OVEG: Fair Trade

PST: discuss Star Trek without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

Sonnenburg
Official Dave Barry Clone

OVEG: Fair Trade

Post by Sonnenburg »

This is the one where Neelix reaches the end of space that he knows, so he turns to a life of crime, apparently thinking that will please Janeway.

Review
Chuck

neoolong
Dead Sexy 'Shroom

Re: OVEG: Fair Trade

Post by neoolong »

I spent the last couple of days watching the video reviews. Hilarious.

As for this episode, I'd have to agree that the mistakes the characters make are at least human and mostly believable. Even if the thought of Neelix getting thrown off the ship is rather delightful.

How did Neelix manage to convince the captain to let him borrow a shuttle? And if the mapmaker guy says noone has a map, why would Neelix think that his friend could get one? Because he's a better map-getter than the mapmaker guy? That's some tough competition for that mapmaker guy.
Member of the BotM. @( !.! )@
Darth Servo
Emperor's Hand

Post by Darth Servo »

What? You didn't even mention the bit at the end where the bar rodent insists he has never lied to Janeway prior to this episode :wtf:
"everytime a person is born the Earth weighs just a little more."--DMJ on StarTrek.com
"You see now you are using your thinking and that is not a good thing!" DMJay on StarTrek.com

"Watching Sarli argue with Vympel, Stas, Schatten and the others is as bizarre as the idea of the 40-year-old Virgin telling Hugh Hefner that Hef knows nothing about pussy, and that he is the expert."--Elfdart
Big Orange
Emperor's Hand

Post by Big Orange »

That all too familiar green flame explosion was also used in TNG's pretty excellent "Disaster", in one of the Enterprise-D's loading bay areas.
'Alright guard, begin the unnecessarily slow moving dipping mechanism...' - Dr. Evil

'Secondly, I don't see why "income inequality" is a bad thing. Poverty is not an injustice. There is no such thing as causes for poverty, only causes for wealth. Poverty is not a wrong, but taking money from those who have it to equalize incomes is basically theft, which is wrong.' - Typical Randroid

'I think it's gone a little bit wrong.' - The Doctor
skies
Youngling

Post by skies »

neoolong wrote:I spent the last couple of days watching the video reviews. Hilarious.

As for this episode, I'd have to agree that the mistakes the characters make are at least human and mostly believable. Even if the thought of Neelix getting thrown off the ship is rather delightful.

How did Neelix manage to convince the captain to let him borrow a shuttle? And if the mapmaker guy says noone has a map, why would Neelix think that his friend could get one? Because he's a better map-getter than the mapmaker guy? That's some tough competition for that mapmaker guy.
I guess that Neelix believes own propaganda about Talaxians (especially himself) being super-explorers, so of course his buddy will have maps no-one else believes even exists :wink:. Seriously though, Neelix was probably just desperate enough to fall for even the most obvious con; and it's not as if Neelix has stellar critical thinking skills even at his 'best'.

Has anyone ever noticed Neelix's similarity to Snarf from the Thundercats animated series (mid 80's kiddie sci-fi)?
Tsyroc
Emperor's Hand

Post by Tsyroc »

skies wrote: Has anyone ever noticed Neelix's similarity to Snarf from the Thundercats animated series (mid 80's kiddie sci-fi)?
:lol:

I knew he seemed familiar for some reason.
By the pricking of my thumb,
Something wicked this way comes.
Open, locks,
Whoever knocks.
CaiusWickersham
Padawan Learner

Post by CaiusWickersham »

Hey, don't sully the name of Snarf by comparing him to Neelix. Snarf at least had some useful moments in the show.
Ryushikaze
Jedi Master

Post by Ryushikaze »

CaiusWickersham wrote:Hey, don't sully the name of Snarf by comparing him to Neelix. Snarf at least had some useful moments in the show.
Snarfer, then.

You gotta admit that one, at least.
CaiusWickersham
Padawan Learner

Post by CaiusWickersham »

Ryushikaze wrote:
CaiusWickersham wrote:Hey, don't sully the name of Snarf by comparing him to Neelix. Snarf at least had some useful moments in the show.
Snarfer, then.

You gotta admit that one, at least.
Snarfer was a technician so fail there too. Neelix is the absolute in wastes of organic compounds.