A Question on the Phoenix

PST: discuss Star Trek without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

Prometheus Unbound
Jedi Master

Re: A Question on the Phoenix

Post by Prometheus Unbound »

Batman wrote:Err-no, fission it is
Could be fusion.

either way, it's not anti-matter. Not really important.

and as we've known since the Romulans made their debut in TOS that Warp doesn't require M/AM I completely fail to see the problem with that?
There isn't one? I didn't say there was?

what?
NecronLord wrote:
Also, shorten your signature a couple of lines please.
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

Prometheus Unbound wrote:
Batman wrote:Err-no, fission it is
Could be fusion.
No it couldn't given their alleged fuel source is a nuclear warhead which means fissionables which are kinda useless for a fusion plant.
and as we've known since the Romulans made their debut in TOS that Warp doesn't require M/AM I completely fail to see the problem with that?
There isn't one? I didn't say there was?
what?
Some people in this thread seem to feel they have to shoehorn M/AM into the Phoenix's workings somehow when the bleeping original series says you don't even need it for everyday use Warp drive, leave alone what may very well have been a one-shot prototype. I'm sorry if that came across as if it were directed at you.
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Post by Borgholio »

No it couldn't given their alleged fuel source is a nuclear warhead which means fissionables which are kinda useless for a fusion plant.
Plus, that runs into the same problem as antimatter. Would the tech base of the world in 2063 after WW3 be high enough to support a self-sustaining fusion reactor small enough to fit in an ICBM?
You will be assimilated...bunghole!
tim31
Sith Devotee

Post by tim31 »

We know that the ship was recovered and preserved, since Picard mentions having seen it in the Smithsonian.
lol, opsec doesn't apply to fanfiction. -Aaron

PRFYNAFBTFC
CAPTAIN OF MFS SAMMY HAGAR
ImageImage
Lord MJ
Jedi Council Member

Post by Lord MJ »

I seem to recall Arik Soong mentioning that the first starships were "Nuclear Powered" or some such.

I don't remember the exact quote. But seems to me definitive that the Phoenix did not have anti-matter.
Prometheus Unbound
Jedi Master

Post by Prometheus Unbound »

Lord MJ wrote:I seem to recall Arik Soong mentioning that the first starships were "Nuclear Powered" or some such.

I don't remember the exact quote. But seems to me definitive that the Phoenix did not have anti-matter.
"And yet the first ships to colonize the solar system were nuclear-powered."

That could well be sub-light since it's within our solar system.

I agree with you, but I'm not sure that quote would prove anything either way, unfortunately.
NecronLord wrote:
Also, shorten your signature a couple of lines please.
StarSword
Jedi Knight

Post by StarSword »

Prometheus Unbound wrote:
Lord MJ wrote:I seem to recall Arik Soong mentioning that the first starships were "Nuclear Powered" or some such.

"And yet the first ships to colonize the solar system were nuclear-powered."

That could well be sub-light since it's within our solar system.

I agree with you, but I'm not sure that quote would prove anything either way, unfortunately.
Most likely sublight. Most space probes that head for the outer solar system use nuclear batteries because the sunlight's too weak for photovoltaics that far out.
Star Carrier by Ian Douglas: Analysis and Talkback

The Vortex Empire: I think the real question is obviously how a supervolcano eruption wiping out vast swathes of the country would affect the 2016 election.
Borgholio: The GOP would blame Obama and use the subsequent nuclear winter to debunk global warming.
amigocabal
Jedi Knight

Post by amigocabal »

Eternal_Freedom wrote:That's pretty much what I suspected. This came about because I watched Apollo 13 again tonight and it got me thinking. I was wondering if there was any definite answer. Of course, that begs the question of how he planned to make another flight, where he'd get another Titan-V (I think that's what it was supposed to be, it's actually a training version of a Titan-II) or equivalent launcher. Granted he'd need a smaller rocket if he's only launching his command module but still.

That brings me to another question. Who exactly was he hoping to sell the design to? Most people seemed concerned solely with survival at this point, since "most of the major cities have been destroyed, very few governments left." Strikes me as a mighty strange idea to try to market in such a world.
The key words are "most" and "few". Cochrane could reasonably believe that the few governments left could buy the design, or even one of the industries in the few cities left. (Not to argue he was right; if he had been wrong, he would have become bankrupt absent the arrival of the Vulcans.)

(Also, if I remember correctly, First Contact took place a decade after the war, so there would have been plenty of rebuilding, especially near natural harbors.)
InsaneTD
Jedi Knight

Post by InsaneTD »

That was on TV here last night, and yeah, they kept saying ten years a lot.
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Post by Eternal_Freedom »

Yes, there could have been rebuilding, yes there could have been governments or industries still operating. But we never see that in the film (or the book), it's just "dollar signs, money, that's all I want." Although,given that the book states that he's bipolar and been off his meds for ten years, the idea that he hasn't actually thought it through makes a lot of sense.

Also, I have no idea why saying there'd be rebuilding around natural harbours is relevant, given Cochrane was in Montana.
Baltar: "I don't want to miss a moment of the last Battlestar's destruction!"
Centurion: "Sir, I really think you should look at the other Battlestar."
Baltar: "What are you babbling about other...it's impossible!"
Centurion: "No. It is a Battlestar."

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.