ONGEG Video: All Good Things

PST: discuss Star Trek without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

Sonnenburg
Official Dave Barry Clone

ONGEG Video: All Good Things

Post by Sonnenburg »

The next step in the Q arc closes out TNG. Two part video, both parts are on this page. Picard gets flung back and forth through time until he destroys mankind, but then it never happens.

Video
Chuck

Alyeska
Federation Ambassador

Re: ONGEG Video: All Good Things

Post by Alyeska »

Good review as always. And it does a good job noting where it all went right in that episode.
"If the facts are on your side, pound on the facts. If the law is on your side, pound on the law. If neither is on your side, pound on the table."

"The captain claimed our people violated a 4,000 year old treaty forbidding us to develop hyperspace technology. Extermination of our planet was the consequence. The subject did not survive interrogation."
Ghost Rider
Spirit of Vengeance

Post by Ghost Rider »

I enjoyed this as with all your reviews be it the clunkers or the gems. A couple things I enjoyed that you noted is two bits. One, is the technobabble bit as well as Crusher's "In English" bit. The dislike of the cliche is to make some long winded line needs to be translated for no other reason then have both a character look dumb for spewing but the need to make long winded nonsense. The other is noting how much TNG pushed into pop culture versus 90% of science fiction.

Other points I enjoyed is that how you noted that this ended like how series should usually end. People wanting more, and on a high note. Also using Queen was a nice touch near the end given what the song is, and what they were trying to fix :mrgreen: .

Still trying to wonder how Night in Sickbay got a Hugo nominee....but meh.
MM /CF/WG/BOTM/JL/Original Warsie/ACPATHNTDWATGODW FOREVER!!

Sometimes we can choose the path we follow. Sometimes our choices are made for us. And sometimes we have no choice at all

Saying and doing are chocolate and concrete
Glom
Youngling

Post by Glom »

Far too little credit is given to the first courtroom scene. It was a marvellous bit of ham from DeLancie.
Serafina
Sith Acolyte

Post by Serafina »

Yay, more crack ;)

What to say...good episode, good review and a very good recap at the end of the review.
SoS:NBA GALE Force
"Destiny and fate are for those too weak to forge their own futures. Where we are 'supposed' to be is irrelevent." - Sir Nitram
"The world owes you nothing but painful lessons" - CaptainChewbacca
"The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of a mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one." - Wilhelm Stekel
"In 1969 it was easier to send a man to the Moon than to have the public accept a homosexual" - Broomstick

Divine Administration - of Gods and Bureaucracy (Worm/Exalted)
Bounty
Emperor's Hand

Post by Bounty »

The "annoying character of the week" quote on-screen... either I'm missing the joke or the grammar in that sentence is off.

Good review, I was surprised to see the score considering the episode does have issues.

I always liked the last lines of the series:
PICARD
So. Five card stud, nothing wild.
The sky's the limit.
CaptainChewbacca
Browncoat Wookiee

Post by CaptainChewbacca »

Nice, I loved the superhero/villain names, they were hilarious.
Stuart: The only problem is, I'm losing track of which universe I'm in.
You kinda look like Jesus. With a lightsaber.- Peregrin Toker
ImageImage
Drooling Iguana
Sith Marauder

Post by Drooling Iguana »

I'm just disappointed that they didn't get Cowbell Midget to reprise his role.
"Stop! No one can survive these deadly rays!"
"These deadly rays will be your death!"
- Thor and Akton, Starcrash

"Before man reaches the moon your mail will be delivered within hours from New York to California, to England, to India or to Australia by guided missiles.... We stand on the threshold of rocket mail."
- Arthur Summerfield, US Postmaster General 1953 - 1961
tim31
Sith Devotee

Post by tim31 »

Yeah, that does suck.

This was my favorite review to date, because I taped the episode when it originally aired, and watched it over and over until the tape wore out, but I still missed some of the nuances that Chuck picked up on.
Bounty wrote:I always liked the last lines of the series:
PICARD
So. Five card stud, nothing wild.
The sky's the limit.
In full agreement.

Even though I enjoyed Generations, I will always feel that it trys to cheapen the events of All Good Things.
lol, opsec doesn't apply to fanfiction. -Aaron

PRFYNAFBTFC
CAPTAIN OF MFS SAMMY HAGAR
ImageImage
Drooling Iguana
Sith Marauder

Post by Drooling Iguana »

It cheapens the events of The Undiscovered Country (another great Trek finale,) too.
"Stop! No one can survive these deadly rays!"
"These deadly rays will be your death!"
- Thor and Akton, Starcrash

"Before man reaches the moon your mail will be delivered within hours from New York to California, to England, to India or to Australia by guided missiles.... We stand on the threshold of rocket mail."
- Arthur Summerfield, US Postmaster General 1953 - 1961
Enosh
Redshirt

Post by Enosh »

great review, the part with naming all the "judge characters" was awesome
but I realy wouldn't rank stargate the same as babylon 5 or DS9, it got way more popularity and people outside of the sci-fi fandom are quite familiar with it. They might not know everything, but most people recognise atleast the gate when they see it
Bounty
Emperor's Hand

Post by Bounty »

but I realy wouldn't rank stargate the same as babylon 5 or DS9, it got way more popularity and people outside of the sci-fi fandom are quite familiar with it. They might not know everything, but most people recognise atleast the gate when they see it
One, the shift key is your friend. As is punctuation.

Two, what planet do you live on where Stargate is in the public consciousness?
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

His friends all like Stargate. QED.

Normal people have no idea what the Stargate is, and if they do it's due to the hilarious 90s movie.

EDIT - Actually, why do people say BEST FINALE OF ALL MODERN TREK SERIES? The old series didn't HAVE a finale and if it did, it SUCKED. If All Good Things is the best 'modern finale' it's the best fucking finale. What's the point of splitting hairs?
Bounty
Emperor's Hand

Post by Bounty »

The only person I know IRL who knows what Stargate is has the theme tune as a ringtone and Teal'c on her desktop. Totally general public.
CaptainChewbacca
Browncoat Wookiee

I watched Dennis Miller's last comedy special, he made a Stargate SG1 joke and managed to make 500 people completely silent.
ImageImage
tim31
Sith Devotee

Post by tim31 »

Did you laugh out loud at that? I probably would have?
lol, opsec doesn't apply to fanfiction. -Aaron

PRFYNAFBTFC
CAPTAIN OF MFS SAMMY HAGAR
ImageImage
Ted C
Sith Marauder

Post by Ted C »

Chuck, you overlooked another problem with the anti-time effect. Supposedly Geordi grows working eyes because of the "anti-time eruption", but Geordi was born blind. His blindness is apparently due to a genetic anomaly or congenital condition, so merely having time reversed shouldn't cause his eyes to spontaneously start working again, because they NEVER worked properly.

Still a great review.
"This is supposed to be a happy occasion... Let's not bicker and argue about who killed who."
-- The King of Swamp Castle, Monty Python and the Holy Grail

"Nothing of consequence happened today. " -- Diary of King George III, July 4, 1776

"This is not bad; this is a conspiracy to remove happiness from existence. It seeks to wrap its hedgehog hand around the still beating heart of the personification of good and squeeze until it is stilled."
-- Chuck Sonnenburg on Voyager's "Elogium"
Gil Hamilton
Tipsy Space Birdie

Post by Gil Hamilton »

Yeah, wasn't there that episode early one where they went to a human colony that was into hardcore eugenics and Geordi pointed out to their chief engineer that he would have likely have been aborted on that world due to the fact that his blindness was congenital, then laid it on thick when his visor turned out to hold the inspiration they were looking for? "Masterpiece Society" or something like that.

Makes you wonder why just his eyes went back in time. Maybe they are like Dune "stone burners" which are nuclear weapons that work especially well on eyeballs and completely blowing up planets in the same weapon, not not much else.
"Show me an angel and I will paint you one." - Gustav Courbet

"Quetzalcoatl, plumed serpent of the Aztecs... you are a pussy." - Stephen Colbert

"Really, I'm jealous of how much smarter than me he is. I'm not an expert on anything and he's an expert on things he knows nothing about." - Me, concerning a bullshitter
CaptainChewbacca
Browncoat Wookiee

tim31 wrote:Did you laugh out loud at that? I probably would have?
I laughed in sympathy. I've done bad stand-up before, there's really nothing so painful as NOT hearing laugher.
ImageImage
Zor
Sith Acolyte

Post by Zor »

In general good, although i am going to say that i did not get the Narn joke at the begining of Part II.

Zor
HAIL ZOR! WE'LL BLOW UP THE OCEAN!
Heros of Cybertron-HAB-Keeper of the Vicious pit of Allosauruses-King Leighton-I, United Kingdom of Zoria: SD.net World/Tsar Mikhail-I of the Red Tsardom: SD.net Kingdoms
WHEN ALL HELL BREAKS LOOSE ON EARTH, ALL EARTH BREAKS LOOSE ON HELL
Terran Sphere
The Art of Zor
Alan Bolte
Sith Devotee

Post by Alan Bolte »

I didn't either at first, probably because Chuck didn't include a voice clip for Tomalak, played by Andreas Katsulas, AKA G'Kar.
Any job worth doing with a laser is worth doing with many, many lasers. -Khrima
There's just no arguing with some people once they've made their minds up about something, and I accept that. That's why I kill them. -Othar
Ted C
Sith Marauder

Post by Ted C »

Gil Hamilton wrote:Yeah, wasn't there that episode early one where they went to a human colony that was into hardcore eugenics and Geordi pointed out to their chief engineer that he would have likely have been aborted on that world due to the fact that his blindness was congenital, then laid it on thick when his visor turned out to hold the inspiration they were looking for? "Masterpiece Society" or something like that.
That's the episode. I believe he said that if born on their world, he would have been terminated as a fertilized cell, meaning that his blindness is genetic, and not just a developmental error.
"This is supposed to be a happy occasion... Let's not bicker and argue about who killed who."
-- The King of Swamp Castle, Monty Python and the Holy Grail

"Nothing of consequence happened today. " -- Diary of King George III, July 4, 1776

"This is not bad; this is a conspiracy to remove happiness from existence. It seeks to wrap its hedgehog hand around the still beating heart of the personification of good and squeeze until it is stilled."
-- Chuck Sonnenburg on Voyager's "Elogium"
Patrick Degan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Patrick Degan »

Alan Bolte wrote:I didn't either at first, probably because Chuck didn't include a voice clip for Tomalak, played by Andreas Katsulas, AKA G'Kar.
"Picard, YOUR TIME HAS COME AND GONE —IT'S OUR TURN NOW!"
When ballots have fairly and constitutionally decided, there can be no successful appeal back to bullets.
—Abraham Lincoln

People pray so that God won't crush them like bugs.
—Dr. Gregory House

Oil an emergency?! It's about time, Brigadier, that the leaders of this planet of yours realised that to remain dependent upon a mineral slime simply doesn't make sense.
—The Doctor "Terror Of The Zygons" (1975)
CaptainChewbacca
Browncoat Wookiee

Drooling Iguana wrote:I'm just disappointed that they didn't get Cowbell Midget to reprise his role.
I think the actor died in the intervening 7 years.
ImageImage
une
Padawan Learner

Post by une »

Chuck, now that you've finished the Q arc for TNG, are you planning to do any arcs for the other series? Like a prophets arc for DS9 or a Borg arc for Voyager?