Most powerful being in Star Trek

PST: discuss Star Trek without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

Bilbo
Jedi Master

Most powerful being in Star Trek

Post by Bilbo »

So we have had several powerful beings make appearances in Star Trek. Which one do you think is the most powerful? The choices as I remember them (I may be missing some) are:

The Q - They go where they want and pretty much do what they want. They are mortal though and exist within time.

The Dowd - He called himself a creature of deception but his powers to deceive pale in comparison to his powers to destroy. An entire civilization destroyed with one angry thought.

The Prophets - They exist outside of time which I see as making fighting them quite hard. They can possess and control people (Sisko's Mom) and they can either destroy entire fleets or throw them into some far off time period (not really sure what happened to the Dominion Fleet)

Apollo - Greek God, slapped around the Enterprise pretty good.

Trelane - A child with the power to screw with the Enterprise pretty well. Even without his mechanical mirror he was able to keep the Enterprise from escaping the solar system his planet was in.

So which one of these is the most powerful? Opinion?

Also to make things easier to debate. Anything a character says they can do or says they did is assumed to be an actual power they have unless on-screen evidence contradicts it. So while the Q call themself all knowing it is proven at times that they are not.
I KILL YOU!!!
Samuel
Sith Marauder

Re: Most powerful being in Star Trek

Post by Samuel »

Dowd. He actually destroys a civilization. The Q get taken down in The Q and the Grey and the rest aren't as impressive.
NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

Assuming the Dowd was telling the truth about, well, anything, then he has the most definately destructive demonstrated feats. But that's not really saying much.
Samuel wrote:Dowd. He actually destroys a civilization. The Q get taken down in The Q and the Grey and the rest aren't as impressive.
How many civilizations do you think the Q took down in that episode, spawning supernovae left right and center? Similarly, Amanda, a barely trained Q, was able to clean up a near-lethally polluted planet's atmosphere with her magic in a few seconds, and Q himself was able to move an entire moon that was otherwise about to destroy a civilization. I wouldn't say that it's in any way beyond their demonstrated power.

Frankly, there's no way to quantify these creatures.

The Organians were left out here, and probably shouldn't have been. They demonstrated a bredth of effect far beyond what the Dowd managed, he only eradicated a single podunk set of nobodies, they disabled every weapon and weapons console in the entire Federation and Klingon Empire is rather impressive. Of course, they did it collectively, so it's all unquantifiable handwaving and rainbows.
Superior Moderator - BotB - HAB [Drill Instructor]-Writer- Stardestroyer.net's resident Star-God.
"We believe in the systematic understanding of the physical world through observation and experimentation, argument and debate and most of all freedom of will." ~ Stargate: The Ark of Truth
Bilbo
Jedi Master

Post by Bilbo »

Ah yes I did forget about the Organians. What did happen to them? Did they ever get mentioned again after their entrance in the TOS episode?
I KILL YOU!!!
Uraniun235
Emperor's Hand

Post by Uraniun235 »

The Trouble With Tribbles mentions the Organian Peace Treaty. Beyond that, I can't think of any other mention of them, except in comics and books.
"There is no "taboo" on using nuclear weapons." -Julhelm
What is Project Zohar?
"On a serious note (well not really) I did sometimes jump in and rate nBSG episodes a '5' before the episode even aired or I saw it." - RogueIce explaining that episode ratings on SDN tv show threads are bunk
NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

Bilbo wrote:Ah yes I did forget about the Organians. What did happen to them? Did they ever get mentioned again after their entrance in the TOS episode?
As mentioned above, they're referenced again, which puts them head and shoulders above all the other omnipotents except the Q (and the Prophets, but they're really not worthy of consideration here) in terms of return appearances. They were also used to introduce the concept of the Federation-Klingon alliance.
Superior Moderator - BotB - HAB [Drill Instructor]-Writer- Stardestroyer.net's resident Star-God.
"We believe in the systematic understanding of the physical world through observation and experimentation, argument and debate and most of all freedom of will." ~ Stargate: The Ark of Truth
Bilbo
Jedi Master

Post by Bilbo »

NecronLord wrote:
Bilbo wrote:Ah yes I did forget about the Organians. What did happen to them? Did they ever get mentioned again after their entrance in the TOS episode?
As mentioned above, they're referenced again, which puts them head and shoulders above all the other omnipotents except the Q (and the Prophets, but they're really not worthy of consideration here) in terms of return appearances. They were also used to introduce the concept of the Federation-Klingon alliance.
But in Yesterdays Enterprise we see a huge war between the Federation and the Klingon Empire that has killed billions if I remember the quote right. So either the Organians are asleep at the wheel, left town, or were bluffing.
I KILL YOU!!!
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

The Organians impossed the treaty on the UFP + Klingon's because they tried to get the Organia's world involved.

As long as they were not that stupid, and the war happened a few years later (by the looks of it, at least 5 decades), the Organians probably didn't give a sh¡t about it
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.
NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

Bilbo wrote:But in Yesterdays Enterprise we see a huge war between the Federation and the Klingon Empire that has killed billions if I remember the quote right. So either the Organians are asleep at the wheel, left town, or were bluffing.
The United States doesn't stop Darfur. Does that mean they lack the ability to destroy the government and army of the Sudan? No, it means they don't care to.

The Organians meted out their peace treaty when the Klingons were dumb enough to try and annex them and excecute their dignitaries. I doubt even the Klingons are stupid enough to try that twice after they realised the planet in question is home to uberbeings.

What's more, that's an untimeline. It happened, and then unhappened. You're assuming they see things in a mundane fashion - Guinan didn't, after all.
Shrykull
Jedi Master

Post by Shrykull »

The Q - They go where they want and pretty much do what they want. They are mortal though and exist within time.
They are apparently only mortal if they commit suicide or are killed by the special weapons seen in The Q and the Grey. Video games aren't canon, but in Star Trek Borg Q says he exists outside the space time continuum, and he is able to stop time as he did in Hide and Q. I can't remember off the top of my head, but hasn't Q snapped his fingers before and everything around him freezes in time? It happened once in the game I mentioned.

The Dowd - He called himself a creature of deception but his powers to deceive pale in comparison to his powers to destroy. An entire civilization destroyed with one angry thought.
Yeah, but not as powerful as Q.
The Prophets - They exist outside of time which I see as making fighting them quite hard. They can possess and control people (Sisko's Mom) and they can either destroy entire fleets or throw them into some far off time period (not really sure what happened to the Dominion Fleet)
I would have thought it would have been a cool idea if the Prophets send the Dominion fleet to the Delta Quadrant where Voyager would meet them. And the crew of Voyager acted as though they never heard of the dominion, even though they were sent to the Delta Quadrant after the event of the DS9 episode The Search. And there is a Jem'Hadar fighter in a game Kes was playing once.

Apollo - Greek God, slapped around the Enterprise pretty good.
All they had to do was destroy his temple to stop him, with the Enterprise's phasers. McCoy said he had an extra organ in his chest that he couldn't identify. Even after they destroy the temple, he still plays Greek God, and begs the other "gods" to take him back and leaves. Maybe he could have done more, but he lost his faith that "mortals" would still worship him and decided to leave.
Trelane - A child with the power to screw with the Enterprise pretty well. Even without his mechanical mirror he was able to keep the Enterprise from escaping the solar system his planet was in.
Yeah, he seemed pretty powerful, until his mommy and daddy showed up and punished him.
saurc
Redshirt

Post by saurc »

What about pah-wraiths, they can take on the prophets.

Also many random powerful beings appearing only in 1 episode, for eg. the creature in TNG: Where silence has lease.
Bounty
Emperor's Hand

Post by Bounty »

Also many random powerful beings appearing only in 1 episode, for eg. the creature in TNG: Where silence has lease.
Who only demonstrated any sort of power *within* that bubble of his. Moreover, even in his own domain his powers were limited; his ship facsimiles were non-functional and poorly copied, he didn't have the power to take his 500 test subjects by force, and he couldn't even stop the self-destruct timer. Most of Nagilum's "powers" were just smoke and mirrors - impressive smoke and mirrors, sure, and a ship stuck in that bubble is screwed, but that's nothing a "do not enter" sign can't fix..