ODS9EG - Trials and Tribble-ations

PST: discuss Star Trek without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

Darth Paxis
Padawan Learner

ODS9EG - Trials and Tribble-ations

Post by Darth Paxis »

KAC-WG

Temujin
Jedi Master

Re: ODS9EG - Trials and Tribble-ations

Post by Temujin »

A great review for a great episode.

I particularly love the bit about Kirk being a Man's Man's Man and strangling syphilis. :lol:
Mr. Harley: Your impatience is quite understandable.
Klaatu: I'm impatient with stupidity. My people have learned to live without it.
Mr. Harley: I'm afraid my people haven't. I'm very sorry... I wish it were otherwise.

"I do know that for the sympathy of one living being, I would make peace with all. I have love in me the likes of which you can scarcely imagine and rage the likes of which you would not believe.
If I cannot satisfy the one, I will indulge the other." – Frankenstein's Creature on the glacier[/size]
Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crossroads Inc. »

Im sorry but I am having a true "laugh out loud" moment by the "no STD ever had the courage to infect James T Kirk ever again
Praying is another way of doing nothing helpful
"Congratulations, you get a cookie. You almost got a fundamental English word correct." Pick
"Outlaw star has spaceships that punch eachother" Joviwan
Read "Tales From The Crossroads"!
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
Cecelia5578
Jedi Knight

Post by Cecelia5578 »

IIRC this was part of the 30th anniversary of Trek. Voyager also had a special TOS episode, (can't remember the name) dealing with Tuvok, Sulu and ST6. Compared to T and T, it was pretty mediocre, and a big waste of cast and money.
Lurking everywhere since 1998
Ghost Rider
Spirit of Vengeance

Post by Ghost Rider »

Ah, good times.

Tribbles, Sisko wanting to know what it is like to beat a lizard costume, Shatner's double, and Bashir about to pull a Fry.
MM /CF/WG/BOTM/JL/Original Warsie/ACPATHNTDWATGODW FOREVER!!

Sometimes we can choose the path we follow. Sometimes our choices are made for us. And sometimes we have no choice at all

Saying and doing are chocolate and concrete
Big Orange
Emperor's Hand

Post by Big Orange »

Cecelia5578 wrote:IIRC this was part of the 30th anniversary of Trek. Voyager also had a special TOS episode, (can't remember the name) dealing with Tuvok, Sulu and ST6. Compared to T and T, it was pretty mediocre, and a big waste of cast and money.
"Flashback"?

It was OK in the way it blended the late 23rd century in with the 24th century, but it wasn't helped at all by George Takei's terribly pompous, stilted acting. "Trials and Tribulations" was cheesy fanwank, but it was a lot more fun and much needed tongue in cheek (like VOY's "Bride of Chaotica").
'Alright guard, begin the unnecessarily slow moving dipping mechanism...' - Dr. Evil

'Secondly, I don't see why "income inequality" is a bad thing. Poverty is not an injustice. There is no such thing as causes for poverty, only causes for wealth. Poverty is not a wrong, but taking money from those who have it to equalize incomes is basically theft, which is wrong.' - Typical Randroid

'I think it's gone a little bit wrong.' - The Doctor
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

Big Orange wrote:
Cecelia5578 wrote:IIRC this was part of the 30th anniversary of Trek. Voyager also had a special TOS episode, (can't remember the name) dealing with Tuvok, Sulu and ST6. Compared to T and T, it was pretty mediocre, and a big waste of cast and money.
"Flashback"?

It was OK in the way it blended the late 23rd century in with the 24th century, but it wasn't helped at all by George Takei's terribly pompous, stilted acting. "Trials and Tribulations" was cheesy fanwank, but it was a lot more fun and much needed tongue in cheek (like VOY's "Bride of Chaotica").
Part of me still wishes the DS9 production team had gone with their original idea to revisit the events of "A Piece of the Action" and see Kirk's influence on the planet.
Stofsk
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stofsk »

Nah. They should have done that regardless. Revisiting Tribbles was a great move and a fantastic homage to the original series.
CaiusWickersham
Padawan Learner

Post by CaiusWickersham »

Sorry Chuck, but there are six Enterprises: Ent-prime, A-E. There isn't one before them.
Eframepilot
Jedi Master

Post by Eframepilot »

CaiusWickersham wrote:Sorry Chuck, but there are six Enterprises: Ent-prime, A-E. There isn't one before them.
The "Six" was indeed a reference to the E, but it's more fun to pretend that the forgotten sixth was Archer's.
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

Eframepilot wrote:
CaiusWickersham wrote:Sorry Chuck, but there are six Enterprises: Ent-prime, A-E. There isn't one before them.
The "Six" was indeed a reference to the E, but it's more fun to pretend that the forgotten sixth was Archer's.
Maybe John Harriman is the Chris Benoit of Starfleet, and they've wiped him from their collective memories as well.
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

Gandalf wrote:
Eframepilot wrote:
Maybe John Harriman is the Chris Benoit of Starfleet, and they've wiped him from their collective memories as well.
It's unfortunate that our only on-screen glimpse of Harriman left much to be desired. Novels like Serpents Among the Ruins portrayed Harriman as a competent Captain -- not in Kirk's league of course, but qualified enough to handle the Enterprise legacy.
Molyneux
Emperor's Hand

Post by Molyneux »

Actually, long before Enterprise, there were references to a space craft named "Enterprise" - and not the space shuttle, either. It goes at least as far back as Star Trek: the Motion Picture.
Ceci n'est pas une signature.
Instant Sunrise
Jedi Knight
Location: El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Angeles del Río de Porciúncula

Post by Instant Sunrise »

Captain John Harriman was quickly forgotten after he left the Enterprise-B in reverse and it went out the back of a spacedock and crashed on Earth.
Hi, I'm Liz.
SoS: NBA | GALE Force
Twitter
Tumblr
OsirisLord
Youngling

Post by OsirisLord »

I love this episode. It's fun and doesn't take itself very seriously. On top of that you can tell that the entire cast was having a blast with it. I think if Star Trek was more like this, fun space opera that doesn't take itself too seriously, I probably would be kinder to it.
FedRebel
Jedi Master

Post by FedRebel »

Instant Sunrise wrote:Captain John Harriman was quickly forgotten after he left the Enterprise-B in reverse and it went out the back of a spacedock and crashed on Earth.
I doubt that, he just got reassigned on...

...wait for it...

"Tuesday" :lol:
Skylon
Jedi Council Member

Post by Skylon »

Didn't catch this posted, but Chuck did a companion piece to the reviews of the two 30th anniversary episodes, comparing the two directly:

I loved the ripping on Janeway for her comments about how Kirk and company would be booted out of Starfleet in the 24th century.
-A.L.
"Nothing in this world can take the place of persistence...Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'press on' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race." - Calvin Coolidge

"If you're falling off a cliff you may as well try to fly, you've got nothing to lose." - John Sheridan (Babylon 5)

"Sometimes you got to roll the hard six." - William Adama (Battlestar Galactica)
Patrick Degan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Patrick Degan »

"Trials And Tribbleations" was goofy, but the sheer effort the DS9 production crew put in to duplicate the whole look of the TOS world, down to finding now-rare materials to reconstruct set props exactly as they were fashioned back in that time, earned my respect for this episode and for the producers. That's having respect for the primary source. Berman and Braga could not have comprehended such a concept on their best day.
When ballots have fairly and constitutionally decided, there can be no successful appeal back to bullets.
—Abraham Lincoln

People pray so that God won't crush them like bugs.
—Dr. Gregory House

Oil an emergency?! It's about time, Brigadier, that the leaders of this planet of yours realised that to remain dependent upon a mineral slime simply doesn't make sense.
—The Doctor "Terror Of The Zygons" (1975)