What if the Enterprise wasn't alone in First Contact?

PST: discuss Star Trek without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

Baffalo
Jedi Knight

What if the Enterprise wasn't alone in First Contact?

Post by Baffalo »

The question I have is simply this:

What if the Enterprise hadn't been the only ship to fly through the temporal vortex back to 2063? What if they'd been joined by say, an Akira or Galaxy Class.
"I subsist on 3 things: Sugar, Caffeine, and Hatred." -Baffalo late at night and hungry

"Why are you worried about the water pressure? You're near the ocean, you've got plenty of water!" -Architect to our team
TOSDOC
Padawan Learner
Location: Rotating between Redshirt Hospital and the Stormtrooper School of Marksmanship.

Re: What if the Enterprise wasn't alone in First Contact?

Post by TOSDOC »

Assuming they arrived at the same time or later than the Enterprise, the second ship wouldn't have helped any sooner in protecting the Phoenix and its surrounding installations by destroying the Borg sphere. Riker's away team proved competent in repairing the Phoenix and insuring that its mission was carried out, so additional away teams from a second ship would be unnecessary. Picard could sense the Borg on the Enterprise in orbit while on Earth's surface, so it's not impossible he could sense them on another Starfleet vessel as well. This leaves us with several scenarios:

1) The Borg invade only the Enterprise as in the movie while their sphere is destroyed. The second ship takes up a position to save the rest of the E's crew and destroy the Enterprise should the E's crew prove unable to rid the ship of the Borg, in order to allow the Phoenix to continue unimpeded. Lifeboats are taken directly aboard the second ship in order not to be found on Earth's surface in the past, or the crew are simply beamed aboard. The other captain has the option of risking his/her crew to assist Enterprise or keep them aboard his/her ship to avoid further bloodshed and contamination by the Borg, and keep the ship fully manned to protect the Phoenix when it flies.

2) The Borg invade both ships while their sphere is destroyed. The Borg are further outnumbered in this scenario as both Starfleet crews are forced to battle. While experiencing possibly heavy losses, the Starfleet crews prevent the Borg from gaining much of a foothold on either ship as the Borg's resources are spread too thin.

3) The Borg invade only the second ship while their sphere is destroyed. The Enterprise takes up a reciprocal position to destroy the other ship while protecting the Phoenix, IF it finds out about the Borg incursion. Either the Borg assimilate the second vessel much faster without Picard to head them off and take on the Phoenix and the Enterprise, or the crew is still up to the task with help from the Enterprise and the Phoenix still flies. It would be an interesting story if Picard beamed over to head off the incursion and was set at odds with the other captain due to his Borg connections.

4) The Borg take one look at two ships, say "Holy S&%^", and beam down to the planet to wipe out Cochrane and as many others as they can before they are set upon by Starfleet. With Cochrane dead, history is irrevocably altered even if the Phoenix flies and the Vulcans make contact, as history has lost Earth's representative to First Contact. Even if Cochrane lives, how is Starfleet going to explain its presence to the survivors, after they had to beam down with ray guns blazing to wipe out the scary cybernetic Frankensteins?
"In the long run, however, there can be no excuse for any individual not knowing what it is possible for him to know. Why shouldn't he?" --Elliot Grosvenor, Voyage of the Space Beagle
Kythnos
Youngling

Post by Kythnos »

TOSDOC wrote:3) The Borg invade only the second ship while their sphere is destroyed. The Enterprise takes up a reciprocal position to destroy the other ship while protecting the Phoenix, IF it finds out about the Borg incursion. Either the Borg assimilate the second vessel much faster without Picard to head them off and take on the Phoenix and the Enterprise, or the crew is still up to the task with help from the Enterprise and the Phoenix still flies. It would be an interesting story if Picard beamed over to head off the incursion and was set at odds with the other captain due to his Borg connections.
This was my opinion as well. Considering the other ship would not have had any "main characters" and therefore would have been crewed with redshirts it would have fallen instantly, or there about. Add in that with complete access to the ship they send their message off to the collective at that time, and Earth gets Borged no matter what and possibly Vulcan as well.
There's a great difference between potential and developed power. The one is clearly visible and can be awe-inspiring. The other may take a demigod to recognize.
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Post by Eternal_Freedom »

Option number 5:

The second ship, let's say the USS Thunderchild (Akira-class, and I like the name), arrives later than the E-E. Everyone on the enterprise is wondering wher Thunderchild went, but are then occupied with being boarded

Things proceed as they do in the film, until Data fires on the Phoenix. In true deus-ex-machina Star Trek style, just before the torpedoes come close , the vortex opens, Thunderchild flies out, straight into the torpedoes, which cripple her weapon systems and damage her impulse drives. She takes the hits in the fashion of her HG Wells namesake.

Everyone on Enterprise is totally shocked by what's happenned, and Thunderchild's captain takes the chance to

beam the Borg out into space
OR
Send over heavily-armed away teams to secure the apparently empty E-E

Revert to films events, with Thunderchild miraculously repaired, retuning to future-Earth with everything fine and dandy

Option 6: As with option 5, but USS Thunderchild is destroyed by the torpedoes, thereafter following normal STFC events
Baltar: "I don't want to miss a moment of the last Battlestar's destruction!"
Centurion: "Sir, I really think you should look at the other Battlestar."
Baltar: "What are you babbling about other...it's impossible!"
Centurion: "No. It is a Battlestar."

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
OmegaChief
Jedi Knight

Post by OmegaChief »

Eternal_Freedom wrote:Option 6: As with option 5, but USS Thunderchild is destroyed by the torpedoes, thereafter following normal STFC events
Wouldn't that be a little pointless and random? Unless you wanted Data to have really gone over to the Borg side I guess.
This odyssey, this, exodus. Do we journey toward the promised land, or into the valley of the kings? Three decades ago I envisioned a new future for our species, and now that we are on the brink of realizing my dream, I feel only solitude, and regret. Has my entire life's work been a fool's crusade? Have I led my people into this desert, only to die?
-Admiral Aken Bosch, Supreme Commander of the Neo-Terran Front, NTF Iceni, 2367
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Post by Eternal_Freedom »

Yeah I geuss, but if the ship survived it would violate Trek's golden rule that Enterprise/Defiant does all the real work

If Data was still fighting for the good guys, you could have a section showing how guilty he feels, killing an entire starship crew to save the future. Probably a good opportunity for Picard to drone on about how important sacrifice can be
Baltar: "I don't want to miss a moment of the last Battlestar's destruction!"
Centurion: "Sir, I really think you should look at the other Battlestar."
Baltar: "What are you babbling about other...it's impossible!"
Centurion: "No. It is a Battlestar."

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
Molyneux
Emperor's Hand

Post by Molyneux »

TOSDOC wrote:4) The Borg take one look at two ships, say "Holy S&%^", and beam down to the planet to wipe out Cochrane and as many others as they can before they are set upon by Starfleet. With Cochrane dead, history is irrevocably altered even if the Phoenix flies and the Vulcans make contact, as history has lost Earth's representative to First Contact. Even if Cochrane lives, how is Starfleet going to explain its presence to the survivors, after they had to beam down with ray guns blazing to wipe out the scary cybernetic Frankensteins?
I think that this is the least likely scenario; the Borg were already ludicrously outgunned by the Enterprise, and we saw that their idea of "stop First Contact" boiled down to "bombard the surface". They were already giving it everything they had.

As for why? I think they probably had a limited supply of drones, and didn't want to risk it on the surface. Remember, Borg appear to be more vulnerable to physical assault than they are to energy attacks.
Ceci n'est pas une signature.
JasonB
Retarded Spambot

Post by JasonB »

Few Borg get on to USS Enterprise E would have been pick other starship sensors and beam into brig.
Enigma
is a laughing fool.

Post by Enigma »

JasonB wrote:Few Borg get on to USS Enterprise E would have been pick other starship sensors and beam into brig.
Like they did to their own right? durrrr.....
ASVS('97)/SDN('03)

"Whilst human alchemists refer to the combustion triangle, some of their orcish counterparts see it as more of a hexagon: heat, fuel, air, laughter, screaming, fun." Dawn of the Dragons

ASSCRAVATS!
StarSword
Jedi Knight

Post by StarSword »

Necroed thread is necroed.
Star Carrier by Ian Douglas: Analysis and Talkback

The Vortex Empire: I think the real question is obviously how a supervolcano eruption wiping out vast swathes of the country would affect the 2016 election.
Borgholio: The GOP would blame Obama and use the subsequent nuclear winter to debunk global warming.
Alyeska
Federation Ambassador

Post by Alyeska »

Jason, are you stupid or something? Wait, scratch that. You necroed two threads today. Knock this shit off.
"If the facts are on your side, pound on the facts. If the law is on your side, pound on the law. If neither is on your side, pound on the table."

"The captain claimed our people violated a 4,000 year old treaty forbidding us to develop hyperspace technology. Extermination of our planet was the consequence. The subject did not survive interrogation."