What happens when a world joins the UFP?

PST: discuss Star Trek without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Re: What happens when a world joins the UFP?

Post by FaxModem1 »

Havok wrote:With Bajor, we see them supply the Bajorans with supplies, infrastructure for rebuilding, security, etc. They were about to join the Federation in season 5, but Sisko told them, as the emissary, to join after the Dominion War, so they wouldnt be curbstomped by the Dominion. How are they being a 'bunch of cocks' about it?

Because the Federation could have fixed Bajor in a fucking year. I mean they were fighting over some ground cleaning machines in like season 4 or 5 IIRC still. I get the whole "you need to do it yourself" thing, but it's not like the Bajorans fucked their own world up like Humans did, they were occupied and devastated by the Cardassians. For over 50 years.

They could have had SF engineers on point, they could have let them into the Federation and then helped them rebuild at a snails pace. No, it wasn't until the wormhole was discovered that the Federation even fucking cared about Bajor enough to send out more than a fucking commander that didn't even want to be in Starfleet anymore and apparently like 5 engineers to fix Terak Noir.
Starfleet and the Federation were doing all they could, without violating Bajor's sovereignty. The Bajoran Provisional government was barely keeping together for the first couple years, if Starfleet came in, the Bajorans would view that as being just like the Cardassians all over again.

From the first episode:
Kira"I don't believe the Federation has any business being here!"
Sisko"The Provisional Government disagrees with you..."
Kira"The Provisional Government and I don't agree on a lot of things, which is probably why they sent me to this godforsaken place! I have been fighting...for Bajoran independence, since I was old enough to pick up a phaser...we finally drive the Cardassians out, and what do our new leaders do?! They call up the Federation and invite them right in!"
Sisko"The Federation is only here to he..."
Kira"Help us...Yes, I know - the Cardassians said the same thing 60 years ago!"
If the Federation came in full force with their Engineers, the Bajorans would think they were Cardassians 2.0. Starfleet only came in at Bajor's insistence, and did it gradually so people like Kira would get used to the idea of having non-Bajorans around who weren't going to kill them. Like Lord MJ said, the Bajorans had a civil war barely a year after the Cardassians left. If Starfleet had enforced the Provisional Government over the Circle, how do you think the populace would have taken that? The Bajorans were helped in pretty much every need possible, with medicine(as Bashir went planetside any time there was word of a plague.), with power(as they helped the Provisional government set up power plants, even by rendering a moon uninhabitable in the process so Kira had to kick off three people.)

The soil reclamators are actually Bajoran inventions, and it was the Bajoran Agricultural Ministry who were distributing them.