Chuck Lives Here

PST: discuss Star Trek without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

Ahriman238
Sith Marauder

Re: Chuck Lives Here

Post by Ahriman238 »

Well none of the E-D crew remembered or learned a damn thing from Yesterday's Enterprise. But it wasn't for them, it was to show us, the audience, the E-C and how awesome and important they were. And to get Denise Crosby a cameo back on the show (and set up her doing so again as Sela.) And it did those things very well.
"Any plan which requires the direct intervention of any deity to work can be assumed to be a very poor one."- Newbiespud
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

None of the crew of the E-D learned a damn thing from 'All Good Things', possibly excepting Picard learning to be more sociable. Out of universe reasons for lack of in universe consequences don't render 'Yesterday's Enterprise' an any less well done reset button episode, so why Chuck went 'All good Things' rather than 'Yesterday's Enterprise' is a valid question. Personally I think 'because it was the end of the damned series you blithering idiot' is a perfectly acceptable answer, mind you, but that's an emotional one, so everybody, including Chuck, is entitled to disagree.
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
DrMckay
Jedi Master

Post by DrMckay »

I just wanted to thank Chuck for doing these reviews every week. They're genuinely funny, heartfelt and thought-provoking. It really gives me something to look forward to each week, and the idea for Harry Kim being the only one to remember the "Year of Hell" was a good one.
"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself. Guard your honor. Let your reputation fall where it will. And outlive the bastards."
~Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
AO3 Link | FFN Link
Eframepilot
Jedi Master

Post by Eframepilot »

Batman wrote:None of the crew of the E-D learned a damn thing from 'All Good Things', possibly excepting Picard learning to be more sociable. Out of universe reasons for lack of in universe consequences don't render 'Yesterday's Enterprise' an any less well done reset button episode, so why Chuck went 'All good Things' rather than 'Yesterday's Enterprise' is a valid question. Personally I think 'because it was the end of the damned series you blithering idiot' is a perfectly acceptable answer, mind you, but that's an emotional one, so everybody, including Chuck, is entitled to disagree.
"Yesterday's Enterprise" isn't a reset button episode, it's an alternate universe episode. It has virtually nothing to do with our crew of main characters, who are spontaneously erased from existence in the opening moments and return at the very end. But it is still effective despite its detachment from continuity.
Enigma
is a laughing fool.

Post by Enigma »

Eframepilot wrote:
Batman wrote:None of the crew of the E-D learned a damn thing from 'All Good Things', possibly excepting Picard learning to be more sociable. Out of universe reasons for lack of in universe consequences don't render 'Yesterday's Enterprise' an any less well done reset button episode, so why Chuck went 'All good Things' rather than 'Yesterday's Enterprise' is a valid question. Personally I think 'because it was the end of the damned series you blithering idiot' is a perfectly acceptable answer, mind you, but that's an emotional one, so everybody, including Chuck, is entitled to disagree.
"Yesterday's Enterprise" isn't a reset button episode, it's an alternate universe episode. It has virtually nothing to do with our crew of main characters, who are spontaneously erased from existence in the opening moments and return at the very end. But it is still effective despite its detachment from continuity.
But its effects did affect the main time line.
ASVS('97)/SDN('03)

"Whilst human alchemists refer to the combustion triangle, some of their orcish counterparts see it as more of a hexagon: heat, fuel, air, laughter, screaming, fun." Dawn of the Dragons

ASSCRAVATS!
Alyeska
Federation Ambassador

Post by Alyeska »

Both All Good Things and Yesterdays Enterprise impact the main timeline. Alternate Tasha gave birth to Sela. And that left significant ripples which caused the Romulans to scheme against the Federation more than once. Picard got a taste of the future and with that told his friends what had happened. That knowledge alone had such a great impact that this future never remotely came to pass.

Year of Hell, all knowledge and consequences completely forgotten. It never happened and will never impact anything.
"If the facts are on your side, pound on the facts. If the law is on your side, pound on the law. If neither is on your side, pound on the table."

"The captain claimed our people violated a 4,000 year old treaty forbidding us to develop hyperspace technology. Extermination of our planet was the consequence. The subject did not survive interrogation."
Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

Don't see this mentioned, and I know it's not Star Trek, but Chuck did reviews on the TV movie adaptation of Terry Pratchett's "Hogfather". It is one of his best works as of late, IMHO.
”A Radical is a man with both feet planted firmly in the air.” – Franklin Delano Roosevelt

"No folly is more costly than the folly of intolerant idealism." - Sir Winston L. S. Churchill, Princips Britannia

American Conservatism is about the exercise of personal responsibility without state interference in the lives of the citizenry..... unless, of course, it involves using the bludgeon of state power to suppress things Conservatives do not like.

DONALD J. TRUMP IS A SEDITIOUS TRAITOR AND MUST BE IMPEACHED
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

Profit and Lace

This christmas Chuck has given as a four part review. Four parts for one episode. That's basically an audio commentary....
Ahriman238
Sith Marauder

Post by Ahriman238 »

Timeless up. All scores being relative to their series, Chuck gives this one a ten. So at or damn near the pinnacle for Voyager. It was good to see LeVar Burton as Geordi.

Of course, Chuck's also put up a Stargate (movie) review with a promise to do some SG-1 later this year, another Farscape review and reupped Persistence of Vision.
"Any plan which requires the direct intervention of any deity to work can be assumed to be a very poor one."- Newbiespud
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

Very curious to see his take on SG-1 and the Gate-verse.
Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

Chuck has put up the first parts of Legend of Korra, including a video on The Promise to show how it sets up Korra.
”A Radical is a man with both feet planted firmly in the air.” – Franklin Delano Roosevelt

"No folly is more costly than the folly of intolerant idealism." - Sir Winston L. S. Churchill, Princips Britannia

American Conservatism is about the exercise of personal responsibility without state interference in the lives of the citizenry..... unless, of course, it involves using the bludgeon of state power to suppress things Conservatives do not like.

Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

This is Pure Trek dude :P Should we have A Korra thread in fantasy?

Regardless, I have recently watched all of Avatar and Korra. Recenty after watch Chuck's ATLA reviews. And I actually think I enjoy Korra alot more than Avatar in places. Though the ending is totally rushed.
Spoiler
Especially Korra losing and regaining her powers
Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

Well, when I saw "Chuck Lives Here" I figured it wouldn't be too off-topic to post the reviews Chuck has made?

Ahriman238
Sith Marauder

Post by Ahriman238 »

Steve wrote:Well, when I saw "Chuck Lives Here" I figured it wouldn't be too off-topic to post the reviews Chuck has made?
There is a certain inelegance to doing a new thread for every video outside of Trek. Of course, we used to have a new thread for every video period.

I just added to the existing thread for his review of Avatar in Fantasy.
Grumman
Jedi Council Member

Post by Grumman »

JME2 wrote:Very curious to see his take on SG-1 and the Gate-verse.
So am I. No doubt Children of the Gods will come first to introduce the series, but hopefully he'll have a look at a few from once it hit its stride.
Ahriman238
Sith Marauder

Post by Ahriman238 »

Skin of Evil and accompanying video discussing Tasha Yar's death are up.

Never thought about it that way, a nameless black redshirt crashes Shuttle 13 on a planet with a monster of the week that kills for fun, and lives. While a main cast member dies. Something feels profoundly unnatural about that. Now I want to know what became of that man. Unfortunately I think he's the guy who dies in 'Where Silence has Lease.'
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

Grumman wrote:
JME2 wrote:Very curious to see his take on SG-1 and the Gate-verse.
So am I. No doubt Children of the Gods will come first to introduce the series, but hopefully he'll have a look at a few from once it hit its stride.
I'm curious if he'll review the broadcast version or the Final Cut.
Darksider
Sith Acolyte

Post by Darksider »

Wasn't "final cut" just a half-assed re-do so they could edit out the EEEVIL nudie scene?
And this is why you don't watch anything produced by Ronald D. Moore after he had his brain surgically removed and replaced with a bag of elephant semen.-Gramzamber, on why Caprica sucks
Ahriman238
Sith Marauder

Post by Ahriman238 »

Darksider wrote:Wasn't "final cut" just a half-assed re-do so they could edit out the EEEVIL nudie scene?
B- But that was the best part! :mrgreen:

I think they redid some of the special effects. I remember the staff blasts looking thinner and faster.
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

The director's cut also trimmed out a lot of fat, keeping the action moving.

Perhaps the best part is that if does a better job foreshadowing Teal'c's disgust with Apophis and his eventual turn.
Ahriman238
Sith Marauder

Post by Ahriman238 »

Today Chuck celebrates the 5th anniversary of his show by re-doing his very first video review: Voyager Emanations. Mind the seizure inducing opening montage.
Ahriman238
Sith Marauder

Post by Ahriman238 »

Missed the Edit window. There's also a random, yet funny clip show Here.
Ahriman238
Sith Marauder

Post by Ahriman238 »

Yesterday's Enterprise is up.

Interesting in how it relates to Chuck's last video, DW Inferno.
Ahriman238
Sith Marauder

Post by Ahriman238 »

OVEG Counterpoint is up.
Ahriman238
Sith Marauder

Post by Ahriman238 »

Re-upped the Game, now with discussion of video game addiction and Portal 2 reference.