OTNGEG: Code of Honor

PST: discuss Star Trek without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

Ted C
Sith Marauder

Re: OTNGEG: Code of Honor

Post by Ted C »

I think Wylde's comment has been torn into enough shreds, so I'll skip to the "display blast" torpedoes.

Surely those torpedoes couldn't have been detonating with kilotons of energy release, could they? The Ligonians had more advanced technology than ours (having their own transporters and all), so multiple nuclear explosions above the atmosphere should have hit them with a really nasty EMP, and there was no sign of that.
"This is supposed to be a happy occasion... Let's not bicker and argue about who killed who."
-- The King of Swamp Castle, Monty Python and the Holy Grail

"Nothing of consequence happened today. " -- Diary of King George III, July 4, 1776

"This is not bad; this is a conspiracy to remove happiness from existence. It seeks to wrap its hedgehog hand around the still beating heart of the personification of good and squeeze until it is stilled."
-- Chuck Sonnenburg on Voyager's "Elogium"
Cesario
Subhuman Pedophilia Advocate

Post by Cesario »

Possibly part of what being a display blast was included some measure to dampen the EMP. That also might help indicate why the visuals put the torpedoes where they did. 1000 meters above their highest satelite maybe?
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

There might simply not have been any EMP effects if the torpedoes went of high enough (ignoring that a society much more technologically advanced than real world us might simply have their electronics-or whatever they use instead, which is another factor that might play into it- shielded against that). For Modern Day Earth, '1000 metres above their highest satellite' (while likely incompatible as hell with the visuals would mean 36,001 kilometres. Even full-force MT range photorps wouldn't cause an EMP at that range.
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
Cesario

Post by Cesario »

Just always looking for a more satisfying explaination than "everyone on the show is an idiot".

Not that having to sit still and be quiet in this situation wouldn't make anyone lose a few IQ points. I certainly feel stupider for having watched this episode.
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

Yeah. I mean I'm totally on record for trying to make Trek look good.
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
Cesario

Post by Cesario »

That's alright, Batman. There's probably no help for this episode. My poor brain just keeps trying to find something of value.
Batman
Emperor's Hand

Post by Batman »

Cesario wrote:That's alright, Batman. There's probably no help for this episode. My poor brain just keeps trying to find something of value.
You'd probably consider me on the Warstard side of the Vs debate and if I had my druthers I'd, to use the WH40 term, purge most of the EU with fire :D
CaptainChewbacca
Browncoat Wookiee

Post by CaptainChewbacca »

So I see these episodes are 'dedicated' to people, how does that work? Do folks give him $10 or what?
Stuart: The only problem is, I'm losing track of which universe I'm in.
You kinda look like Jesus. With a lightsaber.- Peregrin Toker
ImageImage
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

CaptainChewbacca wrote:So I see these episodes are 'dedicated' to people, how does that work? Do folks give him $10 or what?
$50 and up
Depending if you want a single episode, a two-parter or a film.
Flameblade
Youngling

Post by Flameblade »

Crazedwraith wrote:
CaptainChewbacca wrote:So I see these episodes are 'dedicated' to people, how does that work? Do folks give him $10 or what?
$50 and up
Depending if you want a single episode, a two-parter or a film.
Huh. Anyone know why he lists Buffy as a "will not do"?
"Saying science is retarded on the internet is like dissing oxygen out loud." --- Rye
The plural of anecdote is not data and the plural of datum is not proof.
The act of burning up in the Earth's atmosphere is simply your body's effort to dispute the Earth's insistence that you travel at the same speed. The ground is the Earth's closing argument.
Stofsk
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stofsk »

Maybe because Buffy is shit.
andrewgpaul
Jedi Council Member

Post by andrewgpaul »

Probably because it won't be worth the bitching from the fanbase. Or he's just sick of it. :)
"So you want to live on a planet?"
"No. I think I'd find it a bit small and wierd."
"Aren't they dangerous? Don't they get hit by stuff?"
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

Or just for the same reason he was reluctant to Stargate, he's not familiar enough with the material to do it justice.
VF5SS
Sith Devotee

Post by VF5SS »

Do you really need Chuck to validate your own opinions :v

I kinda wanted to ask for The Ultimate Computer

or some cool Japanese movie like the Gundam trilogy of some LoGH

but jeez that's a lot of money

I wish people gave me that for my reviews :x
プロジェクトゾハルとは何ですか?
ロボットが好き。
Bob the Gunslinger
Has not forgotten the face of his father

Post by Bob the Gunslinger »

Alyeska wrote: Also, the Mirror Universe books made mention of this episode. The ISS Enterprise visited this planet looking for the same cure. They were put through the same initial trials. Mirror Enterprise sterilized the southern hemisphere in retaliation.
What book did this happen in? There's a whole series?
"Gunslinger indeed. Quick draw, Bob. Quick draw." --Count Chocula

"Unquestionably, Dr. Who is MUCH lighter in tone than WH40K. But then, I could argue the entirety of WWII was much lighter in tone than WH40K." --Broomstick

"This is ridiculous. I look like the Games Workshop version of a Jedi Knight." --Harry Dresden, Changes

"Like...are we canonical?" --Aaron Dembski-Bowden to Dan Abnett
Ahriman238
Sith Marauder

Post by Ahriman238 »

Bob the Gunslinger wrote:
Alyeska wrote: Also, the Mirror Universe books made mention of this episode. The ISS Enterprise visited this planet looking for the same cure. They were put through the same initial trials. Mirror Enterprise sterilized the southern hemisphere in retaliation.
Yes there is. We see the birth of hope, the resistance from DS9, after years of trila and struggle, overcome their foes, the Alliance.

And then the Mirror-Dominion shows up...
"Any plan which requires the direct intervention of any deity to work can be assumed to be a very poor one."- Newbiespud
edaw1982
Padawan Learner

Post by edaw1982 »

Alyeska wrote:Mirror Enterprise sterilized the southern hemisphere in retaliation.

As soon as I read that, I cracked up. Good on them, I mean you don't nick someone's security officer (or any crewman for that matter) without expecting some sort of reprisal.

Almost as stupid as the whole 'Oh no you stepped on the grass we must kill you' episode, neverminding the crew wouldn't know such a silly law imposed for natives of the planet...but Kirk would've rescued his crew with a beam up and tried to get the hell out of dodge.
"Put book front and center. He's our friend, we should honour him. Kaylee, find that kid who's taking a dirt-nap with baby Jesus. We need a hood ornment. Jayne! Try not to steal too much of their sh*t!"
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

Ahriman238 wrote:
Yes there is. We see the birth of hope, the resistance from DS9, after years of trila and struggle, overcome their foes, the Alliance.
To expand on Ahriman's answer, while there have been a few novels set in the Mirror Universe, they've usually been stand-alone or contradictory. That changed a couple of years ago with the debut of a new novel line, Star Trek: Mirror Universe. The series kicked off with two anthologies (Glass Empires and Obsidian Shards) which expanded on the Mirror Universe and explored its history while setting up a cohesive storyline that begins in the TOS-era MU and continues into the present day.

The initial anthologies were followed one more anthology (Shards and Shadows) and The Sorrows of Empire (an expansion of one of the novellas from Glass Empires) -- in addition to several crossovers with the DS9 relaunch. The storyline came to a head last month in David Mack's Rise Like Lions -- and based on what he described, it's left the MU in an interesting predicament for future novels.
Bob the Gunslinger
Has not forgotten the face of his father

Post by Bob the Gunslinger »

Are they actually any good, though?
"Gunslinger indeed. Quick draw, Bob. Quick draw." --Count Chocula

"Unquestionably, Dr. Who is MUCH lighter in tone than WH40K. But then, I could argue the entirety of WWII was much lighter in tone than WH40K." --Broomstick

"This is ridiculous. I look like the Games Workshop version of a Jedi Knight." --Harry Dresden, Changes

"Like...are we canonical?" --Aaron Dembski-Bowden to Dan Abnett
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

Bob the Gunslinger wrote:Are they actually any good, though?
I've only read the first anthologies; I need to get caught up on my Trek literature.

However, I reviewed Glass Empires and Obsidian Shards back in 2007.

Overall, I thought they were pretty good and still think so. The best of these stories are "Age of the Empress" (picking up where ENT's "In a Mirror Darkly" left off and which starts transitioning the ENT-era Terran Empire into its TOS-counterpart) and "Sorrorws of Empire" (which shows the decline of Terran Empire and presents a massive plot twist that sets up the story running into the present day, as mentioned before).
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

Alyeska's referring to Diane Duane's Dark Mirror which is a stand alone book, set in a TNG Mirror Universe, where the Empire did not collapse as per DS9.

And It's entirely unrelated to the Mirror Universe novels everyone else has proceeded to talk about, which are based on DS9's Mirror Universe.
Bright
Padawan Learner

Post by Bright »

VF5SS wrote:Do you really need Chuck to validate your own opinions :v

If I was rich, I'd ask him to review End of Evangelion.

Alas...
CaptainChewbacca
Browncoat Wookiee

Post by CaptainChewbacca »

How good/bad is the Mirror Universe dominion?
Stuart: The only problem is, I'm losing track of which universe I'm in.
You kinda look like Jesus. With a lightsaber.- Peregrin Toker
ImageImage
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

Bright wrote:
VF5SS wrote:Do you really need Chuck to validate your own opinions :v

If I was rich, I'd ask him to review End of Evangelion.
Heh. :twisted:
Darth Tedious
Jedi Master

Post by Darth Tedious »

CaptainChewbacca wrote:How good/bad is the Mirror Universe dominion?
Yeah, what? Wouldn't the Mirror Dominion be really nice or something?
"Darth Tedious just showed why women can go anywhere they want because they are, in effect, mobile kitchens." - RazorOutlaw

"That could never happen because super computers." - Stark

"Don't go there girl! Talk to the VTOL cause the glass canopy ain't listening!" - Shroomy