On the Torpedo Yield Calculations from TNG: Pegasus

PST: discuss Star Trek without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Re: On the Torpedo Yield Calculations from TNG: Pegasus

Post by Eternal_Freedom »

There's a thought....the tractor beam is for pulling stuff towards you, it was a plot point in TNG's second episode that it would take weeks of re-wiring to make it repel things.
Baltar: "I don't want to miss a moment of the last Battlestar's destruction!"
Centurion: "Sir, I really think you should look at the other Battlestar."
Baltar: "What are you babbling about other...it's impossible!"
Centurion: "No. It is a Battlestar."

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Post by Borgholio »

Eternal_Freedom wrote:There's a thought....the tractor beam is for pulling stuff towards you, it was a plot point in TNG's second episode that it would take weeks of re-wiring to make it repel things.
Seemed to push the Bozeman away well enough, just not fast enough. I think they made the re-wiring permanent.
You will be assimilated...bunghole!
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Post by Eternal_Freedom »

It pushed them aside...then pulled the Bozeman in to hit the nacelle so it clearly wasn't just pushing.
Baltar: "I don't want to miss a moment of the last Battlestar's destruction!"
Centurion: "Sir, I really think you should look at the other Battlestar."
Baltar: "What are you babbling about other...it's impossible!"
Centurion: "No. It is a Battlestar."

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
Ted C
Sith Marauder

Post by Ted C »

Borgholio wrote:
Eternal_Freedom wrote:There's a thought....the tractor beam is for pulling stuff towards you, it was a plot point in TNG's second episode that it would take weeks of re-wiring to make it repel things.
Seemed to push the Bozeman away well enough, just not fast enough. I think they made the re-wiring permanent.
True, but Wesley also showed that it was perfectly possible to reverse the force of the tractor beam using just console commands. It wouldn't be much of a surprise for that function to be programmed in for later use. We see the beam used similarly in "The Battle" to stop the Stargazer.
"This is supposed to be a happy occasion... Let's not bicker and argue about who killed who."
-- The King of Swamp Castle, Monty Python and the Holy Grail

"Nothing of consequence happened today. " -- Diary of King George III, July 4, 1776

"This is not bad; this is a conspiracy to remove happiness from existence. It seeks to wrap its hedgehog hand around the still beating heart of the personification of good and squeeze until it is stilled."
-- Chuck Sonnenburg on Voyager's "Elogium"
Ted C
Sith Marauder

Post by Ted C »

That incident is just weird, anyway. The "temporal anomaly" disables the engines and shields, but the tractor beam (of all things) works normally? What is it about Federation technology that makes random components of the ship fail in any peculiar situation that comes along?

Yes, yes... it's the writers pulling drama out of their nether regions... I know.
"This is supposed to be a happy occasion... Let's not bicker and argue about who killed who."

"Nothing of consequence happened today. " -- Diary of King George III, July 4, 1776

"This is not bad; this is a conspiracy to remove happiness from existence. It seeks to wrap its hedgehog hand around the still beating heart of the personification of good and squeeze until it is stilled."
Tribble
Sith Devotee

Post by Tribble »

Well, we don't know for sure if the Bozeman was affected similarly, and either way IMO the tractor beam overrode whatever the Bozeman crew were doing enough to have caused the collision. It's more likely that without the tractor beam's interference the Bozeman was able to maneuver out of the way on its own, and the depressurization of the shuttlebay was just a reflexive need on the E-D crew's part to do something. Even if it was, in hindsight, something that was pretty much useless.

I wonder how many gold-shirts got flushed out with the atmosphere? Given it was an emergency and all that, and Data had no time to contact anyone before opening the doors :twisted:
"I reject your reality and substitute my own!" - The official Troll motto, as stated by Adam Savage
Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Post by Borgholio »

Add that to the list of things a Federation starship should have in emergencies. When impulse and warp reactors are down, basic chemical reaction thrusters to at least move you away from danger.
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

While I don't think they ever specify whether or not they're chemical, there's several mentions of maneuvering thrusters in Trek, and the E-D definitely has them in 'Booby Trap'.
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Post by Borgholio »

Batman wrote:While I don't think they ever specify whether or not they're chemical, there's several mentions of maneuvering thrusters in Trek, and the E-D definitely has them in 'Booby Trap'.
Yep, but they never think to use them to just coast slowly out of the area when they sense danger. They wait until the very end after they're about to succumb to radiation poisoning.
Ted C
Sith Marauder

Post by Ted C »

In "Booby Trap", you'd think they could have just found the shortest clear path out of the asteroid field early on and not needed to do any maneuvering. It's not like it was that dense.

Tribble
Sith Devotee

Post by Tribble »

You would also think that Picard would simply leave a warning buoy rather than blowing up the ship. I'm sure they could have figured out some way to get it.
"I reject your reality and substitute my own!" - The official Troll motto, as stated by Adam Savage
Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Post by Borgholio »

Yeah that ship was a historical relic. They could have sent in a small towing vessel with minimal power out put, latched on a few cables, and pulled it out.
Ted C
Sith Marauder

Post by Ted C »

It's rather silly that the derelict Promellian ship was still there, since they should have been able to escape easily using the same methods we've just given for the Enterprise.