Andorian biology question

PST: discuss Star Trek without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Andorian biology question

Post by Lord Revan »

Has there ever been any reference to andorians having more then the regular 2 genders in any serious context in canon trek or is that an invention of the EU material, I'm asking as all the material I've seen refering to andorian genders seem to assume the regular male/female split rather then something more exotic.
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Re: Andorian biology question

Post by Crazedwraith »

Lord Revan wrote:Has there ever been any reference to andorians having more then the regular 2 genders in any serious context in canon trek or is that an invention of the EU material, I'm asking as all the material I've seen refering to andorian genders seem to assume the regular male/female split rather then something more exotic.
I believe the Pocket Books went for them being a four gendered species because there's a throw away TNG reference about an andorian wedding requiring four people.

Pretty sure when they eventually turned up more in Enterprise this turned out not to be the case.
DaveJB
Jedi Council Member

Post by DaveJB »

Crazedwraith wrote:Pretty sure when they eventually turned up more in Enterprise this turned out not to be the case.
They did show that Shran had a daughter with the Aenar woman he met earlier in the season... though of course, that depends on whether you accept "These Are The Voyages" to be truthful and canon, or just some holographic forgery. :P
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

DaveJB wrote:
Crazedwraith wrote:Pretty sure when they eventually turned up more in Enterprise this turned out not to be the case.
They did show that Shran had a daughter with the Aenar woman he met earlier in the season... though of course, that depends on whether you accept "These Are The Voyages" to be truthful and canon, or just some holographic forgery. :P
either way that says very little in and off it's self as the Aenar are an Andorian subspecies but in the episodes of ENT I've seen there was no reference to more then 2 andorian genders.

so I guess I can throw that factoid away if I start writing stories about my STO feration captain.
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Prometheus Unbound
Jedi Master

Post by Prometheus Unbound »

it doesnt mean they have four genders, just that four are involved in a wedding - maybe their families sometimes have two wives and two husbands, or they hold joint weddings - we hold those today sometimes where two or more couples get married at the same time by the same priest.
NecronLord wrote:
Also, shorten your signature a couple of lines please.
lord Martiya
Jedi Master

Post by lord Martiya »

A Catholic wedding (the one I'm most familiar with) requires five people (priest, bride, groom, and a pair of witnesses), yet humans have two genders. I dare say the four Andorian genders are just another brain bug.
Alferd Packer
Sith Marauder

Post by Alferd Packer »

I always viewed it as a natural consequence of the harsh climate of Andor, as well as the species' low natural birthrate. The social structure would allow four adults to pool resources and have greater success raising offspring than two adults would on their own. Maybe all progeny are legally considered the natural offspring of all four adults, regardless of which two are the biological parents.
"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance--that principle is contempt prior to investigation." -Herbert Spencer

"Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain." - Schiller, Die Jungfrau von Orleans, III vi.
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

btw is the Moon(aka the Andorian homeworld) called Andor or Andoria in canon?
Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Post by Borgholio »

Lord Revan wrote:btw is the Moon(aka the Andorian homeworld) called Andor or Andoria in canon?
Andor.
You will be assimilated...bunghole!