Why was Worf allowed the sash?

PST: discuss Star Trek without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Why was Worf allowed the sash?

Post by FaxModem1 »

Worf, from day one, was allowed to wear his sash on the Enterprise, while Ensign Ro was chewed out by Riker when she beamed aboard the Enterprise for wearing her her family earring. Any reason for that?
Tsyroc
Emperor's Hand

Re: Why was Worf allowed the sash?

Post by Tsyroc »

It might have been something that Worf had arranged with Starfleet or his command before TNG started. Also, remember that Ensign Ro was pretty much looked upon as undeserving of being in Starfleet after whatever she did previously. Riker seemed to be the hardest on her, but a lot of the time it's the XO's job to be a dick.

Given the inclusiveness that Starfleet likes to think it has it is kind of fucked up that she wasn't allowed something rather insignificant that was so important to her people's religion and culture. There are legitimate reasons for not wanting people wearing dangly earrings in the work place, and especially on a military vessel, but it's one of those things that could easily have been granted on a case by case basis. She didn't seem to have any problems after she got it cleared with Picard.
By the pricking of my thumb,
Something wicked this way comes.
Open, locks,
Whoever knocks.
Stofsk
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stofsk »

Wrong forum for this /captain obvious

Anyway Tsyroc has the best conjecture. There isn't any real answer in the show. Worf was allowed to wear the sash, almost certainly because Picard's nice like that - at the end of 'Ensign Ro' Ro agrees to join the crew on one condition, which was to wear her earring. It's obviously an area of discretion for officers.
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

Stofsk wrote:Anyway Tsyroc has the best conjecture. There isn't any real answer in the show. Worf was allowed to wear the sash, almost certainly because Picard's nice like that - at the end of 'Ensign Ro' Ro agrees to join the crew on one condition, which was to wear her earring. It's obviously an area of discretion for officers.
He also got to wear it with Sisko.

Maybe Starfleet has an approved list of accoutrements, and the paperwork wasn't through on the Bajorans' gear.
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
Stofsk
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stofsk »

Well yeah but Sisko is a pretty cool dude too.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Sisko also had better things to worry about than going after his people for not wearing the correct uniform. After all, the Klingons were killing people left and right.
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Maybe they thought it looked cool. Why did they wear pajamas for uniforms?

Wrong forum hur hur.
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
"Mostly Harmless Nutcase"
Connor MacLeod
Sith Apprentice

Post by Connor MacLeod »

Didn't the Bajoran earrings have some religious significance? I'm pretty sure Worf's sash wasn't religious.
Stofsk
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stofsk »

Connor MacLeod wrote:Didn't the Bajoran earrings have some religious significance? I'm pretty sure Worf's sash wasn't religious.
No but I'll bet my left nutsack that it has cultural significance.
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

Oh darn, could a mod move this to the Trek forum?
Sarevok
The Fearless One

Post by Sarevok »

Worf is also pretty important. A Klingon raised with human values and serving in Starfleet is a great diplomatic asset. If wearing a sash helps him relate to his people better then more power to him.
I have to tell you something everything I wrote above is a lie.
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

Oddly, Nog and Rom also got to wear Ferengi headdress in their uniforms colours. And that's probably not of great cultural or religious significance to them. Or at least if it was, it was never really elaborated upon.

UFP: will respect the fashion sense of other cultures...
Sarevok
The Fearless One

Post by Sarevok »

Eh being multi cultural IS a big part of the whole Federation shtick.
I have to tell you something everything I wrote above is a lie.
Azron_Stoma
Padawan Learner

Post by Azron_Stoma »

Personally I found the whole forcing them to take off the earring thing to be offensive and hypocritical, but that's me.
Darth Tedious
Jedi Master

Post by Darth Tedious »

I also think Tisroc is right on with one small exception- while I'd agree that not wearing dangly earrings makes sense on a military vessel, they did also have kids on board... I don't think I'll ever understand what they were thinking there.

The funniest thing about the wrong forum thing is, a mod has been here, and didn't move it!
"Darth Tedious just showed why women can go anywhere they want because they are, in effect, mobile kitchens." - RazorOutlaw

"That could never happen because super computers." - Stark

"Don't go there girl! Talk to the VTOL cause the glass canopy ain't listening!" - Shroomy
Connor MacLeod
Sith Apprentice

Post by Connor MacLeod »

it could be political. Things in the late TNG era were pretty prickly when it came to the CArdassians, and Bajor was definitely a factor there. Given how they dealt with the CArdassians in certain cases (leading to the Maquis problem) it could be that the discrimination against Ro was politically motivated because she was Bajoran.

It probably also didn't help that Bajoran religion was one of the big headaches to the Federation in DS9 (either Sisko being the prophet, or in Bajor's inclusion into the Federation.)

In another vein, allowing Worf to wear his sash may be intended to be a positive sign to the Klingons, who are a powerful and politically important ally through much of TNG and DS9.
TOSDOC
Padawan Learner
Location: Rotating between Redshirt Hospital and the Stormtrooper School of Marksmanship.

Post by TOSDOC »

Worf could have earned his sash somehow, rather than it be just a cultural statement. In either case, he then could have applied to Starfleet for, and been granted, special dispensation to wear it as part of the duty uniform. Such permission would be part of his permanent record and dossier for future commanding officers, and this can set precedent for future cases of people serving in the fleet, especially new Fed members. The Bajorans might simply not have explained to Starfleet the significance of their jewelry yet, which means no permission so far as Riker was concerned (i.e. doing his job as executive).

I've seen the dangers and consequences of wearing dangling jewelry in the workplace. Not a good idea.
"In the long run, however, there can be no excuse for any individual not knowing what it is possible for him to know. Why shouldn't he?" --Elliot Grosvenor, Voyage of the Space Beagle
Purple
Sith Acolyte
Location: In a purple cube orbiting this planet. Hijacking satellites for an internet connection.

Post by Purple »

TOSDOC wrote:I've seen the dangers and consequences of wearing dangling jewelry in the workplace. Not a good idea.
Just for the record, what exactly are these dangers?
I have seen multiple people on this thread mention them but somehow I can't imagine anything on the bridge of the big E that the earing could catch on.
It has become clear to me in the previous days that any attempts at reconciliation and explanation with the community here has failed. I have tried my best. I really have. I pored my heart out trying. But it was all for nothing.

You win. There, I have said it.

Now there is only one thing left to do. Let us see if I can sum up the strength needed to end things once and for all.
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

If you work with your head near moving objects, dangling jewelry can get caught in the moving object. If the moving object is heavy machinery, this may result in bits of you being ripped off, or in something getting drawn around your wrist/neck/whatever tightly enough to strangle/cripple/amputate body parts.

This can also happen with intense magnetic fields, which might for all I know be an issue on a starship.

None of this is necessarily a problem on the bridge, but in general, shipboard uniform regulations are set by what you need to operate in the dangerous parts of the ship. In an emergency, pretty much anyone may be needed to help with damage control or the like, so the uniform will be governed by what it's safe to wear under those conditions.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
Stofsk
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stofsk »

I doubt it's a big problem on the Enterprise or any star trek ship really. I never got the impression there were industrial machines onboard or rather machines which employed moving parts the likes of which Simon describes. Even if there were, it takes like a second to remove the earring and put it away.

EDIT
The funniest thing about the wrong forum thing is, a mod has been here, and didn't move it!
Thanas is the mod of N&P, poor devil, and I don't know if any mod can move it or he just doesn't want to step on Vympel's toes.
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

Moved. Jeez, stop yer whinging. :)
Like Legend of Galactic Heroes? Please contribute to http://gineipaedia.com/
Stofsk
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stofsk »

I told him to do it. 8)
lstyer
Redshirt

Post by lstyer »

Stofsk wrote:
Connor MacLeod wrote:Didn't the Bajoran earrings have some religious significance? I'm pretty sure Worf's sash wasn't religious.
No but I'll bet my left nutsack that it has cultural significance.
As far as I can remember, prior to Worf, the only Klingons we saw wearing sashes were in command positions. Worf pretty clearly wasn't in any kind of command position, at least in Season 1. That said, of the "Big Three" Klingon commanders from TOS, Kor and Kang wore the sash, but Koloth didn't, so maybe it didn't have anything to do do with holding a command position. I'm kind of curious what it was originally meant to signify.
Skylon
Jedi Council Member

Post by Skylon »

lstyer wrote: As far as I can remember, prior to Worf, the only Klingons we saw wearing sashes were in command positions. Worf pretty clearly wasn't in any kind of command position, at least in Season 1. That said, of the "Big Three" Klingon commanders from TOS, Kor and Kang wore the sash, but Koloth didn't, so maybe it didn't have anything to do do with holding a command position. I'm kind of curious what it was originally meant to signify.
Likewise the Klingon Captain in TMP was sporting a sash of sorts. Worf's season 1 sash is actually damn close, if not the same as the one worn by Kor and Kang.

I always figured it had signified ones family. Maybe it represents belonging to a noble house?

To sidestep for a moment also, this conversation reminded me why I hated the introduction episode for Ensign Ro (and actually, was never too fond of the character). Suddenly the crew of the good ship Enterprise turn into utter dickheads. The earring bit was the most extreme example. Normally I wouldn't mind some tension (as there should be considering she had disobeyed orders and gotten people killed), but instead it came across as so jarring it all just seemed out of character.
-A.L.
"Nothing in this world can take the place of persistence...Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'press on' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race." - Calvin Coolidge

"If you're falling off a cliff you may as well try to fly, you've got nothing to lose." - John Sheridan (Babylon 5)

"Sometimes you got to roll the hard six." - William Adama (Battlestar Galactica)
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

I always assumed Worf had incriminating photos of a Starfleet muckety muck and was blackmailing him/her/it into letting him wear the sash. :) 8) :wink:

Seriously, I always assumed it represented a Klingon Noble House too.