the Prophet-possessed mother-to-be might have forced herself onto him). Either way, the rapist is definitely the Prophet.
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
Darmalus
Jedi Master

Post by Darmalus »

It's pretty clear that the mother was raped, both mentally by being turned into a meat puppet and sexually when the puppet master made her have sex with Sisko's Dad.

However, the tricky and rather more interesting question is if Sisko's Dad (does he have a name? or was he always just called dad?) was raped. I'm pretty sure I'd feel violated if it was revealed one of my previous girlfriends had been coerced by an unknown 3rd party, but would it be rape?
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

His name is Joseph Sisko, unless you want to call him Admiral Cartwright

I don't know if I would call Joseph's part rape, to him or from him. Unless any time someone is a mole in a false romance for pragmatic, espionage, or duty reasons rape. Was the Dabo Girl that was dating Barclay for intel on Voyager raping Barclay for the info on him? I would say no. In both cases, however, the poor guy was used.

However, Sarah Sisko was definitely used as a puppet by the Prophet, and mind raped by them.
SilverDragonRed
Padawan Learner

Post by SilverDragonRed »

I had the uncomfortable feeling that rape was thrown in there to have Ben Sisko be a sci-fi Hercules when I first watched DS9 about half-a-year ago. So thank you for bringing that disturbance back up (especially there isn't the stupidity of Vulcan baseball to distract me).
Ah yes, the "Alpha Legion". I thought we had dismissed such claims.