discrimation againist gentic engneer people

PST: discuss Star Trek without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

JasonB
Retarded Spambot

discrimation againist gentic engneer people

Post by JasonB »

The way treat genetic engineering people in UFP are form discrimination. Ok I known genetic engineering people try to do during that war on Earth known as the Eugenics Wars. How name many people worst villains in Earth history then Khan.
HMS Sophia
Jedi Master

Re: discrimation againist gentic engneer people

Post by HMS Sophia »

"The way they treat genetic engineers in the UFP is a form of discrimination. Okay, I know what the engineers were trying to do during that War on earth that was known as the Eugenics Wars."

That's all I can get clearly. I think the last sentence is: How come many people name Khan as one of the worst villains in Earth's History?

(I've started to look forward to JasonB's visits)
"Seriously though, every time I see something like this I think 'Ooo, I'm living in the future'. Unfortunately it increasingly looks like it's going to be a cyberpunkish dystopia, where the poor eat recycled shit and the rich eat the poor." Evilsoup, on the future

StarGazer, an experiment in RPG creation
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

I think the last sentence was originally 'How many people name Khan as one the worst villains in Earth's history' before he swapped them around. He should know that such rhetorical questions really highlight how he's a troll and not illiterate, since it makes literally no sense once rearranged.
HMS Sophia
Jedi Master

Post by HMS Sophia »

I have no clue. That last sentence is the weirdest piece of grammar I have ever seen.

But to answer his initial question, yes I suppose it is a form of discrimination, but only to the same extent that modern society discriminated against, say, Germany after the Second World War.
"Seriously though, every time I see something like this I think 'Ooo, I'm living in the future'. Unfortunately it increasingly looks like it's going to be a cyberpunkish dystopia, where the poor eat recycled shit and the rich eat the poor." Evilsoup, on the future

StarGazer, an experiment in RPG creation
JasonB
Retarded Spambot

Post by JasonB »

Stark wrote:I think the last sentence was originally 'How many people name Khan as one the worst villains in Earth's history' before he swapped them around. He should know that such rhetorical questions really highlight how he's a troll and not illiterate, since it makes literally no sense once rearranged.
Last sentence was many people lot worst Khan in human history. Yes can rearrange words if making easily explain others.
Iroscato
Jedi Council Member

Post by Iroscato »

Jason, you are either the greatest satirist in the history of the human race and everything slimy and unpleasant that has preceded it, or you are a fucking illiterate imbecile. It's hard to tell whether you genuinely cannot form sentences, or maybe you're playing some elaborate master plan, slowly drawing us in for a final, devastating blow. We will see soon enough if it is the latter ;)
Yeah, I've always taken the subtext of the Birther movement to be, "The rules don't count here! This is different! HE'S BLACK! BLACK, I SAY! ARE YOU ALL BLIND!?

- Raw Shark

Destiny and fate are for those too weak to forge their own futures. Where we are 'supposed' to be is irrelevent.

- SirNitram (RIP)
xerex
Jedi Knight

Post by xerex »

Dont know if i should even bother but it seems to me.

How name many people worst villains in Earth history then Khan
Last sentence was many people lot worst Khan in human history.

Many people in human history were worse than Khan.

also I think he's not talking about the genetic engineers but the genetically engineered people.
Go back far enough and you'll end up blaming some germ for splitting in two - Col Tigh
Purple
Sith Acolyte
Location: In a purple cube orbiting this planet. Hijacking satellites for an internet connection.

Post by Purple »

I think what he tried to say was:

The way the UFP treats genetic engineered people is a form discrimination. Ok I know what they tried to do during the Eugenics Wars. But there were many villains in earth history worse than Khan.

So in essence I think his whole argument boils down to: "UFP vs Genetic Engineering = Overreaction much"
It has become clear to me in the previous days that any attempts at reconciliation and explanation with the community here has failed. I have tried my best. I really have. I pored my heart out trying. But it was all for nothing.

You win. There, I have said it.

Now there is only one thing left to do. Let us see if I can sum up the strength needed to end things once and for all.
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

JasonB wrote:Last sentence was many people lot worst Khan in human history. Yes can rearrange words if making easily explain others.
Time arrow like flies. Banana flying a like fruit.

¿Comprende?
Purple wrote:So in essence I think his whole argument boils down to: "UFP vs Genetic Engineering = Overreaction much"
If so, then the answer is "probably not." Not if genetically engineered supermen are supposed to have touched off the apocalyptic mess that Earth was in before the Vulcans showed up.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
Eframepilot
Jedi Master

Post by Eframepilot »

How can you guys have already forgotten what monsters Khan and his crew were? It was only 15 years ago that the Eugenics Wars ended!

Sheesh.
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

I'm not entirely sure what you're getting at.
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
SCRawl
Has a bad feeling about this.

Post by SCRawl »

Batman wrote:I'm not entirely sure what you're getting at.
When four out of the five words comprising the thread title are misspelled, are you really all that surprised?
73% of all statistics are made up, including this one.

I'm waiting as fast as I can.
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

As I was mainly referring to the' 15 years ago' statement, yes?
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
Ahriman238
Sith Marauder

Post by Ahriman238 »

A reference to the original series Space Seed, where Khan first appeared. They said that the eugenics war ended in 1996.
"Any plan which requires the direct intervention of any deity to work can be assumed to be a very poor one."- Newbiespud
JasonB
Retarded Spambot

Post by JasonB »

Eframepilot wrote:How can you guys have already forgotten what monsters Khan and his crew were? It was only 15 years ago that the Eugenics Wars ended!

Sheesh.
I think lot worst monsters then him and his crew. Hitler, Stalin, that Leaders of Iran, Saudi Arabia King , Syria dictator the Chine President,North Korea President . I prefer under Khan rule then under any of them. I sure longer other monsters I forget.
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

But you forget, the Eugenics wars were back in 1996. How old were you back then? You must have been really young if you don't remember the Eugenics Wars.
Purple
Sith Acolyte
Location: In a purple cube orbiting this planet. Hijacking satellites for an internet connection.

Post by Purple »

I don't know. From what I remember it was not all that bad. I mean sure people died but the trains used to run on time. And there were newer any crowds either. You could like walk the streets all day long and see no one. I miss the silence.
It has become clear to me in the previous days that any attempts at reconciliation and explanation with the community here has failed. I have tried my best. I really have. I pored my heart out trying. But it was all for nothing.

You win. There, I have said it.

Now there is only one thing left to do. Let us see if I can sum up the strength needed to end things once and for all.
Metahive
Sith Devotee

Post by Metahive »

Mutant Gerbil wrote:Last sentence was many people lot worst Khan in human history. Yes can rearrange words if making easily explain others.
Yeah, but only Kahn and his Herrenmenschen became so due to deliberate genetic augmentation. If a certain procedure is prone to producing maladjusted lunatics I think there's a good reason to frown upon it. Just look at all the augmented people that show up in Trek, Kahn is a power-hungry despot, those crazies from DS9 betray the Federation on a whim and the Soong's augments are bloodthirsty eugenic supremacists. Only doctor Bashir is halfway sociable. That's enough to turn popular opinion against them I say.
People at birth are naturally good. Their natures are similar, but their habits make them different from each other.
-Sanzi Jing (Three Character Classic)

Saddam’s crime was so bad we literally spent decades looking for our dropped monocles before we could harumph up the gumption to address it
-User Indigo Jump on Pharyngula

O God, please don't let me die today, tomorrow would be so much better!
-Traditional Spathi morning prayer
Big Orange
Emperor's Hand

Post by Big Orange »

Metahive wrote:If a certain procedure is prone to producing maladjusted lunatics I think there's a good reason to frown upon it. Just look at all the augmented people that show up in Trek, Kahn is a power-hungry despot, those crazies from DS9 betray the Federation on a whim and the Soong's augments are bloodthirsty eugenic supremacists. Only doctor Bashir is halfway sociable. That's enough to turn popular opinion against them I say.
Khan had sociopathic traits and was pushed over the edge when his wife died, his gang and Soong Sr.'s gang were dangerous terrorists, but I doubt every augment out there is going to be like them by default. Not every mutant is a Magneto or Sebastian Shaw. Bashir and his cadre of augments with other mental health issues from "Statistical Probabilities" were not out to actively dominate and destroy, they were just overthinking classified strategic data and fooled themselves into assuming they were saving the UFP from greater disaster by letting it lose quicker.
'Alright guard, begin the unnecessarily slow moving dipping mechanism...' - Dr. Evil

'Secondly, I don't see why "income inequality" is a bad thing. Poverty is not an injustice. There is no such thing as causes for poverty, only causes for wealth. Poverty is not a wrong, but taking money from those who have it to equalize incomes is basically theft, which is wrong.' - Typical Randroid

'I think it's gone a little bit wrong.' - The Doctor
Metahive
Sith Devotee

Post by Metahive »

The thing is that of all the genetically enhanced people shown there's only one who isn't a threat to society. That's what the shows give us to work with.
Big Orange wrote:Bashir and his cadre of augments with other mental health issues from "Statistical Probabilities" were not out to actively dominate and destroy, they were just overthinking classified strategic data and fooled themselves into assuming they were saving the UFP from greater disaster by letting it lose quicker.
They arrogantly believed they had the right to decide the fate of the Federation and its billions of inhabitants by themselves. I think that's already bad enough.
People at birth are naturally good. Their natures are similar, but their habits make them different from each other.

Saddam’s crime was so bad we literally spent decades looking for our dropped monocles before we could harumph up the gumption to address it

PREDATOR490
Jedi Council Member

Post by PREDATOR490 »

Genetic Engineering to cure serious defects is allowed but doing so to 'upgrade' people is not.

Why ?
1) Parents subjecting their kids to 'upgrades' could easily result in a fucked up mess - "Hey, I want my son to have wings cause that would be cool"

2) Once the upgrades start those individuals will have an "unfair" advantage over their non-upgraded humans - Bashir having to stand further back vs O'Brien playing darts

3) Society will have to adjust to accomodate Super Men vs Normal Men most likely resulting in a clear seperation in class. Ubers vs Normals except the 'Normals' are in charge initially.
Ubers get resentful because to them the 'Normals' are the equivelent of JasonB and I dont think anyone here would want to be part of a society where he is 'normal'
Ubers try to dictate whats best according to their superior abilities - I.E DS9 Statistical Probabilities
'Normals' turn around and tell them to go fuck themselves - I.E DS9 Statistical Probabilities

Result:
i) Eugenic Wars ending in society adjusts to control the situation either by banning Genetic Engineering except in extreme circumstances or making Genetic Engineering mandatory for everyone without choice.

Change 'Genetic Engineering' to 'Cybernetic Augmentations' and it wouldnt be hard to imagine how the Borg started down the road to becoming what they were.

The 'Normal' Feds won and banned G.E
The 'Upgraded' Borg won and went with making Assimilation 'Mandatory'
JasonB
Retarded Spambot

Post by JasonB »

PREDATOR490 wrote:Genetic Engineering to cure serious defects is allowed but doing so to 'upgrade' people is not.

Why ?
1) Parents subjecting their kids to 'upgrades' could easily result in a fucked up mess - "Hey, I want my son to have wings cause that would be cool"

2) Once the upgrades start those individuals will have an "unfair" advantage over their non-upgraded humans - Bashir having to stand further back vs O'Brien playing darts

3) Society will have to adjust to accomodate Super Men vs Normal Men most likely resulting in a clear seperation in class. Ubers vs Normals except the 'Normals' are in charge initially.
Ubers get resentful because to them the 'Normals' are the equivelent of JasonB and I dont think anyone here would want to be part of a society where he is 'normal'
Ubers try to dictate whats best according to their superior abilities - I.E DS9 Statistical Probabilities
'Normals' turn around and tell them to go fuck themselves - I.E DS9 Statistical Probabilities

Result:
i) Eugenic Wars ending in society adjusts to control the situation either by banning Genetic Engineering except in extreme circumstances or making Genetic Engineering mandatory for everyone without choice.

Change 'Genetic Engineering' to 'Cybernetic Augmentations' and it wouldnt be hard to imagine how the Borg started down the road to becoming what they were.

The 'Normal' Feds won and banned G.E
The 'Upgraded' Borg won and went with making Assimilation 'Mandatory'
Problem punish a child for parent I had friend that this happen to. His mother used illegal drugs born meltal problem like me guess they did not him because part disable program play tug war during Color war. Yes great reason denied people right to do things because parent decide broke law.
Metahive
Sith Devotee

Post by Metahive »

Mutant Gerbil wrote:Problem punish a child for parent I had friend that this happen to. His mother used illegal drugs born meltal problem like me guess they did not him because part disable program play tug war during Color war. Yes great reason denied people right to do things because parent decide broke law.
So, how's that in anyway congruent with the fictional UFP's decision to outlaw the genetic augmenting of people? Bashir's parents could have left well enough alone and only corrected their sons genetic defects, but no, they had to "improve" their child way beyond the standard. Until the latter is even an option for human babies your complaints here are without cause.