Trek XI reveal begins

PST: discuss Star Trek without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

Jon
Jedi Council Member

Trek XI reveal begins

Post by Jon »

Given the marketing campaign is going to start kicking off shortly, and I don't want to necro an old thread... here's the first image from the movie;

Bounty
Emperor's Hand

Re: Trek XI reveal begins

Post by Bounty »

Checkov, Kirk, Scotty, Bones, Sulu, Uhura?

Dam, they nailed it. Style-wise, at least. Those uniforms look perfect - they're definitely TOS, but new enough to be... new. And the cast looks great. Now they only need to be able to, well, act and we're all set.

The more I see of this movie (and, to be honest, the more I hear ubernerd Pegg hype it up), the more psyched I am about it.
Last edited by Bounty on 2008-10-15 06:06pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jon
Jedi Council Member

Post by Jon »

Bounty
Emperor's Hand

Post by Bounty »

Pop-up torpedo launchers! Sweet.

I guess that's the new Kelvin they've been hinting about?
Jon
Jedi Council Member

Post by Jon »

Covenant
Sith Marauder

Post by Covenant »

Simon Pegg as Scotty still blows my mind. And that Harold and Kumar guy as Sulu, I just figured that out now when I saw it. I hope they don't drama-ize this too, too much. A great part of the original show was indeed the humor, and with this cast, it would be a travesty not to flex a little funny. It would be awesome. I suddenly care about this movie.
Bounty
Emperor's Hand

Post by Bounty »

Not sure about Nero in this pic, he's trying a bit too hard to be Shinzon. Could just be the pic, though. Check out the ears...

The more I see, the more I like. They even got Kirk's sideburns just right.
Bounty
Emperor's Hand

Post by Bounty »

It seems like Paramount gave five sites (UGO, IGN, TrekMovie, JoBlo and AICN) one image each, so that's it for Trek pics for now.

I like the cast group shot best. Is that sickbay in the background? Can anyone make out what the display says?

EDIT: "...arp factor" - is that the bridge? With the viewscreen behind the cast and some kind of weird-ass floating display anchored on either side?
Last edited by Bounty on 2008-10-15 06:21pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jon
Jedi Council Member

Post by Jon »

It definitely says Warp Factor with a number beneath it, I assume that is the viewscreen.
Bounty
Emperor's Hand

Post by Bounty »

If that's a starship bridge, it looks like it came straight off of the Jupiter II. The movie version, anyway.
Jon
Jedi Council Member

Post by Jon »

And another one

Bounty
Emperor's Hand

Post by Bounty »

Hey, the first pilot desklamps are back!

Looks hella-weird, though. Especially those glass wall... things.

More info on MTV:
- The set you see in the photo is the bridge of the U.S.S. Enterprise, and not a training room.

- When asked why Kirk was wearing black instead of the standard yellow captain’s shirt, Lindelof said that the black uniform was, in fact, a captain’s uniform — and the color was “significant” to the story surrounding this scene.

- It’s no coincidence that Kirk and Sulu are looking a bit ragged in this scene, and Lindelof hinted that the fight they appear to have gotten into might have been with each other.

- Abrams was insistent that every piece of equipment on the bridge serve a legitimate purpose — that they all have “functionality.” According to Lindelof, the maps we see in the background near the top of the communications desk were based on the generally accepted layout of the Star Trek universe.

- While Lindelof said the “red shirt” crew member we see in the photo isn’t significant herself, fans can probably make some predictions about her fate given the color of the uniform she’s wearing.

- Finally, Lindelof confirmed our previous MTV report that the “Star Trek” running time would be two hours.
Last edited by Bounty on 2008-10-15 06:34pm, edited 1 time in total.
Admiral Valdemar
Outside Context Problem

Post by Admiral Valdemar »

Anyone else thinking "I want your power, Kirk" with that second Spock picture?
Patrick Degan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Patrick Degan »

Interesting slant on the redesigns. The uniforms look good. The bridge... looks more like what the movie/TNG bridge should have looked like. But... interesting.

I might actually check this film out.
When ballots have fairly and constitutionally decided, there can be no successful appeal back to bullets.
—Abraham Lincoln

People pray so that God won't crush them like bugs.
—Dr. Gregory House

Oil an emergency?! It's about time, Brigadier, that the leaders of this planet of yours realised that to remain dependent upon a mineral slime simply doesn't make sense.
—The Doctor "Terror Of The Zygons" (1975)
tim31
Sith Devotee

Post by tim31 »

Hooo boy, now I'm really excited. Seven months?? I can't wait that long!!

Patrick, which movie bridge would you have prefer replaced with this? My favorite bridge to date is the STIV Ent-A bridge; I like Nick Meyer's philosophy of anologue controls and gauges mixed with Okuda touches.
lol, opsec doesn't apply to fanfiction. -Aaron

PRFYNAFBTFC
CAPTAIN OF MFS SAMMY HAGAR
ImageImage
Drooling Iguana
Sith Marauder

Post by Drooling Iguana »

Well it looks like they're not going to a "dark and gritty" look. That's always a plus.

Still not overly excited about the movie, but I'll probably rent it when it comes out on DVD.
"Stop! No one can survive these deadly rays!"
"These deadly rays will be your death!"
- Thor and Akton, Starcrash

"Before man reaches the moon your mail will be delivered within hours from New York to California, to England, to India or to Australia by guided missiles.... We stand on the threshold of rocket mail."
- Arthur Summerfield, US Postmaster General 1953 - 1961
Patrick Degan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Patrick Degan »

tim31 wrote:Hooo boy, now I'm really excited. Seven months?? I can't wait that long!!

Patrick, which movie bridge would you have prefer replaced with this? My favorite bridge to date is the STIV Ent-A bridge; I like Nick Meyer's philosophy of anologue controls and gauges mixed with Okuda touches.
I agree that set was a good one. It was still basically the Andrew Probert design but sharper.
When ballots have fairly and constitutionally decided, there can be no successful appeal back to bullets.
—Abraham Lincoln

People pray so that God won't crush them like bugs.
—Dr. Gregory House

Oil an emergency?! It's about time, Brigadier, that the leaders of this planet of yours realised that to remain dependent upon a mineral slime simply doesn't make sense.
—The Doctor "Terror Of The Zygons" (1975)
CaptJodan
Jedi Council Member

Post by CaptJodan »

Jon wrote:It definitely says Warp Factor with a number beneath it, I assume that is the viewscreen.
If my eyes are halfway decent, I think it says warp 4.306 or .308.
It's Jodan, not Jordan. If you can't quote it right, I will mock you.
tim31
Sith Devotee

Post by tim31 »

Not entirely sure, based on two pictures of course, how I feel about the black shirt. In the shot where Kirk is sitting in The Chair, it gives it something of a holodeck fantasy feel. I'll reserve further judgement on it until I see more.
lol, opsec doesn't apply to fanfiction. -Aaron

PRFYNAFBTFC
CAPTAIN OF MFS SAMMY HAGAR
ImageImage
Johonebesus
Jedi Master

Post by Johonebesus »

So I'm the only one who isn't impressed? Kirk looks too young and cute. The bit about a fight between Kirk and Sulu sounds very worrying. Dark and gritty isn't always a move in the right direction, especially given Hollywood's tendency of late to offer us characters who never matured out of an adolescent mind set.
"Can you eat quarks? Can you spread them on your bed when the cold weather comes?" -Bernard Levin

"Sir: Mr. Bernard Levin asks 'Can you eat quarks?' I estimate that he eats 500,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,001 quarks a day...Yours faithfully..." -Sir Alan Cottrell

Elohim's loving mercy: "Hey, you, don't turn around. WTF! I said DON'T tur- you know what, you're a pillar of salt now. Bitch." - an anonymous commenter
Skylon
Jedi Council Member

Post by Skylon »

Okay, I'll be the first fanboy to say it.

WHOO WOO for the return of mini-skirts! May they not appear on men!

There, now that I got that off my chest, the pics ain't bad. The bridge had me thrown for a second, mostly because I don't like that standing console, but other than that, it looks slick.

Did they have to pick such a Syler-esque image to be our first look at Zach Quinto as Spock?
-A.L.
"Nothing in this world can take the place of persistence...Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'press on' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race." - Calvin Coolidge

"If you're falling off a cliff you may as well try to fly, you've got nothing to lose." - John Sheridan (Babylon 5)

"Sometimes you got to roll the hard six." - William Adama (Battlestar Galactica)
spaceviking
Jedi Knight

Post by spaceviking »

not the worst bridge, but looks a little to much like apple designed it.
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

Okay, maybe I'm missing something, but if this is, indeed, the bridge of the big E, and indeed, that black shirt (that never before seen black shirt) is a captain's shirt, how come Kirk is so incredibly young? As per established canon Kirk didn't get command of NCC-1701 until at worst a few years before the start of TOS. Am I supposed to believe what was allegedly the flagship of Starfleet was given to recruits for training purposes?
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
Sidewinder
Sith Acolyte

Post by Sidewinder »

Bounty wrote:Pop-up torpedo launchers! Sweet.
I think those are phaser turrets ('The Wrath of Khan' showed us what Kirk-era torpedo launchers look like, and they're way too big for something like that).

I still like the design; gun turrets say, "You can have my ship when you tear it from my cold, dead fingers," instead of "Don't shoot! We have no weapons more dangerous than a frowning Klingon!" as Picard-era ships seem to say.
Please do not make Americans fight giant monsters.

Those gun nuts do not understand the meaning of "overkill," and will simply use weapon after weapon of mass destruction (WMD) until the monster is dead, or until they run out of weapons.

They have more WMD than there are monsters for us to fight. (More insanity here.)
Ghost Rider
Spirit of Vengeance

Post by Ghost Rider »

Batman wrote:Okay, maybe I'm missing something, but if this is, indeed, the bridge of the big E, and indeed, that black shirt (that never before seen black shirt) is a captain's shirt, how come Kirk is so incredibly young? As per established canon Kirk didn't get command of NCC-1701 until at worst a few years before the start of TOS. Am I supposed to believe what was allegedly the flagship of Starfleet was given to recruits for training purposes?
Actually in ToS it was just another vessel, and not the premier vessel. The latter movies slanted it that way, but the original Enterprise was just another Constitution Class vessel.

As for the pictures, the bridge looks far too sleek. It was made with the ideals of sleek rather then functional but decent looking. And Nero looks like Shizon reborn in that light. This is not putting me in a good mindset.
MM /CF/WG/BOTM/JL/Original Warsie/ACPATHNTDWATGODW FOREVER!!

Sometimes we can choose the path we follow. Sometimes our choices are made for us. And sometimes we have no choice at all

Saying and doing are chocolate and concrete