The Best of Trek- Voyager

PST: discuss Star Trek without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

TheHammer
Jedi Master

Re: The Best of Trek- Voyager

Post by TheHammer »

I still to this day don't know why they created the "Tom Paris" character, when they already had a better one in Nicolas Locarno who was already established with a very similar (and I'd argue superior) back story. Especially when they'd already gone ahead and hired the actor who played him. Would have been a nice bridge of continuity from TNG.
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Post by Eternal_Freedom »

I would imagine it has something to do with avoiding paying royalties to the "First Duty" writers for every single Voyager episode. Which would get quite pricey I suspect.

Go and see Chuck's review of The First Duty. He goes into this question in some detail.
Baltar: "I don't want to miss a moment of the last Battlestar's destruction!"
Centurion: "Sir, I really think you should look at the other Battlestar."
Baltar: "What are you babbling about other...it's impossible!"
Centurion: "No. It is a Battlestar."

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
Prometheus Unbound
Jedi Master

Post by Prometheus Unbound »

Eternal_Freedom wrote:I would imagine it has something to do with avoiding paying royalties to the "First Duty" writers for every single Voyager episode. Which would get quite pricey I suspect.

Go and see Chuck's review of The First Duty. He goes into this question in some detail.
Yeah, it was that. They'd have had to pay royalties every time his character was on screen or mentioned in the show (or other shows). Or computer games, books, interactive stuff - not a lot, but with 176 episodes and all the books, audio books and merchandising (lunch boxes, models, etc), you're probably talking several hundred thousand or even possibly millions of dollars.

From a "Paramount" business point of view, I do understand the decision. From a story point of view, it was a bit silly.

They did originally intend for him to be Nick Locarno. It wasn't the Voyager production crew's fault / idea to change it.
NecronLord wrote:
Also, shorten your signature a couple of lines please.
Nephtys
Sith Acolyte

Post by Nephtys »

I actually really liked that episode where The Doctor is revived 700 years in the future from a backup, to find that Voyager's encounter with his people was a holocaust-like experience, where historical revisionists made Janeway and Crew into war criminals. It was a fun exercise in a case where what happens in a 'normal' Voyager episode got reinterpereted into something way different.

That must have been fun for the cast. Mulgrew taking off her sinister black gloves and going "Violence. It's the Starfleet Way."
Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Post by Borgholio »

Nephtys wrote:I actually really liked that episode where The Doctor is revived 700 years in the future from a backup, to find that Voyager's encounter with his people was a holocaust-like experience, where historical revisionists made Janeway and Crew into war criminals. It was a fun exercise in a case where what happens in a 'normal' Voyager episode got reinterpereted into something way different.

That must have been fun for the cast. Mulgrew taking off her sinister black gloves and going "Violence. It's the Starfleet Way."
That was a fun one actually.

"Computer, begin the Borg activation sequence."

"7 of 9 to the bridge, two of the Kyrians are still alive, what shall we do with them?"

"Well you've been wanting to expand your force...assimilate them."

"We understand."
You will be assimilated...bunghole!
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

Nephtys wrote:That must have been fun for the cast. Mulgrew taking off her sinister black gloves and going "Violence. It's the Starfleet Way."
I imagine this is how everyone felt during "Bride of Chaotica!". I know Mulgrew loved going over the top.
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

" I don't know how to tell you this..."(shoots Chaotica with ray gun)"but the wedding's off!"

- Janeway as Queen Arachnia to Dr. Chaotica :lol:
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

FaxModem1 wrote:I nominate a lot of the Hirogen arc, from 'Message in a Bottle', 'Hunter' and 'Prey', each one with a focus and more revelations on who exactly the Hirogen are, as well as reestablishing contact with the Alpha Quadrant, the revelation of the Maquis death and Starfleet finding out that Voyager survived.

Hunter shows just exactly how creepy and different the Hirogen are, with their Predator like trophies and living for the hunt.

And then finally, 'Prey', where we see S8472/Undine being hunted by Hirogen, while in the side plot Seven vs Janeway on how to treat the prisoner and the quality of mercy.

And then they end the whole arc on the blockbuster 'The Killing Game', with everything but the kitchen sink thrown in. You got Nazis, World War II, aliens, explosions, Klingons, and the French Resistance all going against each other over the holodeck. A truly epic way to end the aliens we met in Message in a Bottle.
I do like the Season 7 follow-up, "Flesh and Blood", in that it was one of the few instances that VOY explored the consequences of the characters' past actions.