Are some species prejudice towards other empires?

PST: discuss Star Trek without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

Baffalo
Jedi Knight

Are some species prejudice towards other empires?

Post by Baffalo »

Every season of Star Trek has at least one episode focusing on a new species that is being either invited into the Federation or is on their short list. And something I've noticed is that most if not all the species tend to be fairly similar to the Federation standard: roughly 2 meters tall, few if any facial distinctions, fairly peaceful and focused on science and engineering. There's a few exceptions, such as the Benzites and Andorians, but for the most part, they're fairly similar to humans. Compare this to, say, the Nausicaans or Chintaka, who are shown as having large teeth, bony facial features, either very tall or slouching, and a very war-like culture. These cultures seem more likely to align with the Klingon Empire, which has very distinct bony features and a very distinct war-like culture. There are two species that seem to align with Romulans: the Yrridians and the Remans. In the first case, they are information brokers who don't see a problem with using their information to cause chaos, the trope that spy masters are pretentious dicks. The Remans skulk about in the shadows, just like spies, and don't mind using and throwing away anyone they can.

So the question is, are species prejudiced to fitting in with groups that most resemble them? I'm sure there's a list of creatures that are vastly different from humans appearance wise in the Federation (the species at the opening of Insurrection immediately springs to mind) but there could be any number of things going on there. No, I want to know if it's the culture itself that makes them more prejudice. Given that Star Trek already has a prejudice for humanoid lifeforms (Could someone get me the episode name where they find out who the projenator species is found please?) I think pointing out appearances might be too easy. Would a species that was more in line with the Klingons have much in the way of options if they were on the other side of the Federation from the Klingons? Or the Romulans? Would they even consider joining Starfleet at all?
"I subsist on 3 things: Sugar, Caffeine, and Hatred." -Baffalo late at night and hungry

"Why are you worried about the water pressure? You're near the ocean, you've got plenty of water!" -Architect to our team
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Re: Are some species prejudice towards other empires?

Post by FaxModem1 »

The episode where they investigate their common ancestry is in the Chase, a TNG episode.

And it seems only logical for cultures with similar cultures to integrate better. The Federation especially, as they love having races join in once they meet the desired pedigree.
dworkin
Jedi Master

Re: Are some species prejudice towards other empires?

Post by dworkin »

Real reason. I suspect it's 80% down to writing and budget constraints. One time aliens get less attention and SFX than antagonists that may show up repeatedly.

Fanboy in-universe reason. A space polity is going to engulf whomever they find. However those whose ethos / philosophy / bathroom habits match those of the dominant race will rise faster. The Klanks may well have several species of dreamy, star-gaxing poets in their sphere of influence but don't see much use for them except for doing the laundry and cooking. It may go a long way towards explaining why their uniforms are stiff and uncomfortable and foods always bad :D
Don't abandon democracy folks, or an alien star-god may replace your ruler. - NecronLord