Q Coming to the Alternate Reality's Comics

PST: discuss Star Trek without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

JME2
Emperor's Hand

Q Coming to the Alternate Reality's Comics

Post by JME2 »

From Newsarama

On one hand, I was hoping the comics would avoid any major crossovers with the Prime Reality beyond Spock Prime's occasional appearances.

On the other hand, I won't deny it's going to be fun seeing how Kirk-A and company deal with Q.

This also gives them an opportunity to do something that's not possible with live-action -- to have deLancie 'reprise' the role of Q. It's not really possible given he's too old now.

Hell, they may even use Q as meta commentary on what's changed. :)
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Re: Q Coming to the Alternate Reality's Comics

Post by FaxModem1 »

So, who do you think will be more immature, Q or Kirk?
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

Heh.
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

I'm actually quite serious here. Q is best when breaking the pride or misconceptions of others, but that relies on the people he's messing with to actually try and talk things out. Kirk-A may be many things, but patient and reasonable are not what comes to mind when I think of him. It would be out of character for him to be able to out think his way out of whatever scenario he gets into.

However, if they have Q going against Spock, they can certainly have some fun aping the Nimoy-De Lancie riffs from their audio dramas.
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

Spock Prime may very well be the Prime Reality character they're alluding to -- the one who tries to convince Q to leave the Alternate Reality alone.

And it would work since 'our' Spock is from the 2480's -- and is well aware of Q's existence at this point thanks to Picard's encounters.
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

I think Q would find Pine-Kirk boring.
It would be funny though if he commented on him being a poor man's Riker. :lol:
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
"Mostly Harmless Nutcase"
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

Havok wrote:I think Q would find Pine-Kirk boring.
It would be funny though if he commented on him being a poor man's Riker. :lol:
And it would be equally hilarious because Kirk-A would have no idea who the hell Q's talking about. :)
Tribble
Sith Devotee

Post by Tribble »

Hmmmmm. Well, they will probably use Q for witty banter and antics. But if they decide to have him play the serious role, what would it be? I could see the writers having him do something like offering Spock Prime / New Spock the opportunity to undo the destruction of Vulcan. And for whatever reason they ultimately refuse to take him up on it.
"I reject your reality and substitute my own!" - The official Troll motto, as stated by Adam Savage
PREDATOR490
Jedi Council Member

Post by PREDATOR490 »

This would be the best chance to send Old Spock back to his own reality and let NuTrek stand alone. Naturally this wont happen because then we cant have stupid cameos that achieve fuck all.
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

FaxModem1 wrote:I'm actually quite serious here. Q is best when breaking the pride or misconceptions of others, but that relies on the people he's messing with to actually try and talk things out. Kirk-A may be many things, but patient and reasonable are not what comes to mind when I think of him. It would be out of character for him to be able to out think his way out of whatever scenario he gets into.
On the other hand, Kirk-A got some actual character growth in the second movie; there's some room for optimism that the artists intend this trend to continue. Q might actually manage to teach him a lesson.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
ZOmegaZ
Youngling

Post by ZOmegaZ »

So is this Q, or Q-A? I'd tend to assume he'd be aware of all alternate timelines...
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

ZOmegaZ wrote:So is this Q, or Q-A? I'd tend to assume he'd be aware of all alternate timelines...
Interesting question.
Based on All Good Things... Q would seem to exist outside the effects of changing timelines. Unless however AGT was just a little micro-verse Q created just for Picard.

Well... wait... no. AGT is just one timeline being effected by the causality that Picard enacted. Q is just showing Picard the effects of what he did in the past based on current events.

So it doesn't really show Q being unaffected, just that what Picard did really only affected Earth. It also only really proves that Q is aware of all possibilities in his timeline.

As the new timeline is completely different all the way around, I would go so far as to say it's actually an alternate dimension/universe that is running parallel to ours ( I think I have said this before) like the mirror universe is. That would make this Q-B as Q-A would exist in the first alternate dimension discovered.

I also would suspect that Q-B wouldn't take kindly to Q coming in and mucking around in their sandbox.

However as that totally negates the "OMG WOULDN'T T BE KEWLBEANS IF Q CAME AND MESSED WITH THE NEW KIRK?>!?!111" It's obviously going to be Q.
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
"Mostly Harmless Nutcase"