What happens if you dephase cloak inside something?

PST: discuss Star Trek without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

kojikun
BANNED

What happens if you dephase cloak inside something?

Post by kojikun »

Well? Thatd be funny if a phasecloaked enterprise ended up welded to a big rock or something. LOL :lol:

But what would happen to the object itself if there was all the sudden double the density of matter?
Sì! Abbiamo un' anima! Ma è fatta di tanti piccoli robot.
Shinova
Emperor's Hand

Post by Shinova »

That one episode with the phase cloak showed things welded together. Or I'm not entirely sure. One thing that could happen is that the original mass (the asteroid) gets eliminate somehow (Trek throws COE out the window so who cares) and the dephased mass replaces it.

But I think the most likely thing is that the two undergo chemical reaction and form a new substance.
jaeger115
Rabid Monkey

Post by jaeger115 »

Well, I think the subatomic substance of the Enterprise E would be interpresed with the rock at the tertiary subspace level with unusual harmonic flux... aww dammit I can't make good technobabble like Data can... :D
Concession accepted - COMMENCE PRIMARY IGNITION
Elite Warrior Monk of SD.net
BotM. Demolition Monkey
"I don't believe in God, any more than I believe in Mother Goose." - Clarence Darrow
HAB Special-Ops and Counter-Intelligence Agent
kojikun
BANNED

Post by kojikun »

if two atoms are suddenly made to occupy nearly the same exact position, wouldnt the atoms fuse? or would the nucleus of one be forced off but the electrons remain as ionising electrons?

thatd be really cool if we could test this for real .. >D
jaeger115
Rabid Monkey

Post by jaeger115 »

if two atoms are suddenly made to occupy nearly the same exact position, wouldnt the atoms fuse? or would the nucleus of one be forced off but the electrons remain as ionising electrons?
imagine BILLIONS of pairs of atoms sharing the same space! If you're right, we'd see a lot of electricity in the newly fused material! :lol:
BotM. Demolition Monkey
"I don't believe in God, any more than I believe in Mother Goose." - Clarence Darrow
jaeger115
Rabid Monkey

Post by jaeger115 »

And the crew might be fried by the MIGHTY ROCK-LIGHTNING OF DEATH!!!!
BotM. Demolition Monkey
kojikun
BANNED

Post by kojikun »

Actually we'd probably get a highly unstable atom. I think there may be a limit to how many electrons an atom can hold. At some point the density at the core would block all quanta holding electrons in orbit around the nucleus.

But thats only if the core remains the same number. If the atoms fuses entirely the atom might be incredibly unstable and just break apart release lots of neutrons and such. Or it might be stable through some bizzare overlap of strong nuclear fields. The nucleus might become one giant uberparticle made of hundreds of quarks :p
beyond hope
Jedi Council Member

Post by beyond hope »

Most of a solid object is actually empty space... there may not be that many atoms that would dephase right on top of each other. I'm going on hazy high-school level memories of chemistry here, but any atoms that fused together would most likely have such a high atomic weight that they'd immediately start decaying. That's assuming they even *could* fuse together that way instead of the nucleus exploding and showering the area with loose neutrons. Some of the resulting nucleii would probably have half-lives of minutes or seconds. Whatever the result is, there's no way the crew is surviving it. The bright side is, having your head suddenly become one with an asteroid would sever the neural connections so fast you'd never realize anything had happened.
jaeger115
Rabid Monkey

Post by jaeger115 »

Yes, there is a limit to how many electrons an atom can hold.

And this "uberparticle" will make good armor as long as it's not radioactive.
BotM. Demolition Monkey
jaeger115
Rabid Monkey

Post by jaeger115 »

Most of a solid object is actually empty space... there may not be that many atoms that would dephase right on top of each other. I'm going on hazy high-school level memories of chemistry here, but any atoms that fused together would most likely have such a high atomic weight that they'd immediately start decaying. That's assuming they even *could* fuse together that way instead of the nucleus exploding and showering the area with loose neutrons. Some of the resulting nucleii would probably have half-lives of minutes or seconds. Whatever the result is, there's no way the crew is surviving it. The bright side is, having your head suddenly become one with an asteroid would sever the neural connections so fast you'd never realize anything had happened.
Are you saying the resultant material will glow in the dark due to extreme radioactivity?
BotM. Demolition Monkey
beyond hope
Jedi Council Member

Post by beyond hope »

glow in the dark might be overstating it, but to my knowledge any element over 86 (radon) on the periodic table is unstable. I believe Plutonium is the highest naturally occuring one you'll find... anything higher on the periodic table has a half-life measured in hours or even seconds. I'm not sure whether two nuclei suddenly forced to share the same spot would fuse or whether they'd annihilate each other in reality, but apparently in the Treknoverse they can merge without the violent explosion I'd expect. The merged material would have to be at least somewhat radioactive though if any of the atoms composing it either merge into trans-uranic elements or else split. In composition i'd think it would be more like a wierd ore of whatever the asteroid was combined with the ship (and, of course, the crew.)
Patrick Degan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Patrick Degan »

There is plenty of empty space between atoms, and no conditions which would cause atoms to superimpose upon one another or fuse together. The materialised starship would end up becoming molecularly fused to the object it was intersecting. Of course, it would not be possible afterward to seperate the two objects, and there would be a very large degree of molecular displacement which would tear up those parts of the ship's structure wherever the interface zones are.
Raxmei
Rabid Monkey

Post by Raxmei »

Decloaking should force the atoms into otherwise impossible proximity. from there, the electromagnetic repulsion between atoms should violently force them apart. I think that would produce an explosion.

What actually happens is seen in the episode "Pegasus." the two objects merge together uneventfully, with no explanation as to what happens to the excess material.
I prepared Explosive Runes today.
kojikun
BANNED

Post by kojikun »

When I say unstable I didn't mean radioactive, I mean the atom wouldn't be able to hold the massive negative charge. And whats more, the sudden appearance of a SECOND nucleus might result in said nucleus being shunted faster then you can blink. ::shrug::
Lord Pounder
Pretty Hate Machine

Post by Lord Pounder »

Did that not happen once, I seem to remember something about Rikers 1st captain testing a phase cloak on his ship and causing a mutiny. The mutiny ended up with the ship trapped inside an asteroid.
RIP Yosemite Bear
Gone, Never Forgotten
Stormbringer
King of Democracy

Post by Stormbringer »

beyond hope wrote:glow in the dark might be overstating it, but to my knowledge any element over 86 (radon) on the periodic table is unstable. I believe Plutonium is the highest naturally occuring one you'll find...
Actually, Uranium is the highest naturally occuring element. Plutonium is artificial.
beyond hope
Jedi Council Member

Post by beyond hope »

Thanks, Stormbringer.

Something else I didn't think about when I posted before: the power source of Federation ships uses antimatter. So, if the warp core, antimatter fuel pods, or the systems maintaining containment on either materialize within something solid... boom.
kojikun
BANNED

Post by kojikun »

hope: that would be BAD.. especially since the mixture would be 1:1 and wouldnt suffer from explosive seperation of the AM fuel from the rest of the matter. youd get 100% efficiency..