Two new movies and no nerd books/guides.

PST: discuss Star Trek without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

Knife
Emperor's Hand

Two new movies and no nerd books/guides.

Post by Knife »

I'm a little curious. After two new movies there doesn't seem to be a lot of 'incredible cross section' or 'inside the world of' books or internet activity as I would have assumed? Why not? I would love a new 'Mr Scott's guide to the new Enterprise'. Am I just missing this or what?
They say, "the tree of liberty must be watered with the blood of tyrants and patriots." I suppose it never occurred to them that they are the tyrants, not the patriots. Those weapons are not being used to fight some kind of tyranny; they are bringing them to an event where people are getting together to talk. -Mike Wong

But as far as board culture in general, I do think that young male overaggression is a contributing factor to the general atmosphere of hostility. It's not SOS and the Mess throwing hand grenades all over the forum- Red
TOSDOC
Padawan Learner
Location: Rotating between Redshirt Hospital and the Stormtrooper School of Marksmanship.

Re: Two new movies and no nerd books/guides.

Post by TOSDOC »

I have to admit, I'd have trouble looking at a Mr. Scott's guide for the new films without seeing the fucking brewery instead.
"In the long run, however, there can be no excuse for any individual not knowing what it is possible for him to know. Why shouldn't he?" --Elliot Grosvenor, Voyage of the Space Beagle
Darth Quorthon
Jedi Knight

Post by Darth Quorthon »

Not sure how relevant it is, but I remember reading this a while back.
Still, Jeff Gomez, CEO of the transmedia consulting firm Starlight Runner Entertainment, says there could have been so many more lucrative tie-ins. He contends that the rebooted franchise has enormous potential outside the multiplex.

"Right now the 'Star Trek' movies are movies," Gomez said. "There is no apparent ongoing transmedia strategy behind them, just a handful of licensing opportunities around the release of 'Into Darkness.'
"For the first few weeks of rehearsal, we tend to sound like a really, really bad Rush tribute band." -Alex Lifeson

"See, we plan ahead, that way we don't do anything right now." - Valentine McKee

"Next time you're gonna be a bit higher!" -General from Birani

"A cynic is a man who, when he smells flowers, looks around for a coffin." - H. L. Mencken

He who creates shields by fire - Rotting Christ, Lex Talionis
tim31
Sith Devotee

Post by tim31 »

They're catering to a different market these days.
lol, opsec doesn't apply to fanfiction. -Aaron

PRFYNAFBTFC
CAPTAIN OF MFS SAMMY HAGAR
ImageImage
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

It took freaking forever for Mr Scott's Guide to the Enterprise to come out and the TNG Tech Manual was essentially useless. Heck the ICS's didn't happen until the prequel trilogy and that was with about a quarter of a century of background. So far there's two movies the technology used within I very much suspect we put a lot more thought towards than the people who actually did the movies.
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
Prometheus Unbound
Jedi Master

Post by Prometheus Unbound »

and that's why no one cares.
NecronLord wrote:
Also, shorten your signature a couple of lines please.
Bob the Gunslinger
Has not forgotten the face of his father

Post by Bob the Gunslinger »

They're still putting out quality nerd books based on the old timeline.

Bird of Prey Owner's Manual
"Gunslinger indeed. Quick draw, Bob. Quick draw." --Count Chocula

"Unquestionably, Dr. Who is MUCH lighter in tone than WH40K. But then, I could argue the entirety of WWII was much lighter in tone than WH40K." --Broomstick

"This is ridiculous. I look like the Games Workshop version of a Jedi Knight." --Harry Dresden, Changes

"Like...are we canonical?" --Aaron Dembski-Bowden to Dan Abnett
aussiemuscle308
Padawan Learner

Post by aussiemuscle308 »

tim31 wrote:They're catering to a different market these days.
yeah, that's what happens when you make trek appeal to a wider audience. you alienate your core fans. I like the 'nu-trek' movies, but i don't consider them 'real trek' (whatever that means).
========================================
If you believe in Telekinesis, raise my hand.
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

Given the quality of traditional Trek post-DS9, nuTrek doesn't look that bad. Yeah, the first movie seriously stunk, but so did The Motionless Picture and TFF. I went into the reboot expecting to hate it and 'Into Darkness' turned out to be a not only thoroughly enjoyable but a definitely Star Trek movie.
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'