Matter-Antimatter Drives vs Singularity Drives

PST: discuss Star Trek without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Re: Matter-Antimatter Drives vs Singularity Drives

Post by Borgholio »

Well then what if we just say it's not an actual black hole? Since obviously if it were a black hole with a small enough mass to be portable, it would also explode fairly quickly which it doesn't do.
You will be assimilated...bunghole!
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

We have no fucking clue how the damned thing will behave because real worlds physics just went out the window?
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Post by Borgholio »

Batman wrote:We have no fucking clue how the damned thing will behave because real worlds physics just went out the window?
So in other words, welcome to Star Trek? :)
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

I think that pretty much covers it, yes :D
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Post by Eternal_Freedom »

Yeah we might as well say it's powered by magic pixie dust....

Hey wait a minute, that Romulan ship had tiny creatures living off of it's engine core...it really is magic pixie dust!
Baltar: "I don't want to miss a moment of the last Battlestar's destruction!"
Centurion: "Sir, I really think you should look at the other Battlestar."
Baltar: "What are you babbling about other...it's impossible!"
Centurion: "No. It is a Battlestar."

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Post by Borgholio »

Hey wait a minute, that Romulan ship had tiny creatures living off of it's engine core...it really is magic pixie dust!
So to stabilize the Romulan core, instead of doing a power transfer beam...maybe they should have just clapped their hands and thought happy thoughts?
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Probably would have worked better than the power transfer that blew up the Enterprise.

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Post by Borgholio »

I would have paid real money to see Worf try to revive Tinker Bell that way.
Ted C
Sith Marauder

Post by Ted C »

I suppose we can assume that because it's artificial, it has an unnaturally low mass and an unnaturally low decay rate, making it suitable for use as a ship's power supply. Quite possibly it requires a lot of special equipment running to keep it stable, making it no safer than a M-AM core.
"This is supposed to be a happy occasion... Let's not bicker and argue about who killed who."
-- The King of Swamp Castle, Monty Python and the Holy Grail

"Nothing of consequence happened today. " -- Diary of King George III, July 4, 1776

"This is not bad; this is a conspiracy to remove happiness from existence. It seeks to wrap its hedgehog hand around the still beating heart of the personification of good and squeeze until it is stilled."
-- Chuck Sonnenburg on Voyager's "Elogium"
Scottish Ninja
Jedi Knight

Post by Scottish Ninja »

Here's a quick thought - besides the exact issues of size and mass, assuming that something's going on as Ted C describes, if the rate of decay (and therefore power output) is inversely related to mass, what if to increase power output you decrease the fuel flow - with the limitation that you can't cut back the fuel for too long or by too much, otherwise the singularity will lose too much mass and explode. That'd be cool.
"If the flight succeeds, you swipe an absurd amount of prestige for a single mission. Heroes of the Zenobian Onion will literally rain upon you." - PeZook
"If the capsule explodes, heroes of the Zenobian Onion will still rain upon us. Literally!" - Shroom
Cosmonaut Ivan Ivanovich Ivanov (deceased, rain), Cosmonaut Petr Petrovich Petrov, Unnamed MASA Engineer, and Unnamed Zenobian Engineerski in Let's play: BARIS
Captain, MFS Robber Baron, PRFYNAFBTFC - "Absolute Corruption Powers Absolutely"
FedRebel
Jedi Master

Post by FedRebel »

Eternal_Freedom wrote:Yeah we might as well say it's powered by magic pixie dust....
Makes sense, most of Federation technology in the 24 century requires Harry Potter style "spells" (the nonsensical technobabble.) to function. and the made up units of measure (the casual misuse the prefix "iso") throw in that dash of mystical alchemy.
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Scottish Ninja wrote:Here's a quick thought - besides the exact issues of size and mass, assuming that something's going on as Ted C describes, if the rate of decay (and therefore power output) is inversely related to mass, what if to increase power output you decrease the fuel flow - with the limitation that you can't cut back the fuel for too long or by too much, otherwise the singularity will lose too much mass and explode. That'd be cool.
Whilst that would be a cool concept, unless the black hole is very massive (by starship standards) the rate of evaporation will be so high that to actually change it you'd need to feed it a lot of mass, by which I mean many thousands of tonnes. In which case, you might as well just use an ordinary (but we-ll designed) warp core, you'd have to use a lot less fuel.