Stark Trek Into Darkness *SPOILERS*

PST: discuss Star Trek without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

Admiral Valdemar
Outside Context Problem

Stark Trek Into Darkness *SPOILERS*

Post by Admiral Valdemar »

I presume this is the right forum or it...

Anyway, just got back from seeing it. And wow. That was fun. I'm still digesting it, but I ponder, as with Iron Man 3, a split with the fans here. There are aspects of this that I can only imagine will either make people squee or get frustrated. When I've got more time, I'll give more detail. Suffice to say, I was happy with the direction they took this film and the references to the original universe Spock came from (i.e. the TOS universal timeline) and the subverting of a certain famous scene.

Also, Benedict Cumberbuns plays a devilish villain, though through creative editing of the trailer, a lot of things pan out differently. I'm sure people noticed that it isn't the Big E smashing into SF.

Eh, more coherent thoughts when I'm collected. I think it's worth seeing at the IMAX for sure. Avoid 3D, as always.
Enigma
is a laughing fool.

Re: Stark Trek Into Darkness *SPOILERS*

Post by Enigma »

Everything is pretty much explained in the other thread. :) Forget what I wrote. Derp.
ASVS('97)/SDN('03)

"Whilst human alchemists refer to the combustion triangle, some of their orcish counterparts see it as more of a hexagon: heat, fuel, air, laughter, screaming, fun." Dawn of the Dragons

ASSCRAVATS!
Jon
Jedi Council Member

Post by Jon »

So, how far from Earth is Kronos? Because the Federation now possesses the technology, in a device that can be carried in a duffel bag, to beam directly between those two planets? Also, in the time it took Carol to run from sickbay to the Bridge, the Enterprise traversed the entire distance between the Klingon Neutral Zone (from which Kronos is apparently clearly visible?) and Earth?
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

Remember in the first movie where they can transport over FTL distances? Should they have just forgotten?
Jon
Jedi Council Member

Post by Jon »

Not at all, I just thought those worlds were a significant distance apart but now point to point beaming between them is achievable with a small device and a starship can apparently get there in minutes- there is no cut in the sequence between the Enterprise jumping to warp to escape the Vengeance whilst Carol goes from Sickbay to the Bridge and it drops out of warp over Earth's moon.
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

I don't know if you noticed, but this movie is not in the old continuity. When you learn something, you should accept it, and not say BUT BUT BUT THE ENCYCLOPEDIA.

The first movie also suggested the trip to Vulcan was absurdly short (especially compared to the trip to Lorentz) and so this tells us about the shape of the Federation. It's not a problem until they fuck it up.
DaveJB
Jedi Council Member

Post by DaveJB »

Jon wrote:So, how far from Earth is Kronos?
Can't be that far, since Archer's Enterprise was able to make the trip from Earth to Kronos in the space of just a few days with a much slower warp drive.
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Post by Eternal_Freedom »

I thoroughly enjoyed that. Having heard the rumours and the speculation and so on I was expecting to be dissapointed but I was not. Great fun, well paced I think and Cumberbatch makes an excellent villain.
Baltar: "I don't want to miss a moment of the last Battlestar's destruction!"
Centurion: "Sir, I really think you should look at the other Battlestar."
Baltar: "What are you babbling about other...it's impossible!"
Centurion: "No. It is a Battlestar."

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

DaveJB wrote:
Jon wrote:So, how far from Earth is Kronos?
Can't be that far, since Archer's Enterprise was able to make the trip from Earth to Kronos in the space of just a few days with a much slower warp drive.
You really don't want to go there even in the old continuity. Trust me.
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

At least in the new stuff its because the ships are just really fast and not because the old continuity was a giant steaming pile of shit spagetti.
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

You're right. That should have been 'especially' in the old continuity.
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
Dark Primus
Jedi Master

Post by Dark Primus »

Don't also forget the warp chart seems to contradict itself in TNG and onwards in every episode. In TOS the warp seemed to be more faster, or at least gave the impression the warp speeds in that time covered far greater distances in shorter amount of time. And new Trek seems to hang closer to TOS warp speeds.
EAT SHIT AND DIE! - Because I say so

"Me Grimlock Badass" -Grimlock
Batman
Emperor's Hand

Post by Batman »

Faster, at least in this particular context, means being able to cover a distance in less time by default, you know.
charlemagne
Jedi Knight

Post by charlemagne »

Saw it yesterday, liked it quite a bit. Minor annoyances include the lensflares, and plot wise I thought the old "there's no other ships around at all" trope was pretty stupid, especially when you consider the insane warp speeds. Overall, the turns and twists work, even if some of them are foreshadowed heavily. I liked how familiar elements where subverted.

I guess the next movie will take place after the 5 year mission and they'll be able to drop the "Kirk isn't ready" angle.
Prometheus Unbound
Jedi Master

Post by Prometheus Unbound »

This "no ships in range" thing - could it be a result of Starfleet being destroyed in the last film?
NecronLord wrote:
Also, shorten your signature a couple of lines please.
charlemagne
Jedi Knight

Post by charlemagne »

Yeah ok, it still seemed weird that they're close enough to earth to get pulled in and there's just no other ship, maybe not even Starfleet, that would show up worrying about the slugfest. Maybe Admiral Marcus made everyone stand down or something. Still seemed weird to me.

This is nothing I got worked up about, though.
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

'Starfleet' wasn't destroyed in 2009; half a dozen ships were. The rest of the fleet was off somewhere outside the plot (apparently engaging in battle or detente with the Klingons).

Sorry, after nearly fifty years complaining that Star Trek is about this ship called Enterprise that saves the day is just a joke in itself. At least this wasn't as ridiculous as 'Enterprise goes into nebula and doesn't come out; Starfleet unconcerned'.
Vanas
Jedi Council Member

Post by Vanas »

Spacedock seemed pretty busy at the start, I quite liked that there were a number of ships around. I'm assuming that the head of Starfleet might well have the authority to send them away from Earth while he's swanning around in his giant secret doom ship.

But, yeah, I greatly enjoyed the movie. We see Asshole Kirk actually get chewed out for being a reckless idiot at the start, which was a plus, and good pair of villains. Still some criminal under-use of Karl Urban though, his McCoy remains a highpoint.
According to wikipedia, "the Mohorovičić discontinuity is the boundary between the Earth's crust and the mantle."
According to Starbound, it's a problem solvable with enough combat drugs to turn you into the Incredible Hulk.
Lusankya
ChiCom

Post by Lusankya »

I thought the movie was rubbish.

The music especially kept on dragging me right out of the film. It was like instead of creating actual drama tension, they'd just show Benedict Cumberbatch's face and then do the "bad guy" music. The cold opening was just an exercise in tedium despite being all actiony, because the movie hasn't bothered to give us any reason to care about what these people were and why they were doing it (and no, "he's Captain Kirk" isn't a good enough reason, especially considering the first movie made him out to be a jackass). And the plot "twists" were less twists and more clearly signposted curves. Also, it's wrong to kill people, but it's ok to put them in cryosleep indefinitely? How is that any different?

I enjoyed the redshirt jokes, everything Scotty and Kirk's death scene was well done, if a bit trite and hideously cheapened by the whole resurrection thing.

Overall, I had more sympathy for the villain than for any of the other characters, and I spent the first half of the movie wishing that the movie would end with Benedict Cumberbatch killing J.J. Abrams. I still think that would have made a better movie.
"I would say that the above post is off-topic, except that I'm not sure what the topic of this thread is, and I don't think anybody else is sure either."
- Darth Wong
Free Durian - Last updated 27 Dec
"Why does it look like you are in China or something?" - havokeff
Batman
Emperor's Hand

Post by Batman »

Ouch. And here I thought the first reboot movie was bad.
Lusankya
ChiCom

Post by Lusankya »

Stark wrote:What do you expect with no Chris Hemsworth?!
There was no Chris Hemsworth in Iron Man 3, but I still would have preferred spending another $20 watching that again to watching Star Trek.
"I would say that the above post is off-topic, except that I'm not sure what the topic of this thread is, and I don't think anybody else is sure either."
- Darth Wong
Free Durian - Last updated 27 Dec
"Why does it look like you are in China or something?" - havokeff
mr friendly guy
The Doctor
Location: In a 1960s police telephone box somewhere in Australia

Post by mr friendly guy »

I am going to say that I enjoyed this one. But then I ignored all the rumours about it so it increased the chances I wouldn't try and second guess the plot, and simply let it unfold.

Even the "why couldn't they just beam that weapon onto Kronos if they can beam a man from Earth to Kronos?" didn't bother me that much.
Never apologise for being a geek, because they won't apologise to you for being an arsehole. John Barrowman - 22 June 2014 Perth Supernova.

Countries I have been to - 14.
Australia, Canada, China, Colombia, Denmark, Ecuador, Finland, Germany, Malaysia, Netherlands, Norway, Singapore, Sweden, USA.
Always on the lookout for more nice places to visit.
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Post by Eternal_Freedom »

Even the "why couldn't they just beam that weapon onto Kronos if they can beam a man from Earth to Kronos?" didn't bother me that much.
Since I'm in such a mood, I would speculate that the order to Kirk to fire the weapons from Enterprise rather than beaming them in was a conscious choice by Admiral Marcus to get Kirk accustomed to the idea of cold-blooded killing and bombarding Klingon worlds. Marcus mentions (he was quoting Pike I think) that Kirk is one of their best and he'd undoubtably want Kirk on the front lines in his desired war.

Or that transport gizmo was a Section 31 prototype that Harrison made one-use-only deliberately in order to avoid this problem.
Baltar: "I don't want to miss a moment of the last Battlestar's destruction!"
Centurion: "Sir, I really think you should look at the other Battlestar."
Baltar: "What are you babbling about other...it's impossible!"
Centurion: "No. It is a Battlestar."

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
ray245
Emperor's Hand

Post by ray245 »

Lusankya wrote:I thought the movie was rubbish.

The music especially kept on dragging me right out of the film. It was like instead of creating actual drama tension, they'd just show Benedict Cumberbatch's face and then do the "bad guy" music. The cold opening was just an exercise in tedium despite being all actiony, because the movie hasn't bothered to give us any reason to care about what these people were and why they were doing it (and no, "he's Captain Kirk" isn't a good enough reason, especially considering the first movie made him out to be a jackass). And the plot "twists" were less twists and more clearly signposted curves. Also, it's wrong to kill people, but it's ok to put them in cryosleep indefinitely? How is that any different?

I enjoyed the redshirt jokes, everything Scotty and Kirk's death scene was well done, if a bit trite and hideously cheapened by the whole resurrection thing.

Overall, I had more sympathy for the villain than for any of the other characters, and I spent the first half of the movie wishing that the movie would end with Benedict Cumberbatch killing J.J. Abrams. I still think that would have made a better movie.
This really sums up my feelings about the movie. The trailers really gave me an expectation that the movie will have so much more to offer in terms of drama and emotions. I still have no idea why they decided to call this film as Star Trek Into darkness.
Humans are such funny creatures. We are selfish about selflessness, yet we can love something so much that we can hate something.