To Boldly Go (Staff your own Starship)RAR

PST: discuss Star Trek without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

DrMckay
Jedi Master

To Boldly Go (Staff your own Starship)RAR

Post by DrMckay »

For fun, and because I thought the Trek forum could use some legible posts, I have a new RAR:

Q pops up and informs you that you will be dropped into the star Trek Universe, 6 months before the start of the Dominion War as soon as the conversation ends. You will not be dropped straight into vacuum however, you will be given a stock vessel (no cloaking devices unless Klingon or Romulan, genesis devices, etc) of any Alpha Quadrant Power approximately the size of an Intrepid-Class vessel (~350 Meters long) or smaller, and a skeleton crew as well as basic technical and engineering knowledge. Your mission is to participate in the war effort on any side, (Cardie, Klingon, Fed, Maquis, Dominion) etc. For the Duration of the war. If your ship and crew survive, you are transported back to Earth and get to keep the ship.

The "combat participation" can be anything from evacuation of refugees from a combat zone to black ops Skullduggery, but it must be aiding the war effort of some side in some way. Also, you are encouraged to choose a command crew for your vessel from any sci-fi game, movie or book (Psychic powers can be no more powerful than counselor Troi's, and no duplicates of characters alive in universe can be used ie: Picard, Riker, Sisko, etc. TOS and ENT Characters are ok though.) and all will be using variations on Federation Tech eg: (if Boba Fett is your security officer, He uses a Phaser or disruptor, not a blaster.) Below are the positions that need to be filled.

Feel free to copy-paste for universal formatting.

Affiliation:

Stock Vessel Class:

Ship Name:

Mission Profile:

First Officer:

Science Officer:

Security:

Engineering:

Helmsman:

Medical:

Diplomat/Counselor role:

Have fun!

Here's mine:

Affiliation: Maquis

Stock Vessel Class: K'Tinga Class Battlecruiser Crew of 500 Approx (Skeleton of 250) Disruptors, Photon torps, and a cloaking device.

Ship Name: Happy Vulcan As in: "Sir, We're being fired upon- by the Happy Vulcan!" "The what now?"

Mission Profile: Provide the Maquis with enhanced mobility and firepower which may enable them to survive being sold out by the Federation and wiped out by the Dominion. I would try not to engage in direct combat, instead supplying the Maquis with an industrial base (the K'tinga is roughly equivalent to a Constitution Class ship and should have some production capabilities,) in exchange for crewing the ship fully. This may be able to keep their bases more secure. i would also attempt a reverse-engineer of the cloaking device. Attempts will also be made to capture lone enemy vessels for information and use by the Maquis. (anything I'm stronger than that's alone gets knocked out and towed back to a nice cloaked asteroid base.)

here is the command crew I have selected:

First Officer: Zoe Alleyne (Firefly) Competent, cool-headed, cynical and dangerous. Will offer me advice when I need it, and even when I don't want to hear it. With Wash as the pilot, she will have incentive to make good decisions to keep themselves (and the ship) in one piece.

Science Officer: Season 4 John Crichton, (Farscape) I want someone who can get excited about wormholes and stellar phenomena as well as pick up a phaser and start shooting, or build a Nuclear warhead out of junk parts. Should work well for the mission profile and the pop-culture references are a plus. Harvey (Scorpius' nerual clone) may come in handy too.

Security: Aeryn Sun: Smart, strong, fearless, familiar with shipboard procedures and boarding actions, good pilot. She will be invested in Chrichton's survival, and they will stabilize each others more quirky aspects. Plus, her solution to most problems is usually More Guns! which tends to work out ok. Sometimes.

Engineering: Tali (Mass Effect) If I'm picking up a Klingon ship, I want someone who can make it run on nonstandard anything in a pinch. With her experience in the Quarian Flotilla, Tali's a good choice.

Helmsman: Hoban Washburne (Firefly) A Fantastic pilot with strong morals and a good survival instinct. Serving with me will probably be safer than a run to Miranda. Will keep Zoe happier and more functional

Medical: Doctor Ton Phanan (Star Wars Wraith Squadron) A Part-cyborg doctor with a horrible bedside manner and a sarcastic sense of humor. Also a medic for a commando group and can kill with anything in his kit. Can double as a fair pilot.

Diplomat/Counselor role: Miles Vorkosigan, (Vorkosigan Saga) Has had a checkered career, was a diplomat, mercenary, and member of the nobility. Extremely intelligent, fiercely loyal to his shipmates, and stunningly adaptable.

Hope it works.
"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself. Guard your honor. Let your reputation fall where it will. And outlive the bastards."
~Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
AO3 Link | FFN Link
Ahriman238
Sith Marauder

Re: To Boldly Go (Staff your own Starship)RAR

Post by Ahriman238 »

Affiliation: Federation/Klingon (will have to steer clear of the furball between them)

Stock Vessel Class: B'rel (Bird of Prey) A cloak will be important, plus I don't want to have to worry about the Breen.

Ship Name: QuD (Insurrection)

Mission Profile: Exploiting advanced knowledge of the future by raiding crucial infastructure. Priority given to shipbuilding and kectracel-white manufacturing. Will attempt to capture, study and reverse engineer advanced Dominon technology.

First Officer: Colonel-Comissar Ibram Gaunt (Gaunt's Ghosts.) He has experience, though not in space. He cares deeply for his men, but is willing to spend their lives if necessary. He has as much tactical and leadership abilities as I could ask for.

Science Officer: Samantha Carter (Stargate.) As you said, a scientist who can also fight and fight well. She also has some experience in reverse-engineering alien technology, flying space fighters, small group tactics, diplomacy, and destroying stars.

Security: Michael Garibaldi (Babylon 5.) Professional paranoid, security chief and eventual spymaster. Very comfortable in covert ops, gunfights and bar brawls. Will be sure to tell him we're fighting shapeshifters.

Engineering: Kaylee (Firefly.) With all the hardcore badasses on the crew, I figure I could use a sunny personality. The only downside is it will probably take her a while to learn the new systems.

Helmsman: Anakin Skywalker (you know what? You know damn well where he's from.) Best Pilot in another galaxy. Extensive experience as a fighter pilot, and a racer. Unreal reflexes and instincts. Singlehandedly won a battle his first time in a cockpit.

Medical: Dr. Franklin (also Babylon 5.) Mostly I just like his attitude.

Diplomat/Counselor role: Tough Call. I'll also say Miles Vorkosigan, he has a silver-tounge and massive brass balls, and my diplomatic officer will need both. Plus he's a lateral thinker and more-or-less outside the chain of command in this role, so he can feel free to offer suggestions.
If possible, I will seperate these into a diplomat and a counselor, the crew will be under a lot of stress, and while diplomacy is important, I can't see any value to shirking on good psychiatric help.

Runner ups included Daniel Jackson and oddly Ciaphus Cain for the Diplomat role, plus John Sheridan and Mal Reynolds for XO (but I decided neither of them could really be second banana.)
"Any plan which requires the direct intervention of any deity to work can be assumed to be a very poor one."- Newbiespud
Night_stalker
Retarded Spambot

Post by Night_stalker »

Affiliation: Federation (Section 31, if permitted)

Stock Vessel Class: Defiant-Class, Federation

Ship Name: USS Tyto

Mission Profile: To do everything necessary to preserve and protect the stability of the Federation and its allies. At any cost to itself, and its crew. By subterfuge, and by open actions, if need be. For the most part, that means paroling near DS9, with the express purpose of monitoring the wormhole, and laying as many mines as can be rapidly produced my the replicators. In addition, I'll start setting up some cloaked launchers that are armed with Series 5 long-range tactical armor units and are programmed to fire if anything so much as twitches out of the wormhole. (Memory alpha link:http://memory-alpha.org/wiki/Series_5_l ... armor_unit). I will also have my Science Officer working on a bio agent to be introduced into the Dominion's supplies of Ketracel-white.

First Officer: William Adama (nBSG) Tough, clever, and not afraid to call me out if he feels I'm becoming what I'm fighting, namely the Dominion. I've got no issue with his taking command should I die in combat.

Science Officer: Egon Stetmann (Starcraft II WOL) Intelligent, capable of again, acting as a moral compass, and good with technology and biology. Will be perfect for helping to make a bioagent aimed at tainting "white" shipments, weakening Jem'Hadar forces and ensuring victory for the Federation.

Security: Michael Garibaldi (B5) Pragmatic, yet idealist enough to avoid being a oppressive chief, and easily capable of running security onboard my ship. Hey, if he can do security for a 8064.5 meter long station, than this should be a piece of cake!

Engineering: Samantha Carter, Ph.D. (SG-1) Between the fact that she blew up a sun, and the fact that without her, SGC wouldn't be the same galaxy spanning force it became. She's incredibly intelligent, and seems almost written specifically for the role, of chief engineer onboard my warship.

Helmsman: Flight Lieutenant Jeff "Joker" Moreau (Mass Effect) Joker is an excellent pilot and confident to the point of arrogance, wasting no time in pointing out his prowess to others. He's quick to ensure everyone knows his many accomplishments and commendations were all earned, and not due to charity for his medical problems. Admittedly, the newer technology in the Star Trek universe may cure his Vrolik Syndrome, but one can't tell.

Medical: Mordin Solus (Mass Effect 2) I like Mordin, he's pragmatic, and at the same time, he shows a softer side. His experience treating multiple species will be useful, along with his STG experience.

Diplomat/Counselor role: Deleen (B5). Religious, but pragmatic, while mixing in considerable amounts of devotion and atoning for her past sins. Pretty decent choice, in my opinion.
If Dr. Gatling was a nerd, then his most famous invention is the fucking Revenge of the Nerd, writ large...

"Lawful stupid is the paladin that charges into hell because he knows there's evil there."
—anonymous

"Although you may win the occasional battle against us, Vorrik, the Empire will always strike back."
TOSDOC
Padawan Learner
Location: Rotating between Redshirt Hospital and the Stormtrooper School of Marksmanship.

Post by TOSDOC »

Affiliation: Federation

Stock Vessel Class: Defiant-Class

Ship Name: Finagle's Folly

Mission Profile: Search and Rescue, smash and grabs, bailing out Fed outposts. In between, we’re all kicking back with some good drinks. Mostly green ones.

First Officer: Ka D’Argo (Farscape): An experienced tactician and strategist by the end of the Farscape run, I’d feel comfortable with him as a sounding board or leaving him in charge of anything that came up, be it a ground mission or running the ship itself.

Science Officer: The Doctor (Doctor Who): Our first rescue in the pilot episode, he left the TARDIS somewhere in the Gamma Quadrant and needs to hitch a ride. Smarter than everyone else on the ship put together, great sense of humor, and can fix anything or come up with a gadget at the last minute before the shit hits the fan. Have to keep an eye on his altruism as far as his loyalties during a war like this, or otherwise he could stir things up for us.

Security: Dwayne Hicks (Aliens): Leading his squads of Colonial Marines into rescue operations and boarding actions, the level-headed and decisive Hicks and his fellows will be reintroducing the concepts of combined arms and heavy ordnance to the Federation.

Engineering: Montgomery Scott (Star Trek): The other command slots are more adaptable for characters from other stories, but I’d want a Star Trek engineer if this has to be a Star Trek ship. It can be said that Scotty loves his ship even more than he does his commanding officer (The Trouble With Tribbles). That’s the kind of engineer I want working for me, and I never saw a ship suffer a warp core breach on his watch.

Helmsman: Han Solo (Star Wars): Excellent in a stand-up fight and at the helm of a space ship, and no one can barrel-roll a starship like Han. Let's see the Jem'Hadar hit us now.

Medical: Fritz Montoya (Honor Harrington): Introduced as an experienced and dedicated doctor who could save lives while the ship was falling apart around him, very good at battle-triage and “conveyor-belt” surgery during a conflict.

Diplomat/Counselor role: Paul (Paul): We’re going to need a negotiator if there are hostages involved, or at least someone to keep the opposition talking while the rest of us are breaking our way in. The Star Trek Universe could use a little profanity, and I'd love to watch him ask the Founders what the fuck's up with all this fighting. Plus, he can go get bagels and coffee in between...
"In the long run, however, there can be no excuse for any individual not knowing what it is possible for him to know. Why shouldn't he?" --Elliot Grosvenor, Voyage of the Space Beagle
Ahriman238
Sith Marauder

Post by Ahriman238 »

Mission Profile: To do everything necessary to preserve and protect the stability of the Federation and its allies. At any cost to itself, and its crew. By subterfuge, and by open actions, if need be. For the most part, that means paroling near DS9, with the express purpose of monitoring the wormhole, and laying as many mines as can be rapidly produced my the replicators. In addition, I'll start setting up some cloaked launchers that are armed with Series 5 long-range tactical armor units and are programmed to fire if anything so much as twitches out of the wormhole. (Memory alpha link:http://memory-alpha.org/wiki/Series_5_l ... armor_unit). I will also have my Science Officer working on a bio agent to be introduced into the Dominion's supplies of Ketracel-white.
Umm, a minor question. Didn't the weapon you're refering to belong to a Delta Quadrant civilization with no connection to the Federation whatsoever? Besides one of their missiles hijacking a Federation ship some time after this scenario begins, and on the other side of the damn galaxy?

For that matter, where would you get the cloaking devices if you don't start with them?
"Any plan which requires the direct intervention of any deity to work can be assumed to be a very poor one."- Newbiespud
Night_stalker
Retarded Spambot

Post by Night_stalker »

Oops.

Let's just change that to banks of photon torpedo launchers with yields dialed up to their maximum limits.

And the cloaks, we can just remove all references to, and replace with sensor jamming equipment. In theory that should work.

Sorry about that.
If Dr. Gatling was a nerd, then his most famous invention is the fucking Revenge of the Nerd, writ large...

"Lawful stupid is the paladin that charges into hell because he knows there's evil there."
—anonymous

"Although you may win the occasional battle against us, Vorrik, the Empire will always strike back."
PhilosopherOfSorts
Jedi Master
Location: Waynesburg, PA, its small, its insignifigant, its almost West Virginia.

Post by PhilosopherOfSorts »

Affiliation: Federation-ish

Stock Vessel Class: Klingon B'rel class raider.

Ship Name: Gotcherwallet

Mission Profile: Finding and disrupting (capturing if possible, destroying if necessary) supply convoys and commerce for fun and profit. Piracy? Well, that depends, if the Federation will give me a letter of marque, then technically its privateering.

First Officer: Han Solo. This is right up his alley, and his long experiance in evading capture will be enormously valuable. He'll give good advice, and if placed in command, well, needless to say he'd be better at this than I would. That he comes with a Wookie bodyguard (who is no slouch in this area himself) doesn't hurt either.

Science Sensor and Comms Officer: Cortana (Halo). Smart A.I. engineered specifically for intrusion and hacking alien computer systems. Given the craptastic security shown in Star Trek computer systems, she'll get on like a house on fire.

Security: Sergent Major Avery Johnson (Halo). I'm going to need someone to ride herd on a crew of what are, when you get down to it, pirates. I think Johnson would do well in this role.

Engineering: Forge (Marvel). Mutant who intuitively understands technology. It might take him a while to get up to speed with Klingon tech, its not radically out of his experiance.

Helmsman: Wedge Antilles (Star Wars). Fantastic pilot, though the B'Rel is a bit bigger than he's used to, he has flown things around its size before. Also, he's not above a bit of piracy himself.

Medical: Dr. B. Banzai, renowned neurosurgen and swashbuckler.

Diplomat/Counselor role: Corben Dallas. *BLAM* "Anyone else wanna negotiate?"
A fuse is a physical embodyment of zen, in order for it to succeed, it must fail.

Power to the Peaceful

If you have friends like mine, raise your glasses. If you don't, raise your standards.
Agent Sorchus
Jedi Master

Post by Agent Sorchus »

Affiliation: BREEN

BREEN WARSHIP (what is it's canon name? Oh, Breen Warship. Stupid, stupid, stupid.) With cloaking device and a large number of regular torpedoes/ disruptors.

Ship Name: Memories of Never.

Mission Profile: Kill a single ship, before the entry by the Breen into the war. ONE BLASTED SHIP!. Also do my damnedest to provide a better understanding and more complete characterization of the Breen for any potential viewers at home. Otherwise, be a absolute dick and pirate my way through the war.

First Officer: I'm tempted to go with Captain Hiller, but I think I'm going to need the subtle touch of someone more experienced, (and to tell the truth less charismatic, I'm not going against Will Smith in terms of likability.) After a little necromancy, and so long as I don't try and fly close to any Minefields I choose Sarris from Galaxy Quest. Sure he is a little bloody minded, but with my choice in doctor you'll see that I don't care about casualties.

Science Officer: XCOM science division leader, unnamed. Fuck it if xcom doesn't kick the scientific shit out Stargate on most things. (Stargate simply gets too many author level favors for Xcom to really compete with.)

Security: You'd think you need brawns over brains in this position, yet... if a war is going on I want to know that I trust the judgment of the guy in charge of weapons and defenses. I also need someone that is easy going to keep the rest of the crew steady. I choose Riff from Sluggy Freelance. You'd think he would make a good science guy, but I always remember this. A good old hero to save us all sounds good to me.

Engineering: R2D2, 'nuff said.

Helmsman: Hmm, Breen warships are pretty maneuverable, even competing with the Defiant often and winning. If it weren't for that I'd skip it and put someone I can get along with in place. Ehhh, I chose Tyra Miraborg. If nothing else she'll help keep this from being a sausage fest.

Medical: I might be somewhat of a sadist for this choice, but it will be nice not having to worry about death anymore. I choose Urien Rakarth, or rather any Haemonculi. Full on ability to regrow people from a fingernail leaves me not worrying about any-old away mission. Sides what would want to get to close to someone like that during an away-mission?

Diplomat/Counselor role: Might as well pull out a heavy weight here. Hari Seldon. Predictive old bastard isn't above anything even if he isn't the best at keeping a prediction for small groups working.
the engines cannae take any more cap'n
warp 9 to shroomland ~Dalton
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Post by Eternal_Freedom »

Affiliation: Federation

Ship Type: Norway Class (364 metres as per Memory Alpha, close enough)

Ship Name: USS Cerberus

Mission Profile: Behind Enemy Lines Recon/Hit and Run - sneak around and launch annoying little attacks on shipyards, supply convoys and so on.

XO: Commander Cain (oBSG) - a tactical wizard who is used to fighting hit and run and hit and steal attacks against superior forces of roughly equal technology. A fiery officer who is never afraid to fight but is nevertheless willing to submit to his senior officers (even if he does manipulate his CO into action sometimes. But it worked out OK).

Science Officer - Cortana (HALO) seems ideal for this kind of behind-the-scenes skullduggery. Especially against superior forces.

Security: Lt. Colonel John Sheppard (SG: Atlantis) - he's a very capable warrior, a good leader and perfectly willing to sacrifice himself for his team if necessary.

Engineering: Samantha Carter (SG-1) - utterly brilliant and able to make alien tech work with her laptop. Keeps various ships working when they really shoudn't be and the idea of her working with Cortana is pretty awesome too.

Helmsman: Captain Jacob Keyes (HALO) - an incredible skilled astrogator and pilot, he has an apparently intuitive grasp of orbital mechanics, which gives him a big advantage over ST helmsmen. Alos works brilliantly with Cortana and is an expert at fighting against impossible odds.

Medical: Jedi Master Cilghal (SW EU - Fate of the Jedi era) - not only is she a phenomenal healer, she is also a Jedi to boot (and apparently very handy with that lightsaber too).

Diplomat/Counselor: Leia Organa Solo (SW EU - Fate of the Jedi era) - do I really need to explain why she would be a good choice for a diplomat? Not to mention the not-inconsiderable force skills she has learned by the specified period.

Well hurrah. I've got a command crew made up entirely of people used to fighting on the wrong side of very long odds. This is going to serve me very well in the USS Cerberus' Black Ops career.

Also, should we not also have a Tactical Officer? Or is that included in Security? If it is included, Sheppard is still a good choice given we see him flying/fighting various ships, including two different 304's, several Hive Ships and a couple of Aurora Class warships.
Baltar: "I don't want to miss a moment of the last Battlestar's destruction!"
Centurion: "Sir, I really think you should look at the other Battlestar."
Baltar: "What are you babbling about other...it's impossible!"
Centurion: "No. It is a Battlestar."

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
Night_stalker
Retarded Spambot

Post by Night_stalker »

Agent Sorchus wrote:Affiliation: BREEN

BREEN WARSHIP (what is it's canon name? Oh, Breen Warship. Stupid, stupid, stupid.) With cloaking device and a large number of regular torpedoes/ disruptors.

Ship Name: Memories of Never.

Mission Profile: Kill a single ship, before the entry by the Breen into the war. ONE BLASTED SHIP!. Also do my damnedest to provide a better understanding and more complete characterization of the Breen for any potential viewers at home. Otherwise, be a absolute dick and pirate my way through the war.

First Officer: I'm tempted to go with Captain Hiller, but I think I'm going to need the subtle touch of someone more experienced, (and to tell the truth less charismatic, I'm not going against Will Smith in terms of likability.) After a little necromancy, and so long as I don't try and fly close to any Minefields I choose Sarris from Galaxy Quest. Sure he is a little bloody minded, but with my choice in doctor you'll see that I don't care about casualties.

Science Officer: XCOM science division leader, unnamed. Fuck it if xcom doesn't kick the scientific shit out Stargate on most things. (Stargate simply gets too many author level favors for Xcom to really compete with.)

Security: You'd think you need brawns over brains in this position, yet... if a war is going on I want to know that I trust the judgment of the guy in charge of weapons and defenses. I also need someone that is easy going to keep the rest of the crew steady. I choose Riff from Sluggy Freelance. You'd think he would make a good science guy, but I always remember this. A good old hero to save us all sounds good to me.

Engineering: R2D2, 'nuff said.

Helmsman: Hmm, Breen warships are pretty maneuverable, even competing with the Defiant often and winning. If it weren't for that I'd skip it and put someone I can get along with in place. Ehhh, I chose Tyra Miraborg. If nothing else she'll help keep this from being a sausage fest.

Medical: I might be somewhat of a sadist for this choice, but it will be nice not having to worry about death anymore. I choose Urien Rakarth, or rather any Haemonculi. Full on ability to regrow people from a fingernail leaves me not worrying about any-old away mission. Sides what would want to get to close to someone like that during an away-mission?

Diplomat/Counselor role: Might as well pull out a heavy weight here. Hari Seldon. Predictive old bastard isn't above anything even if he isn't the best at keeping a prediction for small groups working.

Really, a bloody Haemonculi as your Doctor? Me thinks the crew'll be more terrified of his... loving ministrations than their injuries.

—anonymous

StarSword
Jedi Knight

Post by StarSword »

Why does it have to be Intrepid-class or smaller? I'd rather use a Prometheus-class myself. I've always had a liking for big capital ships. (In my own sci-fi an Intrepid-class would be a midsize frigate at best.) And I'm pretty sure the K't'inga-class is much bigger than 350 meters (does the K't'inga* that Voyager encounters in the Delta Quadrant not dwarf Voyager?), so I think the OP broke his own rule.

Therefore:

Affiliation: Maquis (rogue Starfleet vessel)

Stock Vessel Class: Prometheus-class with Multi-Vector Attack Mode

Ship Name: USS Mjolnir

Mission Profile: Protect Federation citizens in the DMZ from Cardassian and Dominion depredation, never mind Starfleet Command's unconscionable misinterpretation of the Prime Directive. (Picard's an idiot. :mrgreen:) This may mean fighting off other Starfleet vessels, but a Prometheus-class ship is singularly suited for it: not only does it have enough firepower to tear apart D'deridex-class warbirds without breaking a sweat (under the command of sentient medical programs, no less!), but its MVAM and advanced warp drive means that if pressed, it can flee in three different directions at speeds no other ship in the Alpha Quadrant can match. I'm also bringing no civilians along, because I'm not an idiot.

First Officer: This was the toughest pick; I went through Spock, Zoe Washburne, Carth Onasi, and several others. But I'm gonna have to go with my personal interpretation of Darth Revan (Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic): a tough fighter with military command experience, ingenuity, and personal charisma (killing the headmaster of the Sith Academy on Korriban and turning his apprentice to the light side comes to mind).

Science Officer: Dr. Daniel Jackson, Ph.D. (Stargate). His specialties are archaeology and linguistics, but he picks up enough physics to keep up with Carter.

Security: Canderous Ordo (SW:KOTOR). I pick him based on the fact that a Starfleet vessel's security chief is also the tactical officer, and Canderous is both an accomplished soldier and a smart tactician. (At the Battle of Althir he even disregarded the original battle plan when he saw an opening in an enemy formation.)

Engineering: Mahi Ma (X3: Terran Conflict). The guy rebuilt a multi-thousand-year-old jumpgate system control hub almost from scratch (with the player gathering vast quantities of materials for him).

Helmsman: Capt. Hikaru Sulu (ST:TOS). I notice several people before me chose fighter pilots for the helmsman, but I want a helmsman who is proven at handling capital ships, which fighters are not. (Lt. Tom Paris would be my first choice, but the rules state that 24th-century ST crew members aren't allowed, and the OP didn't disregard this rule.)

Medical: Geentech/Industrial Automaton 2-1B Surgical Droid (The Empire Strikes Back). How much better of a medical officer can you get than a droid who is specifically designed for it? Just in the movie, he treated Luke for hypothermia and frostbite, and at the end he installed Luke's prosthetic hand. (Supposedly the Medical Officer is also meant to be the chief xenobiologist, but I feel that role is better left in the science department.)

Counselor: Jolee Bindo (SW:KOTOR). An ex-Jedi with unconventional ideas on love and the Force. In dialogue with the player, he takes on the role of moral adviser and teacher, essentially becoming the Ebon Hawk's analog to Deanna Troi. Being a Jedi Consular (diplomacy-oriented SWRPG class) doesn't hurt either.

* Okay, so they call it a D7 in dialogue, but I'm fairly sure they used a K't'inga studio model. Since dialogue is fallible, but visuals are not...
Star Carrier by Ian Douglas: Analysis and Talkback

The Vortex Empire: I think the real question is obviously how a supervolcano eruption wiping out vast swathes of the country would affect the 2016 election.
Borgholio: The GOP would blame Obama and use the subsequent nuclear winter to debunk global warming.
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

The K't'inga is roughly the same size as a Constitution as seen in TUC and generally considered to be on par with it performance-wise so if it truly did dwarf VOY that was either an SFX fuckup or a massively larger vessel by the same name.

And since I'm not allowed to use anything bigger than an Intrepid, I'll sulk, then pick a runabout crewed by myself, go to Risa and just sit the war out.
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
StarSword
Jedi Knight

Post by StarSword »

Batman wrote:The K't'inga is roughly the same size as a Constitution as seen in TUC and generally considered to be on par with it performance-wise so if it truly did dwarf VOY that was either an SFX fuckup or a massively larger vessel by the same name.
A screenshot from VOY: "Prophecy" (via Memory Alpha):

Okay, I blew it. Sorry for saying you broke your own rules, DrMckay. :oops: Image :banghead:

I'd still rather captain a Prometheus-class than an Intrepid, though.

The Vortex Empire: I think the real question is obviously how a supervolcano eruption wiping out vast swathes of the country would affect the 2016 election.
Borgholio: The GOP would blame Obama and use the subsequent nuclear winter to debunk global warming.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

Affiliation: Federation/Klingon/Romulan Alliance.

Stock Vessel Class: Intrepid class. Fast, durable, can land on planets. I will however replace the bio-tech. and purchase a cloaking device as soon as possible.

Ship Name: Liberty.

Mission Profile: Hospital ship/refugee evacuation/supply ship/humanitarian aid. Anything that'll let me do good without actually being in combat.

First Officer: Lando. He has managerial skills, and he's an excellent tactician.

Science Officer: No idea.

Security: Obi-wan Kenobi.

Engineering: Chewbacca.

Helmsman: I'll steal TOSDOC's choice of Han Solo.

Medical: the base doctor from Stargate.

Diplomat/Counselor role: Princess Leia. Not really good for the therapist role, but certainly an able diplomat.
lord Martiya
Jedi Master

Post by lord Martiya »

OK, this is mine.

Affiliation: Romulan Star Empire

Stock Vessel Class: D-7 (I think the Romulan variant comes with the plasma torpedo... Now, that's a powerful weapon) with modern cloaking device

Ship Name: Rinti (like my first dog. A good hunter, he was)

Mission Profile: commerce raiding. Meaning I use this cloaking device to hide and seek, then decloak, fire a plasma torpedo at a suitable target and... Well, I think we all know what happens when that hits.

First Officer: Warrius Zero (Cosmo Warrior Zero). Gave freakin' Captain HARLOCK a run for his money when he was told to hunt him, and has experience with handling of big guns and cloaking devices.

Science Officer: Sanada Shiro (Uchuu Senkan Yamato). A very good scientist, and, at least in the manga, bears the distinction of only person to figure how you take a shot from a wave motion gun and not only survive but send it right back at the attacker.

Security: Mace Windu (Star Wars). Come on, try and LIE to him, lie to the mind-reading badass...

Engineering: Anakin Skywalker (Star Wars). Runner-up for security, but his talent for droids sent him in engineering.

Helmsman: Kodai Mamoru (Uchuu Senkan Yamato). If you can successfully use a rocket-propelled ship to ram one with a wave motion engine...

Medical: Doctor Zero (Space Pirate Captain Harlock). If he could keep the drunkards on the Arcadia in good health, he's good enough for me. Comes with knife-vielding cook to defend the kitchens from his cat.

Diplomat/Counselor role: Maetel (Galaxy Express 999). Most males will be too busy kissing the ground she walks on to try and negotiate with her, and she can be a good bastard. The rest of the people? Well, she made a fool of her own mother, a queen who had just created a galaxy-spanning interstellar empire, for about two decades.
Agent Sorchus
Jedi Master

Post by Agent Sorchus »

Night_stalker wrote:Really, a bloody Haemonculi as your Doctor? Me thinks the crew'll be more terrified of his... loving ministrations than their injuries.
Hell half the fun is figuring out the interactions of the crew for this. I'm not certain that the Haemonculi would be worse than Sarris, but either way I can play the good cop in front of the crew with those two playing bad cop.

Also Starsword the Prometheus prototype hasn't been launched until halfway through the dominion war so I don't think it qualifies for 'Stock' class.
the engines cannae take any more cap'n
warp 9 to shroomland ~Dalton
StarSword
Jedi Knight

Post by StarSword »

Agent Sorchus wrote:Also Starsword the Prometheus prototype hasn't been launched until halfway through the dominion war so I don't think it qualifies for 'Stock' class.
I was looking for a true warship along the lines of my own O'Brien-class* battlecruiser. Such vessels are sadly few and far between in Star Trek, particularly in Starfleet. By my own rules** I couldn't use a Dominion ship, so the Prometheus-class is what I came up with. Unfortunately, I got my timing totally mixed up.

The only other option, then, is the Sovereign-class. (The Galaxy-class has way too many design flaws.)

* Not named for Miles O'Brien, mind you. Different universe, different O'Brien.
** Remember, USS Mjolnir is supposed to be a Starfleet ship that defected to the Maquis.

The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

For "true warship", you can always use the Defiant class. Its a bit small, but its within the rules in the OP at least.
StarSword
Jedi Knight

Post by StarSword »

The Romulan Republic wrote:For "true warship", you can always use the Defiant class. Its a bit small, but its within the rules in the OP at least.
Defiant-class doesn't qualify as a capital ship in my opinion. At best it's a heavy gunship or corvette. For one thing, you have to turn the ship to aim the guns. Capital ships typically don't carry only fixed-axis armament.

I guess I have to explain where I'm coming from. My sci-fi is far more influenced by Star Wars than by Star Trek. Multikilometer heavy capital ships are the norm; light capitals frequently are similar in size to a Galaxy-class. The biggest is the Aegis-class command ship (my avatar), which is 7,900 meters long. More common in that navy is the aforementioned O'Brien-class battlecruiser, at 3,000 meters.

But the Alpha Quadrant powers don't build multikilometer capital ships. Closest I can get in Starfleet is a Sovereign- or Prometheus-class.

So, DrMckay, why did you limit us to Intrepid-class size?

Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

Because a) he said so and b) that size vessel seems to make up the majority of Starfleet by that era? They're not exactly overflowing with Galaxies, Nebulas, or even Ambassadors. Heck I'm not sure I've ever seen an Ambassador other than NCC-1701C.
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

StarSword wrote: Defiant-class doesn't qualify as a capital ship in my opinion. At best it's a heavy gunship or corvette. For one thing, you have to turn the ship to aim the guns. Capital ships typically don't carry only fixed-axis armament.
20th./21st. century ships don't. But didn't age of sail ships carry primarily fixed-axis armament, ie canons that could only fire broadside?

Personally, in terms of firepower and the role it performs, I'd class the Defiant as being probably a light cruiser. We can see its able to go toe to to with an Excelsior, after all, which is a capital ship if a somewhat outdated one.
I guess I have to explain where I'm coming from. My sci-fi is far more influenced by Star Wars than by Star Trek. Multikilometer heavy capital ships are the norm; light capitals frequently are similar in size to a Galaxy-class. The biggest is the Aegis-class command ship (my avatar), which is 7,900 meters long. More common in that navy is the aforementioned O'Brien-class battlecruiser, at 3,000 meters.
Fair enough. The Defiant is a warship though- in fact wasn't the whole point of it to be expressly built for that role?
But the Alpha Quadrant powers don't build multikilometer capital ships. Closest I can get in Starfleet is a Sovereign- or Prometheus-class.
Understandable. And given the choice, I'd be tempted to take a Galaxy class. Given the limits in the OP though, a Defiant is probably your best bet as far as a warship is concerned.
TOSDOC
Padawan Learner
Location: Rotating between Redshirt Hospital and the Stormtrooper School of Marksmanship.

Post by TOSDOC »

20th./21st. century ships don't. But didn't age of sail ships carry primarily fixed-axis armament, ie canons that could only fire broadside?
Primarily. There were bowchaser and (less frequently) sternchaser cannons present on many of those capital ships, although of a lighter weight than a typical broadside cannon, so the ship would have to be brought around to bear the main armament towards an enemy.

I wouldn't get too tied up equating the word warship with size. Luke took out the Death Star with an X-Wing, a not too far-fetched idea as it was a bi-plane torpedo bomber that crippled the Bismark. Defiant's primary guns may face forward, but it does have phaser emitters so it's not without multiple firing arcs.
"In the long run, however, there can be no excuse for any individual not knowing what it is possible for him to know. Why shouldn't he?" --Elliot Grosvenor, Voyage of the Space Beagle
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Post by Eternal_Freedom »

Batman wrote:Because a) he said so and b) that size vessel seems to make up the majority of Starfleet by that era? They're not exactly overflowing with Galaxies, Nebulas, or even Ambassadors. Heck I'm not sure I've ever seen an Ambassador other than NCC-1701C.
Riker temporaily commands one during Picard's blockade in Redemption part 2. I think it was the Excalibur.
Baltar: "I don't want to miss a moment of the last Battlestar's destruction!"
Centurion: "Sir, I really think you should look at the other Battlestar."
Baltar: "What are you babbling about other...it's impossible!"
Centurion: "No. It is a Battlestar."

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

StarSword wrote:
The Romulan Republic wrote:For "true warship", you can always use the Defiant class. Its a bit small, but its within the rules in the OP at least.
Defiant-class doesn't qualify as a capital ship in my opinion. At best it's a heavy gunship or corvette. For one thing, you have to turn the ship to aim the guns. Capital ships typically don't carry only fixed-axis armament.
Technically you don't. There are various phaser beam emittors seen in a few episodes and the pulse phasers are seen to have off axis firing while Fighting the Lakota in 'Paradise Lost'

The only thing I'm sure I'd go with is the Ninth Doctor as my science officer. Come to think about it I wouldn't need any other officers. Does he get to bring his personal effects as well?
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

I thought about the Doctor, but I reject him on the grounds that he is dangerous. The Doctor is so cheerful and funny and benevolent most of the time that people may forget he's committed genocide against at least three species by my count. He's also a loose canon who probably won't follow orders. And then, there's his enemies. I don't want to have to fight them as well as the Dominion.

I did briefly consider Rory for my security officer though. :)