Prometheus-class multi-vector assault mode: why?

PST: discuss Star Trek without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Re: Prometheus-class multi-vector assault mode: why?

Post by Batman »

Enigma wrote:
Batman wrote:Is the 'phaser frequencies are so they can fire through their own shields' thing actually canon? I don't recall any mention of that on the actual show. Photorps MAY have the same frequency shenanigans going for them thanks to WHATEVER the torpedo glow is, but vehicles don't, yet Worf and Data's shuttle departed the E-D without anybody mentioning them dropping shields in BoBW.
And even if it is true, it should STILL work for a single ship-fire your phasers at frequency A, the Borg adapt, fire at frequency B, the Borg adapt, fire at frequency C and so on. We know that doesn't work,even on the individual drone level and the fleet in First Contact DIDN'T coordinate their fire so several would hit the cube simultaneously (not even after Picard took over).
A bit off topic but can we assume that the shuttle's shields were adjusted to match the E-D's shield frequency allowing them to go through?
That's certainly a possibility, though there's again no mention of it (or the shuttle's shields even being up as they depart).
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
Sidewinder
Sith Acolyte

Post by Sidewinder »

It seems we're not the only people who think the multi-vector assault mode is too difficult to implement, and therefore more trouble than it's worth.
Star Trek Online Wiki wrote:According to the Star Trek Online ship description, the multi-vector aspect was removed due to moving parts that were easy to damage.
Please do not make Americans fight giant monsters.

Those gun nuts do not understand the meaning of "overkill," and will simply use weapon after weapon of mass destruction (WMD) until the monster is dead, or until they run out of weapons.

They have more WMD than there are monsters for us to fight. (More insanity here.)
Uraniun235
Emperor's Hand

Post by Uraniun235 »

Pfft, I bet that's just the STO developers saying "no, fuck you guys, we're not bothering with multi-vector-wank-mode shit." I remember lurking some of the Bridge Commander forums and seemingly half the posters could not fucking stop masturbating about MVAM and I bet there's a bunch of people out there that really really really wanted to fly a reverse-Voltron in STO too.
"There is no "taboo" on using nuclear weapons." -Julhelm
What is Project Zohar?
"On a serious note (well not really) I did sometimes jump in and rate nBSG episodes a '5' before the episode even aired or I saw it." - RogueIce explaining that episode ratings on SDN tv show threads are bunk
JasonB
Retarded Spambot

Post by JasonB »

Will for one Prometheus class starship when it was not using it multi vector assault mode it faster starship fleet. It could likely maintain topic speed for longer three Defiant class starships. When it divides up into three different starships fact each one of them was smaller. Made each one of them harder target to hit or at least that my theory.
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

What in Valen's name is topic speed? I could come up with a few meanings WRT the forum but I have no idea how that is supposed to apply to Trek canon. How does the number of Defiants maintaining maximum Warp figure into it? Not that DS9 hasn't already established that the Defiant isn't exactly the fastest ship the UFP has thanks to the internal nacelles.

And I'm sorry, did JasonB just try to make the fact that the component ships of that stupid Prometheus class are smaller than the whole ship seem special? I break something apart and the parts are smaller than the whole. Yeah, that's unexpected.
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
StarSword
Jedi Knight

Post by StarSword »

At least that post was reasonably legible. :mrgreen:

EDIT: Oh, and year-old thread is dead.
Star Carrier by Ian Douglas: Analysis and Talkback

The Vortex Empire: I think the real question is obviously how a supervolcano eruption wiping out vast swathes of the country would affect the 2016 election.
Borgholio: The GOP would blame Obama and use the subsequent nuclear winter to debunk global warming.
Batman
Emperor's Hand

Post by Batman »

Fuck. I didn't even notice that. :oops:
StarSword
Jedi Knight

Post by StarSword »

Batman wrote:Fuck. I didn't even notice that. :oops:
Wasn't you who necroed it. No worries.
Star Carrier by Ian Douglas: Analysis and Talkback

The Vortex Empire: I think the real question is obviously how a supervolcano eruption wiping out vast swathes of the country would affect the 2016 election.
Borgholio: The GOP would blame Obama and use the subsequent nuclear winter to debunk global warming.
Alyeska
Federation Ambassador

Post by Alyeska »

Thread locked. Stop acting like an idiot JasonB. Do not resurrect dead threads.
"If the facts are on your side, pound on the facts. If the law is on your side, pound on the law. If neither is on your side, pound on the table."

"The captain claimed our people violated a 4,000 year old treaty forbidding us to develop hyperspace technology. Extermination of our planet was the consequence. The subject did not survive interrogation."