star trek axanar

PST: discuss Star Trek without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

DarthPooky
Padawan Learner

star trek axanar

Post by DarthPooky »

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zh4JbLhH_8w[/youtube]

I hope iv got this YouTube link figured out im still a noob so if not I apologise if I didn't get it right. Im curies to get your opinion on the new fanfic star trek axanar. Iv heard its the biggest fanfic that's been ever made and they've made thousands on kick starter and it looks pretty good to. The special effects look pretty good to. One other thing I liked about it that the main site mentions is the big Klingon commander is not necessarily a mad raging barbarian but is more calm and contemplative which I like.
Rogue 9
Scrapping TIEs since 1997

Re: star trek axanar

Post by Rogue 9 »

DarthPooky wrote:[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zh4JbLhH_8w[/youtube]

I hope iv got this YouTube link figured out im still a noob so if not I apologise if I didn't get it right. Im curies to get your opinion on the new fanfic star trek axanar. Iv heard its the biggest fanfic that's been ever made and they've made thousands on kick starter and it looks pretty good to. The special effects look pretty good to. One other thing I liked about it that the main site mentions is the big Klingon commander is not necessarily a mad raging barbarian but is more calm and contemplative which I like.
You didn't. You need to take the s out of https to get the tags to work, like so:

At any rate, it looks very interesting. I have to wonder how they got CBS and Paramount to give them the rights, though; they're shooting a feature length film with paid professional actors and crew. That's not fanfilm territory we're talking about here.
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

HAB | KotL | VRWC/ELC/CDA | TRotR | The Anti-Confederate | Sluggite | Gamer | Blogger | Staff Reporter | Student | Musician
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

Rogue 9 wrote:I have to wonder how they got CBS and Paramount to give them the rights, though; they're shooting a feature length film with paid professional actors and crew. That's not fanfilm territory we're talking about here.

I did check out their Kickstarter page and all they say on about legal issues is:
"Star Trek" is a licensed property of CBS and so they have the final say in any Star Trek venture. However, the Axanar team has dealt with CBS and knows the landscape that must be navigated.
That is not encouraging.

More worrying is that they set the funding goal to only $100,000. Which they say is only enough for them to build the set.
Rogue 9

Post by Rogue 9 »

The second part is understandable from their perspective; Kickstarter doesn't do partial fulfillment, so if they tried to raise it all at once and fell a little short they'd get nothing. But if CBS hasn't sued them by the time the Kickstarter campaign is over, either they're fine with it or their legal department is asleep at the switch. It's not like this is unknown at this point.
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

HAB | KotL | VRWC/ELC/CDA | TRotR | The Anti-Confederate | Sluggite | Gamer | Blogger | Staff Reporter | Student | Musician
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

What do you expect them to do with the money if they meet the Kickstarter goal, but don't get enough to actually complete the project ?

If the project meets its goal, Kickstarter takes a cut of the money collected. So giving it all back is not an option if the project reaches its goal.
Rogue 9

Post by Rogue 9 »

Well right now the campaign is at a third of their total stated budget with three weeks to go. They'd already planned on other fundraisers in the future as they need them, and at the rate they're going and the snowballing nature of crowdsourcing, I don't think falling short on the budget is going to be what kills them if anything does.
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

Rogue 9

Post by Rogue 9 »

Ghetto edit: According to the FAQ on their website, the project "uses the intellectual property of CBS under the provision that Axanar is totally non-commercial." Unless they're taking great liberties with how they word it, that means that this is a provision set by CBS, so if that's the case they're pretty safe.
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

Rogue 9 wrote:Ghetto edit: According to the FAQ on their website, the project "uses the intellectual property of CBS under the provision that Axanar is totally non-commercial." Unless they're taking great liberties with how they word it, that means that this is a provision set by CBS, so if that's the case they're pretty safe.
That sounds like a typical deal for a fanfilm, so they probably have got permission.
DarthPooky
Padawan Learner

Post by DarthPooky »

On thare kick starter page thay have prelude to axanar up. Its meant as a history chanal Documentary type show that's about 20 miniutes. I'm Quite impressed the acting is good the CGI is great. A klingon ship crashing into a city was just awesome. I would advise every one to check it out and post what thay think.
Rogue 9

Post by Rogue 9 »

Yeah, Prelude to Axanar is pretty great. I especially liked cutting from Captain Garth saying "I guess there are a lot worse things a Klingon can call you" to Sonya Alexander recounting that they called her "Queen Bitch Whore of the Federation." And she owned it. Perfect delivery of the line; I just cracked up laughing the first time. :lol:
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

Burak Gazan
Jedi Council Member

Post by Burak Gazan »

Gary Graham was dead-on again as Soval, now THAT was a genius cast move.

The part where he says "an Andorian...associate once said, 'dont push the pinkskins onto the thin ice'.....It wasn't very eloquent, but the Klingons found it to be quite prophetic..."

Gee, I wonder who said that? :twisted:
"Of course, what would really happen is that in Game 7, with the Red Sox winning 20-0 in the 9th inning, with two outs and two strikes on the last Cubs batter, a previously unseen meteor would strike the earth, instantly and forever wiping out all life on the planet, and forever denying the Red Sox a World Series victory..."
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

I'm only seeing the Prelude to Axanar trailer, where are y'all seeing the rest of it?
Burak Gazan
Jedi Council Member

Post by Burak Gazan »

Axanar KickstarterPage

has it available
"Of course, what would really happen is that in Game 7, with the Red Sox winning 20-0 in the 9th inning, with two outs and two strikes on the last Cubs batter, a previously unseen meteor would strike the earth, instantly and forever wiping out all life on the planet, and forever denying the Red Sox a World Series victory..."
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

Okay, watched it. That was rather enjoyable. It's a very good approach for the movie, utilizing post-war interviews.
Burak Gazan
Jedi Council Member

Post by Burak Gazan »

Also looks like the guys working on it really get the whole picture, with good music as well as the rest. And love what they are doing. That very familiar little 4-note beat when they are panning down and we first see the Ares in spacedock, you knew you were in a familar place :)

And the ''new heavy cruiser'' :twisted:
Love how they seem to be smoothly working the ship types in.
I get the impression the director decided up-front to spike the space vikings, and return to the 'samurai warrior' type Klingons, and Kharn, who looks and acts a lot like a thought Admiral, brilliant
NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

Superior Moderator - BotB - HAB [Drill Instructor]-Writer- Stardestroyer.net's resident Star-God.
"We believe in the systematic understanding of the physical world through observation and experimentation, argument and debate and most of all freedom of will." ~ Stargate: The Ark of Truth
Burak Gazan
Jedi Council Member

Post by Burak Gazan »

They've just added Garrett Wang to the cast as the commander of the first D-7 to enter the war.
Imperial Overlord
Emperor's Hand

Post by Imperial Overlord »

Burak Gazan wrote: And the ''new heavy cruiser'' :twisted:
Love how they seem to be smoothly working the ship types in.
I get the impression the director decided up-front to spike the space vikings, and return to the 'samurai warrior' type Klingons, and Kharn, who looks and acts a lot like a thought Admiral, brilliant
They're taking liberally from the old FASA Star Trek RPG (several references in addition to the actual Four Years War and tying it to Axanar) and John M. Ford wrote the Klingons for their RPG. Tacticians and Thought Admirals are to be expected.
The Excellent Prismatic Spray. For when you absolutely, positively must kill a motherfucker. Accept no substitutions. Contact a magician of the later Aeons for details. Some conditions may apply.
gigabytelord
Padawan Learner

Post by gigabytelord »

Wow I just watched that and I thought it was amazing.

I have to admit I didn't know that the Feds and Kingons actually fought a real war. Much less a four year long one. I've always been under the impression that the conflict was more of a cold war type event that was fought through proxies and politics with small skirmishes here and there but never really evolving into a full fledged conflict. Seems I need to do some reading up on ST history.
Imperial Overlord
Emperor's Hand

Post by Imperial Overlord »

gigabytelord wrote:Wow I just watched that and I thought it was amazing.

I have to admit I didn't know that the Feds and Kingons actually fought a real war. Much less a four year long one. I've always been under the impression that the conflict was more of a cold war type event that was fought through proxies and politics with small skirmishes here and there but never really evolving into a full fledged conflict. Seems I need to do some reading up on ST history.
The Four Years War is from the FASA RPG. Canonically the Federation and the Klingon Empire have had conflicts but an actual shooting war is never confirmed or denied. Garth of Izar was Kirk's hero and saved the Federation from something by winning the Battle of Axanar. Since Axanar occurred too late to be part of the Earth-Romulan War and there is no one else active at that time we know of that's a military threat to the very existence of the Federation, you can understand why FASA decided it was probably the decisive battle in a hot war against the Klingons.
The Excellent Prismatic Spray. For when you absolutely, positively must kill a motherfucker. Accept no substitutions. Contact a magician of the later Aeons for details. Some conditions may apply.
gigabytelord
Padawan Learner

Post by gigabytelord »

Imperial Overlord wrote:The Four Years War is from the FASA RPG. Canonically the Federation and the Klingon Empire have had conflicts but an actual shooting war is never confirmed or denied. Garth of Izar was Kirk's hero and saved the Federation from something by winning the Battle of Axanar. Since Axanar occurred too late to be part of the Earth-Romulan War and there is no one else active at that time we know of that's a military threat to the very existence of the Federation, you can understand why FASA decided it was probably the decisive battle in a hot war against the Klingons.
I can't wait for more from them.

I wonder if we'll see something like this manifest in either one of the two canons. Perhaps not this film obviously because it's fan made but maybe some one will take notice and start something official?
Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Post by Borgholio »

I honestly would not mind more movies based in the TOS era that don't involve Kirk. I mean there's a whole galaxy out there, there have to be some interesting stories on other ships or with other crews.
You will be assimilated...bunghole!
Rogue 9

Post by Rogue 9 »

Their Kickstarter has closed with $638,471 in fundraising. Somehow I think they'll be fine.
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

How much did they need, total? Over 600k is quite a lot, but it is chump change for a special effects heavy film. Or will they try and do everything on the cheap and have enough?
Burak Gazan
Jedi Council Member

Post by Burak Gazan »

projected budget is 650k, so they are around 11.5k short of that; although I saw something earlier from Alex Peters that basically said they still sorting out totals, but one number was 657k. Hitting the mark is not going to be a problem I think