OTOS- Balance of Terror

PST: discuss Star Trek without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

Ahriman238
Sith Marauder

OTOS- Balance of Terror

Post by Ahriman238 »

Here you go.

An old favorite TOS episode. I was impressed with the comparisons to classic sub movies, along with his (too brief) explanation of the difference between taking inspiration and running with it, and just ripping something off.

I'm a bit surprised he didn't mention the 'phasers as depth charges' even though I count it slightly below everyone whispering lest the Romulans hear them.
"Any plan which requires the direct intervention of any deity to work can be assumed to be a very poor one."- Newbiespud
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Re: OTOS- Balance of Terror

Post by Lord Revan »

Well depeding on how phasers work it might possible to have work as proximity charges (that or dissmiss it as gaffe and assume they meant torps). After all know next to nothing about how phasers actually funtion, while we do know that sound does not carry in space (and nothing in most of Star Trek does imply that this would be different in it)
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
Captain Seafort
Jedi Council Member

Post by Captain Seafort »

Ahriman238 wrote:I count it slightly below everyone whispering lest the Romulans hear them.
The whispering is stupid, but I think Chuck describing the Romulans on the next set hearing them because Spock made too much noise is taking the mockery a bit too far - he was feeling about on his console and hit a switch. Sure, this then produced a loud alarm, but the most likely explanation is that he hit active sensors.
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

Still one of my favorite TOS episodes -- and one of the most important in the entire franchise as it gave us the Neutral Zone, the cloaking device, and the Romulans.
Ted C
Sith Marauder

Post by Ted C »

Captain Seafort wrote:The whispering is stupid, but I think Chuck describing the Romulans on the next set hearing them because Spock made too much noise is taking the mockery a bit too far - he was feeling about on his console and hit a switch. Sure, this then produced a loud alarm, but the most likely explanation is that he hit active sensors.
I always thought of the whispering as psychological. It doesn't really make any difference, but they do it because they know that they're hiding from the enemy. The "giveaway" was Spock accidentally turning on an active scanner, giving away their position.
"This is supposed to be a happy occasion... Let's not bicker and argue about who killed who."
-- The King of Swamp Castle, Monty Python and the Holy Grail

"Nothing of consequence happened today. " -- Diary of King George III, July 4, 1776

"This is not bad; this is a conspiracy to remove happiness from existence. It seeks to wrap its hedgehog hand around the still beating heart of the personification of good and squeeze until it is stilled."
-- Chuck Sonnenburg on Voyager's "Elogium"