Stark Trek Into Darkness *SPOILERS*

PST: discuss Star Trek without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

TimothyC
Of Sector 2814

Re: Stark Trek Into Darkness *SPOILERS*

Post by TimothyC »

Enigma wrote:He was militant too as Colonel Green in Enterprise.
No, he was the human-supremisist John Fredrick Paxton, leader of the Terrorist organization Terra Prime, and owner of the Orpheus Mining Colony.

There is a video of Green (who was a WW3 era character) playing in the background of one of the scenes however.
"I believe in the future. It is wonderful because it stands on what has been achieved." - Sergei Korolev
Enigma
is a laughing fool.

Post by Enigma »

Oopsies, sorry.
ASVS('97)/SDN('03)

"Whilst human alchemists refer to the combustion triangle, some of their orcish counterparts see it as more of a hexagon: heat, fuel, air, laughter, screaming, fun." Dawn of the Dragons

ASSCRAVATS!
Lilgreenman
Redshirt

Post by Lilgreenman »

I think that Admiral Marcus was the worst character in the film. Nothing against Peter Weller, who does what he can, but the entirety of his performance flip-flops between BRIAN BLESSED and J.K. Simmons (who I think would have been a better actor for the role), and he doesn't have any real credibility for his point of view, especially in his last big speech before Khanberbatch gratifyingly crushes his head like an egg.
"Thus I, Wall, hath my role discharged so,
And, being done, thus Wall away doth go."
Enigma
is a laughing fool.

Post by Enigma »

Well, according to Memory Alpha, Weller wasn't a fan of ST nor the sci-fi genre.
ASVS('97)/SDN('03)

"Whilst human alchemists refer to the combustion triangle, some of their orcish counterparts see it as more of a hexagon: heat, fuel, air, laughter, screaming, fun." Dawn of the Dragons

ASSCRAVATS!
ArmorPierce
Rabid Monkey
Location: Born and raised in Brooklyn, unfornately presently in Jersey

Post by ArmorPierce »

Surlethe wrote:I really enjoyed the movie. J.J. Abrams really knows how to handle outer space -- he makes the "Star" in Star Trek super fucking beautiful. Khan was the best character, trailed closely by Spock; I want to echo CC and Valdemar that this movie was about Khan versus Spock, down to the fight scene at the end. I would have liked more foreshadowing about this, including somehow a reminder that Vulcans are alien. Spock is faster, stronger, and smarter than humans; he was the only character in the movie capable of posing a serious challenge to Khan. Not reminding audiences of this diminishes Khan's villainy.
Yeah I do agree on that assessment. I was watching some youtube video 'reviews' and some of the reviews commented on how kirk's punch did nothing to khan versus spock as if it was some sort of mistake in the movie continuity or that it was some sort of revelation that spock is supposed to be far stronger than a human.
Brotherhood of the Monkey @( !.! )@
To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the gift. ~Steve Prefontaine
Aoccdrnig to rscheearch at an Elingsh uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht frist and lsat ltteer are in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a toatl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae we do not raed ervey lteter by it slef but the wrod as a wlohe.
Darth Quorthon
Jedi Knight

Post by Darth Quorthon »

I finally saw the movie today, and I enjoyed it. I had a few minor nitpicks, but overall I thought it was a good Trek movie.

I was a little disappointed that we saw so little of the Klingons, but I get it, and hopefully they'll get their own movie next time around.

Also, I wonder if it was a nod to TOS at the end when Spock broke off that metal plate and used it to club Khan, similar to the club Kirk used on Khan in the final fight in Space Seed.
"For the first few weeks of rehearsal, we tend to sound like a really, really bad Rush tribute band." -Alex Lifeson

"See, we plan ahead, that way we don't do anything right now." - Valentine McKee

"Next time you're gonna be a bit higher!" -General from Birani

"A cynic is a man who, when he smells flowers, looks around for a coffin." - H. L. Mencken

He who creates shields by fire - Rotting Christ, Lex Talionis
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

So I saw it tonight.
I have never liked a movie while simultaneously rolling my eyes at it as much as this one.

Initially I was pleased with the feel of the movie, but then the way they took away the Enterprise from Kirk just to kill Pike so he could have it back and give him a motive for revenge seemed really forced.

The big grandiose close up of Harrison when he meets Mickey is so awkward. It's like that Abrams thinks he is continuing on from TOS like the original movies did with the same actors. There was no power to the closeup zoom in and and scary music because you have no fucking clue who this guy is. It's like, "Hey, I can save your clearly terminally ill child" CUE VILLAINOUS CUES!!! Like, what? :lol:
IF these movies had a TV show backing them up and we already knew who Kahn was it would have been a cool reveal moment. As it was, it just says here is the villain because of evil look and villainous music.

It was nice to see Spock do Spocky Vulcan things that they always just talked about in other movies.

Speaking of Spock... what the hell was the point of having Nimoy cameo? He does absolutely zero to help the plot, story or characters out. I think he was honestly put in just to make the silly faces when Spock asks him about Kahn.

The relationship between Spock and Uhura is nice as are the moments between Spock and Kirk. You can see the growth of their friendship as well as the characters, which in a 4 hour setting is a good accomplishment considering the original pair had 79 episodes.

Unfortunately none of the other characters have experienced any growth. McCoy, Scott, Chekov and Sulu are pretty much the exact same characters as the last movie and actually, Kirk and Uhura pretty much are as well. Only Spock seems to have experienced any emotional changes and character growth. Again though, 4 hours Vs 79+.

I really liked what they did with the Klingons on the individual level right up until the one guy took his helmet off. I just don't like the character/species design. I dug the Predator vibe they had though. They still had the batleths but the way they used them in conjunction with their disruptors in CQB was cool.

Big picture, the Klingons didn't make much sense. An Empire capable of fighting and defeating the Federation and Starfleet and the Enterprise can get within viewscreen distance of their home world? So much for needing to cheat on the Kobayashi-Maru test since you can just fly a ship right down into Klingon homeworld airspace without so much as a hail. Clearly the solution was just "be sneaky". :roll:

Keeping on with the "doesn't make sense" theme... New Vulcan? Awfully sentimental for a race that cherishes logic and lack of emotion above all else.

Chekov could miraculously lock onto moving targets for transport and now he can't. Maybe it only works vertically?

Hey Scotty, did Starfleet take the transwarp equation from your head too? Not that it was technically yours since you got it from Spock, but gosh if you can lock onto Harrison to shoot fucking stealth torpedoes at him and send him a pinpoint accurate transmission that no one else could pick up, why exactly couldn't they just lock the transporter onto him with Scotty's forgotten transwarp equation?

Why couldn't they just literally drop the fucking ice bomb in the volcano? :lol:

As to what did make sense, Starfleet finding Kahn actually had a plausible explanation.
The militaristic slant that Starfleet seemed to take after the Kelvin and Vulcan.
Kirk getting the boot for violating the Prime Directive, although it never happened in TOS, TNG, DS9 or Voyager. :lol:

One thing I think they are going to regret is making distances so short/warp so fast.

Anyway, despite all that, I liked the movie. Quinto is excellent as Spock. (Nimoy from TOS isn't nearly as bad as people seem to remember) Pine seemed to lose some of the Shatnerness of Kirk this time around which I actually didn't like, but he was still pretty good. The characters are what is driving the goodness of the rebbot for me and I am pleased.
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
"Mostly Harmless Nutcase"
Alferd Packer
Sith Marauder

Post by Alferd Packer »

One callback I would've liked to have seen would've been Spock resigning his commission to Doctor McCoy and passing command on to, say, Sulu, Amok Time-style, only to have a rejuvenated Kirk come out. A completely jubilant Spock grabbing Kirk by the shoulders and shouting "Jim!" would've been awesome. I understand that it wouldn't have worked as things played out in the movie, but it still would've been a great way to show that Spock and Kirk were now equally invested in their bromance.
"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance--that principle is contempt prior to investigation." -Herbert Spencer

"Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain." - Schiller, Die Jungfrau von Orleans, III vi.
chitoryu12
Jedi Council Member

Post by chitoryu12 »

open_sketchbook wrote:I think that might be a reality of a universe that is only seen through film, though; they don't have the luxury of being able to do quiet, introspective episodes of puttering through space. Pacing, especially action movie pacing, has it's demands.

I gotta echo the love for the warp chase scene. I winced at every impact.
That's exactly it. The original series had 79 episodes. That's literally days of content for plot development. A movie has 2 hours, and you can't really exceed that by too much without being forced to chop a lot of stuff or make it into two movies because very few people will spend 3 or 4 hours sitting still watching a movie. Whereas a TV season can take 12 hours to gradually expand on everything, a movie has 2 hours to get everything out. Especially since even with the most successful films, you're never guaranteed a sequel or spinoff unless the deal was already made before filming ever began.
I was a little disappointed that we saw so little of the Klingons, but I get it, and hopefully they'll get their own movie next time around.
I'm willing to bet that's exactly what we're getting. The Klingons got shafted in the first film with the scenes being deleted (though there was still very little content with them, mainly existing to set up the plot of the cold war). This film sets the two galactic states up as on the brink of war, with the intentional incitation of a war being the driving plot point. The logical continuation for the third film is for a war to actually begin.

I mean, look at what we know from the film. A shuttle of apparent smugglers shows up asking for permission to take a human criminal into custody. Suddenly, a guy in a hooded robe dual-wielding heavy military gear (which looks quite Federation in style) shows up and both he and the "smugglers" start blasting every Klingon in sight, including downing at least one gunship. Every Klingon in the area is dead or in retreat, and the group of definitely non-Klingons runs off. They may or may not have noticed the Enterprise and Vengeance shortly before they warped out, since we don't get any information stating that they definitely DIDN'T.

All either side needs right now is an excuse to start a war. Even if the disguised Enterprise crew and Harrison really had nothing to do with the Federation, it would be trivially easy to blame it on them. Open the third film with a sneak attack on a major Federation starbase, and now you've got a big war to set the plot on.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

I don't know why you think that people will have problems with a three hour movie. The success of The Lord of the Rings disproves that.
Kuja
The Dark Messenger

Post by Kuja »

I'm willing to bet that's exactly what we're getting. The Klingons got shafted in the first film with the scenes being deleted (though there was still very little content with them, mainly existing to set up the plot of the cold war). This film sets the two galactic states up as on the brink of war, with the intentional incitation of a war being the driving plot point. The logical continuation for the third film is for a war to actually begin.
I doubt it. Much ado was made at the end of STID about the Enterprise finally departing on its destined 5-year voyage. So we've been baited with a big-screen movie of nuTrek finally trying its hand at oldTrek's "to seek out new life and new civilizations." Skipping that, or prematurely ending it in the first ten minutes of the movie for the sake of THERE IS ONLY WAR would just be stupid.

I really don't think the production crew on the nuTrek movies actually cares about the Klingons beyond Treknerd fanservice and using them as an excuse for "woo flashy lights! blam! blam!" Both of which they can wring out of Star Trek 3 without using Klingons.
JADAFETWA
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!
Location: Hell. In The Room Right Next to Reagan. He's Fucking Bonzo. No, wait... Bonzo's fucking HIM.

Post by Flagg »

Kuja wrote:
I doubt it. Much ado was made at the end of STID about the Enterprise finally departing on its destined 5-year voyage. So we've been baited with a big-screen movie of nuTrek finally trying its hand at oldTrek's "to seek out new life and new civilizations." Skipping that, or prematurely ending it in the first ten minutes of the movie for the sake of THERE IS ONLY WAR would just be stupid.

I really don't think the production crew on the nuTrek movies actually cares about the Klingons beyond Treknerd fanservice and using them as an excuse for "woo flashy lights! blam! blam!" Both of which they can wring out of Star Trek 3 without using Klingons.
It depends on whether they can pull off the Organians. I don't think they will go the war route simply because STID was very much an anti war film. That said I'd love to see the Klingons in an even more adversarial role, maybe targeting Kirk for invading their homeland. You can have Klingon adversaries without them being in a full scale war.
We pissing our pants yet?
-Negan

You got your shittin' pants on? Because you’re about to
Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
does; he who cannot, teaches.
-George Bernard Shaw
Kuja
The Dark Messenger

Post by Kuja »

I'd rather not see Klingons, actually, just becuase I'd like to see this reboot live up to its premise and do new shit. ST09, for all its logicfaults and Chris Pine living up to being as interesting as his name was at least trying to do some new stuff and shake things up - blow up Vulcan, crazy Romulan miner dudes, put Spock and Uhura together. STID just sort of craps itself watching TWOK, herping derps over teasing James/Carol romance and fondling the Klingons a little bit.

You know what I'd love to see them try, even though it will never happen in a million years, is for Star Trek 3 to be three to three and a half hours and feature two or three 40-50 minute stories about the Enterprise encountering weird shit out in the galaxy with 5-10 minute intermissions. Essentially, do several big-budget commercial-less Star Trek episodes. You could fit a lot of eye candy and light character stuff into something like that, although you wouldn't get something as heavy as, say, TUC. But the nuTrek writers aren't interested in doing TUC anyway, they want flashy bitz and zany antics. A Star Trek anthology-type movie would be perfect for zany antics and flashy bitz. Budget aside, it's not like we really got more out of STID than we would out of a decent Star Trek episode anyway.
JADAFETWA
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

No, we are getting Klingons. They could have had Harrison go to any planet and have the exact same setup, have it actually make sense that there was zero fucking realistic response from Kronos and call it Gritorgan, home of the warrior like, but not warp capable Gritorgs. No, no, we got Klingons because we are getting Christopher Walken/Plummer (take your pick) in the next movie.

P.S. The Klingons in this movie cement, for me at least, that this isn't an alternate timeline, but an actual alternate dimension and that the prime timeline was unaffected by Nero and Spock.
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!
Location: Hell. In The Room Right Next to Reagan. He's Fucking Bonzo. No, wait... Bonzo's fucking HIM.

Post by Flagg »

Havok wrote:No, we are getting Klingons. They could have had Harrison go to any planet and have the exact same setup, have it actually make sense that there was zero fucking realistic response from Kronos and call it Gritorgan, home of the warrior like, but not warp capable Gritorgs. No, no, we got Klingons because we are getting Christopher Walken/Plummer (take your pick) in the next movie.

P.S. The Klingons in this movie cement, for me at least, that this isn't an alternate timeline, but an actual alternate dimension and that the prime timeline was unaffected by Nero and Spock.
It's the Enterprise timeline, altered by the Borg in First Contact, IMO.
We pissing our pants yet?
-Negan

You got your shittin' pants on? Because you’re about to
Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
does; he who cannot, teaches.
-George Bernard Shaw
Gaidin
Sith Devotee

Post by Gaidin »

Kuja wrote: You know what I'd love to see them try, even though it will never happen in a million years, is for Star Trek 3 to be three to three and a half hours and feature two or three 40-50 minute stories about the Enterprise encountering weird shit out in the galaxy with 5-10 minute intermissions. Essentially, do several big-budget commercial-less Star Trek episodes. You could fit a lot of eye candy and light character stuff into something like that, although you wouldn't get something as heavy as, say, TUC. But the nuTrek writers aren't interested in doing TUC anyway, they want flashy bitz and zany antics. A Star Trek anthology-type movie would be perfect for zany antics and flashy bitz. Budget aside, it's not like we really got more out of STID than we would out of a decent Star Trek episode anyway.
Not that this wasn't a light TUC combined with a light WOK anyway. The behavior of the corrupt Admiral matches the behavior of the corrupt flag officers of the old TUC to a T.
Kuja
The Dark Messenger

Post by Kuja »

When I said TUC, I meant a movie like TUC- slow burn, character focused, atmosphere building with action used to heighten the tension rather than carry the movie, saving the major fight scene for the climax of the film.

STID is TUC/TWOK through the lens of a sugar fiend - gosh-golly-whiz-bang-woo-woo-flashy-zap-wacky hijinks! Scotty sneaks into a super-duper-secret hangar by cutting some guy off on the off-ramp. Admiral Robocop comes cruising after the Enterprise in his giant doom barge of doom and blows holes in the Enterprise. And then, and then, they save the ship like in TWOK but this time it's Kirk on the inside instead of Spock!

STID doesn't have the time or the inclination to set up somebody like David Warner as Gorkon, or even Chang. The closest we get is Admiral Robocop and Khanberbatch announcing his name is "Khhaaaannn" in what has to be competing for the silliest introduction of all time.

Modern ST wants zany antics, flashy bitz, and some cheap bad guys...so let's go get some of those. Let's have the Enterprise chasing down a pirate vessel that looted a Federation outpost - make the pirates Ferengi if you want to pander to the oldTrek crowd. Cool ship to ship action! Naval combat! Boading parties! Have the Enterprise run into world where the aliens are essentially The Thing, copying the away team and attempting to replace them. High stakes tension! Who is the real Kirk? Have the Enterprise encounter a damaged sister vessel, with the crew gone except that we can still occasionally hear their voices while onboard. Turns out the ship was investigating a strange alien object. Spooky! Mysterious!

Let's see nuTrek actually embrace it's cheesified flashbang roots instead of ham-fistedly trying to be deep and being laughable at it. Flashy bitz and one-liners are pretty much universally agreed upon as the strengths of the nuTrek movies, so let's see them push that further.
JADAFETWA
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

P.S. I meant Christopher Lloyd, not Walken.

Although Walken would make a fucking AWESOME Klingon. :lol:
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Flagg wrote:
Havok wrote:No, we are getting Klingons. They could have had Harrison go to any planet and have the exact same setup, have it actually make sense that there was zero fucking realistic response from Kronos and call it Gritorgan, home of the warrior like, but not warp capable Gritorgs. No, no, we got Klingons because we are getting Christopher Walken/Plummer (take your pick) in the next movie.

It's the Enterprise timeline, altered by the Borg in First Contact, IMO.
Enterprise has been clearly established as the TOS/TNG timeline.
The fact that the Klingons have a completely different look not only as a species but their uniforms and such, this is obviously a different dimension in the Trek Universe.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
Gaidin
Sith Devotee

Post by Gaidin »

Kuja wrote:When I said TUC, I meant a movie like TUC- slow burn, character focused, atmosphere building with action used to heighten the tension rather than carry the movie, saving the major fight scene for the climax of the film.

<snip not really interested in criticism of popcorn parts of movie>

Modern ST wants zany antics, flashy bitz, and some cheap bad guys...so let's go get some of those. Let's have the Enterprise chasing down a pirate vessel that looted a Federation outpost - make the pirates Ferengi if you want to pander to the oldTrek crowd. Cool ship to ship action! Naval combat! Boading parties! Have the Enterprise run into world where the aliens are essentially The Thing, copying the away team and attempting to replace them. High stakes tension! Who is the real Kirk? Have the Enterprise encounter a damaged sister vessel, with the crew gone except that we can still occasionally hear their voices while onboard. Turns out the ship was investigating a strange alien object. Spooky! Mysterious!

Let's see nuTrek actually embrace it's cheesified flashbang roots instead of ham-fistedly trying to be deep and being laughable at it. Flashy bitz and one-liners are pretty much universally agreed upon as the strengths of the nuTrek movies, so let's see them push that further.
Age is your problem. Age of the crew. You still very much have a crew that is only two movies out of training. Kirk is only just now learning what it is to be a ship captain. This is a role people retire in. You're asking for a movie that depends on aged actors and characters to carry it at a slow burn and cook the tension of the film that way. What we've got, what the series started with is a young set of officers still in training that is forced into the field by circumstances. What you're guaranteed to get from the start and for the first few movies until the characters age into the type of roles you want is a very fast, very direct style, even now that Kirk's figured himself out. It's possible he could be comparable to the Captain we saw in the tv series(the other characters are already where they need to be), but he's not the Admiral of the movies. He's still a young character, even if he isn't as hot-headed as he started out as.
ray245
Emperor's Hand

Post by ray245 »

Gaidin wrote:Age is your problem. Age of the crew. You still very much have a crew that is only two movies out of training. Kirk is only just now learning what it is to be a ship captain. This is a role people retire in. You're asking for a movie that depends on aged actors and characters to carry it at a slow burn and cook the tension of the film that way. What we've got, what the series started with is a young set of officers still in training that is forced into the field by circumstances. What you're guaranteed to get from the start and for the first few movies until the characters age into the type of roles you want is a very fast, very direct style, even now that Kirk's figured himself out. It's possible he could be comparable to the Captain we saw in the tv series(the other characters are already where they need to be), but he's not the Admiral of the movies. He's still a young character, even if he isn't as hot-headed as he started out as.
So how many movies do we need before Kirk can finally evolve out being a rookie?
Humans are such funny creatures. We are selfish about selflessness, yet we can love something so much that we can hate something.
Gaidin
Sith Devotee

Post by Gaidin »

I think I said there that I guessed you'd possibly have the Captain of the series but not the Admiral of the movies.
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

ray245 wrote:So how many movies do we need before Kirk can finally evolve out being a rookie?
How long until your expectations actually match the movies and aren't set on some other movies that aren't related? :lol: Since Kirk in the movies was largely sad or slow and confused, I don't look forward to this period.
Justice
Youngling

Post by Justice »

chitoryu12 wrote:
open_sketchbook wrote:I think that might be a reality of a universe that is only seen through film, though; they don't have the luxury of being able to do quiet, introspective episodes of puttering through space. Pacing, especially action movie pacing, has it's demands.

I gotta echo the love for the warp chase scene. I winced at every impact.
That's exactly it. The original series had 79 episodes. That's literally days of content for plot development. A movie has 2 hours, and you can't really exceed that by too much without being forced to chop a lot of stuff or make it into two movies because very few people will spend 3 or 4 hours sitting still watching a movie. Whereas a TV season can take 12 hours to gradually expand on everything, a movie has 2 hours to get everything out. Especially since even with the most successful films, you're never guaranteed a sequel or spinoff unless the deal was already made before filming ever began.
Screw Lord of the Rings, people will watch Transformers for two and a half hours. Wrath of Khan and The Undiscovered Country are less than two hours, but still pace themselves well with quiet moments. All the action scenes aren't necessary (Off the top of my head, I'd say Khan's gunship attack and the Klingon chase/Khan killing Klingons to prove how badass he is could be cut down a bit and/or removed in some way.) and even some characters are completely unnecessary: You could completely remove Carol Marcus from the movie and replace her one point of importance with Chekov (The torpedo disarming scene) and the movie would not change a bit. In fact, giving Anton Yelchin some time with the rest of the cast instead of running around smoke-filled rooms in goggles would be a huge improvement.

I'm not asking for it to be TMP, but slow down and show a little bit of contemplation. Have Kirk do a Captain's Log where he discusses his conflict a bit. Don't be afraid to let these actors get to ponder big issues for minute because they've proved they can play the parts. Don't let Quinto hog all the thoughtful moments.
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

saw the film today and correct me if I'm wrong but do the Klingons now default to their disruptors as combat weapons and using melee weapons only at close range?
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n