Kurn and 'softness'

PST: discuss Star Trek without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Kurn and 'softness'

Post by FaxModem1 »

In TNG, Worf meets his brother Kurn, and is accused of living a soft life, with Federation comforts and Starfleet standards, as compared to a Klingon life. Years later, Kurn states the same thing in DS9 with Worf on in Starfleet as compared to Kurn. Here's my problem with that, Worf, on a cushy Starfleet ship or not, is an officer aboard a military ship/station while Kurn is the head/acting head of a Klingon house. It really doesn't matter how Spartan the Klingons act, being the head of a noble house is going to be more comfortable and pleasurable than being a security or tactical officer.

Am I incorrect, or is Kurn just showing his anti-UFP bias show?

EDIT: Darn autocorrect kept on changing my words on me.
Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Re: Kurn and 'softness'

Post by Borgholio »

It has been stated by other Klingons that the Federation is weak and soft. They point to such things as the Federation uniform (pajamas) vs Klingon battle armor, the soft "Human-style" beds as opposed to a steel bench, holodecks, "dead" food, etc...

I think he's referring to that. Otherwise yeah, it'd make sense that the head of a noble house (Lord of a Castle), would have an easier life than a military officer stationed in the ass-end of nowhere.
You will be assimilated...bunghole!
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

Them having to sleep on steel plates in (completely useless as actual armour) battle armour would go a long way towards explainig why TNG+ Klingons are always cranky.
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
tim31
Sith Devotee

Post by tim31 »

I've always subscribed to the notion that they were putting on the dog for Picard and just simply removed the mattress from the bunk.
lol, opsec doesn't apply to fanfiction. -Aaron

PRFYNAFBTFC
CAPTAIN OF MFS SAMMY HAGAR
ImageImage
Ted C
Sith Marauder

Post by Ted C »

Seeing as how Starfleet personnel tend to give at least as good as they get whenever a fight breaks out with Klingons, they really don't have much room to talk.
"This is supposed to be a happy occasion... Let's not bicker and argue about who killed who."
-- The King of Swamp Castle, Monty Python and the Holy Grail

"Nothing of consequence happened today. " -- Diary of King George III, July 4, 1776

"This is not bad; this is a conspiracy to remove happiness from existence. It seeks to wrap its hedgehog hand around the still beating heart of the personification of good and squeeze until it is stilled."
-- Chuck Sonnenburg on Voyager's "Elogium"
Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Post by Borgholio »

Seeing as how Starfleet personnel tend to give at least as good as they get whenever a fight breaks out with Klingons, they really don't have much room to talk.
Only because the Klingons fight like fucking morons.
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Post by Eternal_Freedom »

Borgholio wrote:
Only because the Klingons fight like fucking morons.
Then they really shouldn't look down on everyone else should they?
Baltar: "I don't want to miss a moment of the last Battlestar's destruction!"
Centurion: "Sir, I really think you should look at the other Battlestar."
Baltar: "What are you babbling about other...it's impossible!"
Centurion: "No. It is a Battlestar."

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Post by Borgholio »

Well they ARE more competent than, say, the Jem Hadar or the Borg.
StarSword
Jedi Knight

Post by StarSword »

Borgholio wrote:
Well they ARE more competent than, say, the Jem Hadar or the Borg.
Borg certainly, but in ground combat the Jems are more likely than the Klingons to stay back and use guns instead of randomly charging in with a sword. (Not much more likely, but...)
Star Carrier by Ian Douglas: Analysis and Talkback

The Vortex Empire: I think the real question is obviously how a supervolcano eruption wiping out vast swathes of the country would affect the 2016 election.
Borgholio: The GOP would blame Obama and use the subsequent nuclear winter to debunk global warming.
Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Post by Borgholio »

Borg certainly, but in ground combat the Jems are more likely than the Klingons to stay back and use guns instead of randomly charging in with a sword. (Not much more likely, but...)
Meh, I think the Jems are a bit worse. We see them charging at the Feds repeatedly and engaging in hand-to-hand combat. Then there's the fact they seem to prefer ship ramming attacks more than normal weapons...
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

In fairness to the Jem Hadar regarding ramming attacks...we see them do it only when their massively outnumbered/outgunned, in "The Jem Hadar" against the USS Odyssey and against the Klingons in "Tears of the Prophets" and "What you leave behind." (That's OTOH). So they make a decision "Ok, we can do more damage by ramming them than by shooting them for the brief time before we're blasted apart."

When they're on even footing they do just shoot and do quite well, mostly.

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Post by Borgholio »

About the Odyssey, it always seemed to me like she was getting her ass handed to her and the Jems just rammed her to prove a point. Been awhile since I've seen the episode though.
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

True. In that case though, sending a powerful message was worth more than one ship. It's not that they resort to ramming at the drop of a hat, but it they think that's the best way to hurt the enemy, then they do it.

Prometheus Unbound
Jedi Master

Post by Prometheus Unbound »

The Jem'Hadar:

"We were retreating. There was no need for a suicide run!"
"They're showing us how far they're willing to go."

That was to prove a point.

Tears and Behind were both when they were about to lose the fight anyway.
NecronLord wrote:
Also, shorten your signature a couple of lines please.
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

It's just bullshit posturing. Kern knows damn well that a slab of metal or a mattress doesn't make a difference in a warrior.

This type of thing is present in every competing society. It's even prevalent down through one societies military ranks. It's like Marines dissing the Army or Navy and vice versa. It's like British Royal Marines giving a go at U.S. Marines.

Kern is just a real dick about it and Worf is just an overly sensitive, over compensating baby about it.
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
"Mostly Harmless Nutcase"