Why did we not see anti-matter podes used weapon more often

PST: discuss Star Trek without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

Baffalo
Jedi Knight

Re: Why did we not see anti-matter podes used weapon more of

Post by Baffalo »

Enigma wrote:Even if you detonate an antimatter pod, not all of the antimatter will explode at the same time. Chance are a good chunk would be pushed away from the blast.
The exact properties of the explosion will vary even if you use the same pod too. Is the pod a sphere? Chances are, no, it's a cylinder or some other object. Is the shot dead on or off to the side? That depends on your gunner, and that's one shot you just need to knick it to set it off, so precise gunnery isn't needed. Is there a traditional explosive surrounding the anti-matter on a timer? If so, is it synchronous or just there to go boom? There are tons of variables that can make the explosion more or less power and even alter the way the pressure expands. Explosions aren't perfect spheres, especially if the explosive isn't packed uniformly or in a sphere, so that can have a huge impact.

Also, the power dissipates by the inverse of the radius squared, meaning that doubling the distance between the enemy and the pod decreases the power against that same enemy by a factor of four. Sure, close by there's almost nothing that can withstand it, but if you move far enough away, the explosion will just fizzle against your shields.
"I subsist on 3 things: Sugar, Caffeine, and Hatred." -Baffalo late at night and hungry

"Why are you worried about the water pressure? You're near the ocean, you've got plenty of water!" -Architect to our team
Connor MacLeod
Sith Apprentice

Post by Connor MacLeod »

We're talking about pods? The OP asked for podes. PODES dammit! you people need to stay on track and stop hijacking this thread. :lol:
Baffalo
Jedi Knight

Post by Baffalo »

Connor MacLeod wrote:We're talking about pods? The OP asked for podes. PODES dammit! you people need to stay on track and stop hijacking this thread. :lol:
Quite right!
Wikipedia wrote:Podes was the son of Eetion in Greek mythology, and thus the brother of Andromache, wife of Hector, whom he is said to have befriended.[1] He fought on the side of the Trojans in the Trojan War, and was killed by Menelaus. However, in Book 6 of the Iliad Andromache claims that her seven brothers have been killed by Achilles. This contradiction is not resolved.
There you are. Podes.
"I subsist on 3 things: Sugar, Caffeine, and Hatred." -Baffalo late at night and hungry

"Why are you worried about the water pressure? You're near the ocean, you've got plenty of water!" -Architect to our team
Enigma
is a laughing fool.

Post by Enigma »

Simon_Jester wrote:He wouldn't happen to be the guy you said "your Pakled mind tricks won't work here" to?
That is correct, sir!

I even had an avatar for him that used to replace his.

ASVS('97)/SDN('03)

"Whilst human alchemists refer to the combustion triangle, some of their orcish counterparts see it as more of a hexagon: heat, fuel, air, laughter, screaming, fun." Dawn of the Dragons

ASSCRAVATS!
aussiemuscle308
Padawan Learner

Post by aussiemuscle308 »

Baffalo wrote: I like to think of myself as an equal opportunity asshole
translation: i don't care who or what you are, i'll point out your stupidity.

We could use a few more people like you.
========================================
If you believe in Telekinesis, raise my hand.
Baffalo
Jedi Knight

Post by Baffalo »

aussiemuscle308 wrote:
Baffalo wrote: I like to think of myself as an equal opportunity asshole
translation: i don't care who or what you are, i'll point out your stupidity.

We could use a few more people like you.
I thought that was fairly common around here. Certainly enough of my dumbass comments have been kicked around when I lose my mind.

Darth Tedious
Jedi Master

Post by Darth Tedious »

Baffalo wrote:
Wikipedia wrote:Podes was the son of Eetion in Greek mythology, and thus the brother of Andromache, wife of Hector, whom he is said to have befriended.[1] He fought on the side of the Trojans in the Trojan War, and was killed by Menelaus. However, in Book 6 of the Iliad Andromache claims that her seven brothers have been killed by Achilles. This contradiction is not resolved.
There you are. Podes.
But antimatter Podes is only able to detonate to full yield when combined with regular matter Podes, and he died quite some time ago...

Incidentally, the contradiction they mention shouldn't really be an issue- wasn't the Iliad considered a non-canon fanfic source? :P
"Darth Tedious just showed why women can go anywhere they want because they are, in effect, mobile kitchens." - RazorOutlaw

"That could never happen because super computers." - Stark

"Don't go there girl! Talk to the VTOL cause the glass canopy ain't listening!" - Shroomy
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

The Iliad may only be considered non-canon you can survive the resulting volley of javelins from centuries of irate Greco-Roman warriors.

I don't know about you, but I don't want to be the one to shout "CONCESSION ACCEPTED!" to a Greek phalanx.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
Revy
Jedi Knight

Post by Revy »

I know this is a bit late in the thread, but in an episode of TNG (Nth Degree I think it was) they were being chased by a probe and couldn't risk firing photorps at it, even with their shields at full strength, because they were worried they'd destroy themselves firing them at such close range. I think. And then Barclay had to supercharge the shields so they could fire the torps and blow up the probe without destroying themselves.

... which is stupid if I am remembering that right. If they can't even survive a photorp going off near to them, how the hell can they survive actually being shot with several of them by an enemy? Bleh.
"And the writers sayeth unto the firmament: let there be a hokey plot convenience! And lo, I sayeth it shall be a curse upon Voyager, and all the people who dwell within, and they shall surely feeleth like a collection of jackasses."
Baffalo
Jedi Knight

Post by Baffalo »

Revy wrote:I know this is a bit late in the thread, but in an episode of TNG (Nth Degree I think it was) they were being chased by a probe and couldn't risk firing photorps at it, even with their shields at full strength, because they were worried they'd destroy themselves firing them at such close range. I think. And then Barclay had to supercharge the shields so they could fire the torps and blow up the probe without destroying themselves.

... which is stupid if I am remembering that right. If they can't even survive a photorp going off near to them, how the hell can they survive actually being shot with several of them by an enemy? Bleh.
Because it's writers with backgrounds in anything BUT engineering trying to write about science and futuristic technology. They don't have a clue what they're on about.

Sea Skimmer
Yankee Capitalist Air Pirate

Post by Sea Skimmer »

Never mind the fact that the photon torpedoes are often moving slower then WW2 torpedo planes would have. Man the ack ack guns? Thank god the latest Trek movie finally recognized that and had them blowing up incoming missiles.
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
— Field Marshal William Slim 1956
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

Unless that probe was ludicrously close, the inverse square law makes that highly dubious. Until DS9 at least photorps were omnidirectional explosives, and even a distance of a 1000 metres would mean the torp hitting the probe would inflict a tiny fraction of the yield of a direct hit on the Big E's shields.
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
Swindle1984
Jedi Master

Post by Swindle1984 »

Enigma wrote:
JasonB wrote:IN star Terk why not seen anti-matter pode used weapons more often. Why only seen once get used Voyager as weapon.
If you drove a tank, would you toss your gas tank at your enemies? What am I fucking saying! Of course you would! You are Jason, the fucked up moron that should be playing with matches and dynamite at the same time. :)
Unless he has fused blasting caps to go along with the dynamite, I don't think the matches factor in. Maybe if it was matches and black powder he was playing with...

Or if he started juggling the dynamite... Hmm... Yeah, he probably would.
Your ad here.